More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 22:35:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Shopping district black
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Shopping district black  (Read 10100 times)
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Shopping district black
« on: 2008 June 17, 19:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had two houses that were corrupt, so I but the people in the bin and deleted the houses and made new houses and when I click on shoping district  the screen is black except for the street lights.

Can I move the family back to the bin and build new houses on another s.d  lot?  Can I delete that lot if there are no families on it after I move them?

did you ever see  anything like that, the other lots work, strange town, college

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: Shopping district black
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 17, 19:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, from what I've read, it's probably a graphics-card problem, but I don't remember what others have done about it. Updating (or downgrading, depending on the problem) your driver might help, I would think.

Actually, on second thought, it looks like your day/night toggle might just be backward. Did you accidentally click it to make permanight in your 'hood?

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 17, 20:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The screenshot looks like night.  See, the little car has its lights on.  Thing about night is, it's dark.

This does not appear to be borkage.  Can you toggle the day/night button?

Tribulatio proxima est
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 17, 21:13:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no, but I may have accidenly did it.  I will check to see right now...Thanks guys.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 18, 01:20:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your screen looks fine to me.
* J. M. Pescado P&L.
Try not to get eaten by a grue.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 18, 12:05:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, I fixed the day/night thing and it turned back into.  so, I thought eveything was okay but the simms that I put back in, stared acting really weird.   There light stared fickering off and on and the things from insimenator would get a little blue box when  I clicked on them and then they would fall  out of the queque.  the peole with houses in the top part of the lot work fine, just not the bottom two  houses.

I do think the lot is furbud.
  I think I may have messed it up with the comprezzorizer.
 I did not do any core files with it,  only my download  folder.  I used JM's  black box thingy and it did not help these houses.

I am at a lost for what to do next.   I just now installed the lates drivers for my vidio card .

should I move the people that are working to the bin an start a new shoppsing lot and delete the one I have now.   What about the peple  I leave there,  will they delete with the lot?

thanks
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 18, 13:30:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooof.  Spell check FTW, please.  Don't panic.  Type more carefully.  (And remember, I'm the nice one.)

If you believe it is the compressed Downloads folder that may be causing the problem, uncompress it, or replace contents with uncompressed files and test.

You are using the term "lot" where I think you mean "neighbourhood".  Lots have only one family/house on them (usually).  The 'hood has a bunch of streets and lots in it.

Check to make sure you do not have conflicting hacks and that the ones you have are up-to-date.  This means you may want to take your hacks completely out of your Downloads folder (save them somewhere else for the moment) and run your hood to see if problems continue.  If they do not, you can bet it's a hack problem.  Back up your 'hood before you do this.

Tribulatio proxima est
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 18, 16:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never compress hacks. Bad things will happen.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 18, 17:36:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sorry, I will spell check nex't time, If I can figure out how.  Please don't holler at the elderly  Grin

I would like to decompress all the files but I did not know you could do that.  How do you do it?
There is not otion for that in the compressor program

thanks

I took the hacks folder out and still the two lots would not load.  Yes, you are right, I meant the neighborhood  is corrupted.

I also ran SW hack checker and it showed no conflicts.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 18, 23:20:21 by LynnMar » Logged
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 18, 19:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please don't holler at the elderly  Grin

We holler at anyone, regardless of alledged age.  We're very egalitarian that way.  Cool  After all, the FOJ is old - he's old and has a long beard.  Besides, your posted age suggests that you were still 12, or perhaps 18 when I was born, so you're not that old.

Don't know if you can decompress now that things are compressed.  You may have to delete compressed folders and rebuild from backups or from rars/zips.  It's pretty easy to download and update the awesome hacks from the directors cut in any case.

For your borked lots, I would move the sims out to the bin and bulldoze the lots.  You can place new lots/houses for them or move them in elsewhere.  That's likely the easiest way.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 19, 02:15:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's news to me, since all Awesomeware ships compressed by default. I suspect this claim is USDA Grade A BS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 19, 02:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Allege. Either your spell checker is on the fritz or it likes the elderly very much indeed.

If you delete a whole neighborhood, of course you don't have to bother with deleted2 because they're all gone. I don't know what happens for a subhood though. I'd like to know the answer to that also. Does deleting sims by deleting the subhoods leave nasty bits around?

Unsouper
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 19, 05:06:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does deleting sims by deleting the subhoods leave nasty bits around?

I imagine it would, given it's unlikely that nobody from the subhood had ever met anyone from the rest of the 'hood. And if your game's like mine you've the same clerks/baristas/etc. in all your shops/cafes, and there's your spillover right there.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 19, 05:29:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd like to know the answer to that also. Does deleting sims by deleting the subhoods leave nasty bits around?
Deleting a subhood has no effect on sims. Sims are not deleted when you delete a subhood. And aren't you supposed to be souping?

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 19, 06:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's news to me, since all Awesomeware ships compressed by default. I suspect this claim is USDA Grade A BS.

Sorry, I should have specified that compressing them after downloading them could cause problems, as they are usually already compressed. I found this out the hard way.

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 19, 06:20:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Deleting a subhood has no effect on sims. Sims are not deleted when you delete a subhood.

A-HA! And also, duh.
*smacks forehead*

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 19, 11:31:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I should have specified that compressing them after downloading them could cause problems, as they are usually already compressed. I found this out the hard way.

Sounds like you just had a corrupt file. Because once a download is in this particular algorithm, recompressing it does nothing.

(TashaFaun-- you have no reason to panic)

Quote from: jfade
Nope. Anything already compressed just gets decompressed and then recompressed back to the same size. Smiley
LynnMar
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 19, 13:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well it seems to be working now, so far.  I updated my driver and I had a folder with my hacks in in that had not been compressed, so I switched them,
Wish me luck.  I am 62 and you are older than me.  That is WILD

And just for the record,  I think JM is the nice one.  Living underground in his bunker and talking all mean but I got his number, I beleive deep down, he has a big heart and he is just a pussie cat.   I love him   Kiss

I don't have a spell checker on mine   Cry
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 19, 14:04:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well it seems to be working now, so far.  I updated my driver and I had a folder with my hacks in in that had not been compressed, so I switched them,
Wish me luck.  I am 62 and you are older than me.  That is WILD

Who is older?

* jolrei checks his age.

And just for the record,  I think JM is the nice one.  Living underground in his bunker and talking all mean but I got his number, I beleive deep down, he has a big heart and he is just a pussie cat.   I love him   Kiss

Oh dear.  Incoming?

* jolrei waits for explosions.

Tribulatio proxima est
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 19, 19:38:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you just had a corrupt file. Because once a download is in this particular algorithm, recompressing it does nothing.

Nope. When I first got the Compressorizor, I compressorised my entire Downloads folder, including my Global Hacks subfolder. After that, three or four of my hacks quit working, when they had previously been working just fine. When I replaced them with the uncompressorised versions, they worked again. It didn't make much sense to me, either, but there you have it.

Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 19, 19:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I first got the Compressorizor, I compressorised my entire Downloads folder,

There's your problem, if you did it all at once. Compress in small chunks, no more than 2000 files at a time, or risk weird corruptions on all sorts of files.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 19, 19:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I did compressorise in chunks, by subfolder (mainly because I hadn't noticed the 'recursive' tick-box yet), and still had problems with a few of my hacks. It's moot now, anyway. I only compress objects, bodyshop items, etc.

Arina
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 19, 23:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think you're imagining it or anything - my no autonomous fridge-usage hack stopped working the first time I compressorised it (and another one I can't remember). But that was with the very first version, a little while after it came out, and when I downloaded and compressorised them a second time, it was fine. I'm sure you're safe to do it now; I've not had anything break since that very first try. If you want to be safe, back them up (obviously) and maybe just do any hacks that are bigger than a few kb, because those are the ones where you'd get more of a benefit (or only do hacks with instantly noticeable/testable effects, not ones which stop invisible corruption).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: