More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:16:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  Eaxis House of Fail Makeover Challenge
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Eaxis House of Fail Makeover Challenge  (Read 191950 times)
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Eaxis House of Fail Makeover Challenge
« Reply #100 on: 2008 June 18, 21:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My makeover seems a bit pedestrian after seeing some of the more inventive and elaborate ideas already submitted. Smiley It's moderately AwesomeSpec, but not to the letter. I didn't expand the house very much; just added a garage, enclosed part of the back right corner and added space upstairs like many others have done. I changed the exterior to a combo of two stucco tones and used one of the red tile roofs. The landscaping is generally desert/palms, and although the house is shown on lush terrain, I think it would look best on desert terrain. Definitely the most challenging part for me was dealing with those stupid-ass extra chimney walls on the third level.

190 Sim Lane Makeover by Roux
3 BR / 4 BA with garage, pool and greenhouse
Price: 78,481 (depreciated with Magic Wand)
All expansions and stuff packs through K&B installed, with the exception of Teen Style

Click pictures to enlarge, and/or click here to view slideshow with even MOAR pictures.
To download, click here.

Overview: front view; back view; ground floor layout; first floor layout.
Front perimeter fencing provided. Note use of annoying fake chimney for a two-story window above the back door. Kitchen and stairway lockable. Dining room contains caffeination station (front left corner), post-serving counter, and is large enough to add a buffet table for parties (move corner plant). Plenty of room in the yard to expand the greenhouse and add a pond for nature-loving types, place large career rewards, or hold outdoor parties. First floor could be further expanded by using the roof area over the garage.

Ground floor: entryway; living room; dining room; kitchen; bath.
Entryway contains the phone (in the little cubby behind the stairs) and The One Desk. In the living room, I moved the fireplace and used that area for the back door. I've done better living rooms, but it should flow without major traffic jams. The dining room has plenty of seating and room to navigate. Kitchen is neutral with one accenting wall with a backsplash.

First floor bedrooms: master; second; nursery.
I added a stage and plants below the 2-story window in the master bedroom. In both master and second bedrooms, a bedside lamp could be removed and replaced with Sleep Clock. The nursery is not AwesomeSpec, but in a pinch (OMGTWINZ!!11oneeleventyone!) it could hold two cribs and a changing table, and a fridge could go in the hallway. Then upon aging to toddlers, I'd convert the second bedroom into a playroom.

First floor baths: all three of them.

My personal favorite part of the house is the dining room: I really like the contrast of the whitewashed floorboards, purpley walls, and green accents.

With CC, I'd use a modified version of the stairs that are open underneath and store the Lot Debugger, Lot Sync Timer and Macrotastics launcher in the stairwell. This lot was not playtested, but my biggest area of concern is stairwell traffic flow... I prefer landings to be at least 2x2, so there might be some hiccups.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
Night Racer
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2008 June 18, 23:19:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OOO ROUX!  that is full of win :O i'm so downloading that  Grin

I seem to have lost my mind. I'm going to look for it, if you see it tell it to wait for me.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: 2008 June 19, 00:05:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pedestrian, nothing. That's great! Well me, Roux.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2008 June 19, 00:13:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really like your version, Roux.  You did a great job.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2008 June 19, 02:26:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roux, that is gorgeous!  I can't wait to see these all in the game.

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
leaths
Corpulent Cretin

Groovy

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2008 June 19, 02:37:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Roux, I adore that house. It's going to look great in my desert neighborhood.
Cimaronna
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2008 June 19, 03:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rohina, lovely work! I love all of the space available! Especially appreciated is the "tribute" to colorblind decorators everywhere! *Cimaronna snatched another one*

Roux, I don't think "pedestrian" applies, here. Wonderful job! *and another*

(Edit) To grab off houses  Wink
« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 05:09:00 by Cimaronna » Logged

INTJ - Intelligence is what you have available to use. Whether or not you are smart is determined by how well you use your intelligence.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2008 June 19, 04:07:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it just looked so normal in comparison to Hecubus's and Rohina's! Thanks, everyone. I love house makeover challenges, but I work so slowly on building/decorating that I end up past the deadline and then never submit. So, yay me for finally getting off my butt and entering for once.

I'm about to go on a downloading spree here, meself, and will probably also end up with a 190 Sim Lane neighborhood. So many great houses! Too many to comment on all of them, but I can't wait to see these all in my game.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: 2008 June 19, 04:43:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Excellent work Roux! I loved your colorful bathrooms.

*click download link*

Can't wait to see it in game.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2008 June 19, 07:56:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've downloaded most of these, and am indeed setting up a Pleasantview with mostly 190 Sim Lane variations :-)

After I installed the clean neighborhood templates, I started over by putting 5 sims through Uni, they're staying as roomies in witch's Luxury Lodgings until they figure out who to settle down with - or at least get knocked-up by. The first rule is, no babies born @ the Luxury Lodgings! I've already got one of my brave new recolonizers set up with her wife in Emma's v.1 makeover, with an adorable toddler and another baby on the way. So far, the lot has played beautifully, and I can't wait to try the others out! Now, if only I weren't so lazy I'd take more pictures of my new breed of Pleasantview-ians for your P&L amusements...

So laaaaazy....
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: 2008 June 19, 08:19:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay! I've plonked mine in my n'hood, but still have to move sims in. I'm glad it plays well Grin

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2008 June 19, 09:59:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I've actually, finally, started my makeover. I've got the outside done, all the wallpapers and I'm onto floors. Haven't even started furnishing it yet but tomorrow night's Friday night. Yay! I can play as long as I want and my homework's done for now. In fact I'll go and take a couple of teaser shots for you now.

I was going to make a modern house but every choice I made seemed to push me toward old-fashioned. So it turned out very differently to the way I had it planned.

« Last Edit: 2008 June 19, 10:08:29 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Cimaronna
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2008 June 19, 10:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's more than just a teaser. It's almost cruel!  Cheesy Can't wait to see/grab it!

INTJ - Intelligence is what you have available to use. Whether or not you are smart is determined by how well you use your intelligence.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2008 June 19, 10:37:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, well, I've just realised I've disqualified myself.  Cheesy I forgot the exterior wall rule, I didn't change the shape (much), except to widen the bay windows at the front, but I did remove that godawful chimney. I just couldn't live with it! Oh well, I like the house so much I can't wait to play it, so it's not all in vain.

It's taken me about 4-5 hours so far. I was reminded of a poster here once who reckoned he could build and furnish a decent house in a couple of hours. I said bollocks then and I say bollocks now. I reckon just furnishing it will be another couple of hours in addition to the time already spent.

This is probably the part of the sims game I like the most.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: 2008 June 19, 10:48:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I can't wait to download that witch!

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2008 June 19, 12:32:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want it too Witch, even disqualified!

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Cimaronna
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2008 June 19, 12:37:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, well, I've just realised I've disqualified myself.  Cheesy I forgot the exterior wall rule, I didn't change the shape (much), except to widen the bay windows at the front, but I did remove that godawful chimney. I just couldn't live with it! Oh well, I like the house so much I can't wait to play it, so it's not all in vain.

It's taken me about 4-5 hours so far. I was reminded of a poster here once who reckoned he could build and furnish a decent house in a couple of hours. I said bollocks then and I say bollocks now. I reckon just furnishing it will be another couple of hours in addition to the time already spent.

This is probably the part of the sims game I like the most.

Oops! I'll be glad to get it all the same, though. That chimney! I hear you! I can't imagine why the thing is a whole story above the rest of the house but it's a tried and true pain fur sure! *adding the chimney to Pet Peeves thread  Cheesy* Either that guy is a master builder or a consummate liar. Doing this with Maxiscrap* takes twice the time, in my opinion.

*All one word is intentional as it seems so appropriate.

Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2008 June 19, 12:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gethane, thank you for the compliment... I have downloaded more than a few of your Maxis-only houses and they've really helped me pick up ideas to expand my decorating palette.

Witch, that looks lovely so far. I made the exterior walls a really bright color as I was building so I would not accidentally change or delete them. I agree with your comment about the time it takes to build and furnish a house. Maybe a quick slap-dab job can be done in an hour, but I spent a good portion of 2 days working on my house. Between some bad starts, making build tweaks as I began furnishing it, and then decorating and redecorating the rooms, it just took time.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2008 June 19, 14:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That chimney! I hear you! I can't imagine why the thing is a whole story above the rest of the house but it's a tried and true pain fur sure! *adding the chimney to Pet Peeves thread  Cheesy*
I surround chimneys quite a lot, but never that high, and never four squares wide. What the hell? It looks like someone stacked a bunch of life-size legos at the back of the house because they had some left over in the kit and didn't know what to do with them.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2008 June 20, 03:29:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh, forgot to mention that I did have to rotate the shower in the master bedroom's en suite bathroom in Emma's v.1 house so that sims could use it. Apparently the towel bar adjacent to the "entry tile" keeps sims from being able to get in. I opted to rotate the shower rather than lose the towel bar entirely. Stupid EAxis! *shakes fist*

EDIT: Also forgot to mention the lack of lighting in the upstairs hall and kids rooms. Simply fixed to be sure, otherwise though, the actual house layout works really well for my little family :-)
« Last Edit: 2008 June 20, 05:14:25 by jennydee » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2008 June 20, 06:57:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made the exterior walls a really bright color as I was building so I would not accidentally change or delete them.

Huh! Wish I'd thought of that!  Cheesy

It was only after I posted the pictures, when I went back through the thread to look at all the other lots, that I remembered the external wall rule. I've been doing a few Maxis renovations lately and when I got into the flow - hur, the Zone - I forgot everything else.

BTW I've been meaning to ask, what filesharing sites would you recommend? 4Shared, my current, recently wiped a number of houses and witch sim, merely because I hadn't logged in for a month. I don't like the ones that make people jump through hoops to get the files.

Another of my projects has been writing a website to display all my downloads, but broken computers and too much work have ground that to a halt for the time being.

Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2008 June 20, 08:20:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, my first post never worked.

I didn't go overboard with my house - kept it simple because my computer is struggling with all the expansions.
No stuff packs.

2 kids rooms, 1 master room.
kitchen with lockable door, living room/dining/study is all open plan.
visitor bathroom downstairs and two bathrooms upstairs.

The pool isn't very usable in the way of slides or diving boards, but it's long enough that it'll raise body points.
Entertainment area is there generally as a way of filling gaps.

Pictures!

Outside of the house, pool side.

Entertainment area - basket ball hoop, bbq, fire, swing, etc.

Ground floor.  it's very open-plan, with closed off kitchen to stop hungry guests.

Top floor.  3 bedrooms with bathrooms.

It's not the most impressive, but it's small, simple and you can't really *lose* a sim in it.

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: 2008 June 20, 08:22:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooh, forgot to mention that I did have to rotate the shower in the master bedroom's en suite bathroom in Emma's v.1 house so that sims could use it. Apparently the towel bar adjacent to the "entry tile" keeps sims from being able to get in. I opted to rotate the shower rather than lose the towel bar entirely. Stupid EAxis! *shakes fist*

EDIT: Also forgot to mention the lack of lighting in the upstairs hall and kids rooms. Simply fixed to be sure, otherwise though, the actual house layout works really well for my little family :-)

Tee hee, I'm always forgetting the lights Cheesy Sorry. I didn't think the towel bar would affect the shower either....can't you tell I hardly ever use the towel bars in-game? Sorry again Wink

BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 2008 June 20, 08:40:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice, Yecats.  Going to share?

jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2008 June 20, 08:48:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, no worries at all Emma! I wouldn't have thought the towel bar would obstruct the shower either! As for lights, I use the newest version of the Radiance Lighting mod, so I'm always adding more lights in every lot my sims occupy. I really have to look into the tutorial in Peasantry about editing the secret hobby lots, because without extra lighting they're pretty much unplayable for me after 6pm or if it's overcast on the lot :-P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: