More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 03:29:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Body Hair Overlays
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Body Hair Overlays  (Read 34390 times)
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Body Hair Overlays
« on: 2008 June 03, 09:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While perusing the February More Awful Than You contest, I noticed that Pescado and Theo were discussing a body hair overlay using Morague's object.  Now, I created a couple of different tattoo overlay objects based on Morague's and uploaded them over at MTS2, and started a body hair overlay, but gave it up when I realized I couldn't upload it there because body hair is considered "adult content".  The object has five "styles" of body hair using AllenABQ's body hair textures plus some I edited for female pubes, and because each style comes in five colors (blonde, red, brown, black, grey), there would be twenty five packages, plus the object.  Also, because I couldn't be bothered to figure out Morague's automagic hair color selection, the object will potentially have a very unwieldy pie menu.  So, the question is, how many people really want this?  Is it worth the trouble?  Will I be properly worshipped if I finish it?

If the answer to the above questions is a resounding YES, I will finish and upload it here, or somewhere. 

Also, anyone know how to simplify pie menus?  It would be great if the object only required one "remove overlay" option, instead of one for each hair style/color/sex.  Pescado, you have looked at the object, any suggestions?
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
Re: Body Hair Overlays
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 03, 10:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

me me me me me gimme want want want!11!!!!one!

is that yes enough for you? Wink

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 03, 10:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I like it.

This project gave me the crawling creeps after too many hours of work, but I will give it a second go round.  I will crack open my old dusty work files, and see how much I hate it.

When I remind myself just what all the problems were with my bloated packages, I will be back with requests for advice.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 03, 11:27:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Want!

If I remember correctly, there was a problem that made the overlay disappear, especially when the sim walked-by on a community lot.

Now I don't want to give you false hope, because I haven't done extensive testing, but I think there was a way to fix that by giving a custom group (something random, beginning with 0x5f) to the resources in the packages, instead of 0xffffffff.

I you want, I can give you the stuff I made, so you'll have something to gauge with.

Also, because I couldn't be bothered to figure out Morague's automagic hair color selection, the object will potentially have a very unwieldy pie menu.
I think it's better to leave the carpet/drape matching to the user's wishes anyway. Wink
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 03, 11:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really?  I mean about the non-disappearing.  The only pm's I ever get at MTS2 are "OMG!!11!  My tattoss keep disappearing?", even though Morague's thread and mine both say it's a known issue.  I would love to be able to update my tattoo packages.
What did you make, exactly?  Of course, I would love to see it, and pick it apart, and digest the good bits.  Grin

As for the rug matching the drapes, I am of the same opinion.  My bottle blondes do NOT put the chemicals down there, too!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 03, 13:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try their sister site, Sexy Sims2. Or here, of course.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 03, 13:29:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SexySims2 gives me heartburn.  Plus, it's like a black hole that sucks up good cc and replaces it with that fucking sex rock bullshit.  Here will be fine.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 03, 14:39:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want!

But I can't help you iron out anything, as I am decidely non-modding awesome.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 03, 14:43:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I am also thoroughly non-awesome.  I make stuff with a primitive copy pasta method.  I also dig around and break stuff, then spend a long time fixing it.  I also often break it again.  Usually, I don't know what I have done, or why it works.  I just hack at it all until it does what I want.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 03, 14:49:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hur. That's how I code html.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 03, 14:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The blunt object method.  My favorite.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 03, 15:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I don't want to give you false hope, because I haven't done extensive testing, but I think there was a way to fix that by giving a custom group (something random, beginning with 0x5f) to the resources in the packages, instead of 0xffffffff.
This is correct. 0xFFFFFFFF does not work. I just have bodyshop spit out an 0x5Fxxxxxx for me.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 03, 15:14:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I go back and edit my tattoo objects, they will REALLY stick?

I might have to do that.

It will give me a little practice before going back to the hair project.  I've only finished maybe seven of the twenty-five packages, and that was back in January, so I need a little brush up.

Edited to ask: Which resource in particular?  Property sets?  Oh wait, the object package, or the texture packages?  Oh wait, I forgot completely how I made these things.  It will be like starting over, goddamn.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 03, 15:19:58 by SpaceDoll » Logged
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 03, 16:54:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's an additional thought:

For each overlay you wish to add to the applicator (wooden pile), you must code the function to apply (something like Apply.../Set 1.../[Black|Brown|Red|etc]), as well as the function to remove it (Remove.../Set 1.../[etc]).

The same overlay id must be given to the "Plantsim On/Off" function on both cases, or it won't work.

Now imagine we wanted to create a body hair applicator. We'd pick a credible looking object, perhaps like a clothing booth, or the numenorean hibernator cell, and coded in the overlay functions.

The user (we) would choose a pattern/color combination, and command the sim to enter the booth to begin the furring process. Upon completion, that sim would only have one action available on the booth, namely "Epilate", which would shave off the sim.

To accomplish this, the overlay id that has been applied must be stored somewhere on the sim's data, and the applicator object must determine the available actions using that data.

Question: Is it feasible?

SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 03, 17:00:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lord, I wouldn't know, but it sounds just lovely.  I thought my tattoo objects would be nice attached to a salon chair clone, for a tattoo parlor.  Of course, the removal part would be better attached to a sim surgery station thing.  Cheesy
I would like very much to have only one "Remove" pie menu option that worked for all applied overlays of an object.
But I will have to get back into the mod mode before I can even begin to discuss these sorts of variables.  I am not a naturally gifted creator, I must force myself into it, like forcing a camel through the eye of a needle.
Tingeling
Malodorous Moron

- Big Cat AIDE - and proud of it!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 June 03, 21:41:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds like a great idéa. Although I get it when you talk about the camel through a needles eye, I feel the same thing about me creating stuff.

- INTJ -
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 June 03, 21:49:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is already one for male body-hair based on Morague's tattoos, or you want to make something completely different to that? I'm talking about one that can be found at SexySims2.

Dive in!
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 June 03, 22:36:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds cool.  But why make a single object for all those options instead of breaking it up into one object for each of Allen's styles?  That'd solve your pie menu problems and save some unnecessary space and load time for those who wouldn't want all of them.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 04, 00:38:19 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Eleonora
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 June 04, 00:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds cool.  But why make a single object for all those options instead of breaking it up into one object for each of Allen's styles?  That'd solve your pie menu problems and save some unnecessary apace and load time for those who wouldn't want all of them.

Add me to the DO WANT list.
Although I would probablly break it up per hair colour, seems to somehow make more sense to me.

This is her picture as she was / It seems a thing to wonder on / As though mine image in the glass / Should tarry when myself am gone.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 June 04, 03:00:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the object is a crate.  Right now, the overlay doesn't always stay in place when you quit (I'm working on it).  So, say you had a blonde and a brunette in your household.  That's two crates you would have to have hidden on your lot right there.  What if you wanted them to have sparser hair when they were a teen, that got thicker when they transitioned?  That would be two different crates.  If you KNOW you don't want one style or color, you can just take out that package.  If you click on the pie menu option, you will just get an error, not a problem.  The pie menu isn't that bad, just hair style choice, then hair color.  Or maybe the other way around.  It won't be a hassle for the end user, just for me!   Wink

Let me start up the game, and I'll post a screenshot of my WIP.

All right, here it is.  Of course, the top menu will have three more "style" options, but you can get the gist, here.

« Last Edit: 2008 June 04, 03:29:08 by SpaceDoll » Logged
blackcat
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 June 04, 06:03:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DO.WANT.NOW  Grin
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 June 04, 06:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is already one for male body-hair based on Morague's tattoos, or you want to make something completely different to that? I'm talking about one that can be found at SexySims2.

Oh, shit, I hadn't seen this!  Mine was to include female versions also, but I will check this out and might quit if it has all the features I want.  I am off to download, if any one else wants to see it: http://www.sexysims2.com/showthread.php?t=171263
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 June 04, 06:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Question: Is it feasible?
Yes. Not only that, you don't even have to pick a color. For my Ness Belly Hair, the color is automatically chosen to match the color you already chose automatically, so it only contains the option to add or remove the HAIRY BELLY.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 June 04, 07:02:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I AM PWNED!!!   Grin

The object at SexySims is fine by me!  It applies hair that matches what your sim has genetically (you don't get to choose), and there are no options for the females, but that is not that important to me.  It doesn't have the descriptive text that I was using, but I can edit that in just a few minutes for my personal use.  YAY!!!

Edited for clarity
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 June 04, 12:04:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The files at SS2 also use group 0xFFFFFFFF, so it's probable those overlays may peel off!

Here are the files I had made so far: http://theos.chewbakkas.net/stuff/body-hair-overlays.html

EDIT: New location: http://theos.chewbakkas.net/files/?dir=overlays

They all use a custom bodyshop group (beginning with 0x5F, much like skins/makeup/clothing), and are designed to be independent from the sim's hair color. Having a custom group makes it harder to clone, because there's more stuff to rename, but it does spare you the trouble of having to fix TGI the rcol resources.

For each set, there's only one grey overlay which is available to elders only, with its textures set apart in a standalone package. Hence, the grey texture is the same for all four colors.

Each age and gender group consists of two property sets (head + body), and a texture overlay (face), plus all the rcol stuff. Since the head and face textures are empty, I've decided to use the same empty texture for all ages and genders.

Have fun! Grin

« Last Edit: 2008 June 05, 17:42:01 by Theo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: