More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 16:15:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Game is choking and dying. Wah!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game is choking and dying. Wah!  (Read 6986 times)
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
Game is choking and dying. Wah!
« on: 2008 June 01, 07:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* vecki takes deep breath, this could take a while to explain.  Consider yourselves warned

For what seems like forever my game has suffered from the NVIDIA blue screen then crash (well I assume it crashes, the screen goes blank, the monitor's power light blinks on and off, and nothing can be done except to use the magic button to turn the computer off then on).

I updated my video card from the FX5200 128MB to the 7300GT 512MB (heh, thinking back, shoulda gone for ATI instead of another NVIDIA).  Still suffered from blue screen then crash (to add insult to injury, for the 45 seconds I was able to look into a lot, bits were missing from sims).  The animation was much smoother though, I noticed.

I finally found what Assoid Sam had referred to as the 'last known good NVIDIA driver' (he'd made it tough by making a typo.  Grr).  So loaded up the game again and visited the Brokes in my vanilla account.  The missing bits of the sims were now filled in... hurrah!  And there was no blue screen.... No siree.  My computer decided to skip that little inconvenience after the usual 45 seconds and go straight to the crashing.

When I start up the computer NVIDIA does warn me that the card is not getting enough power and will reduce performance to prevent damaging the computer (from what I recall it needs about a 350W PSU and my measly Acer T300 only came with a 200W PSU), but I don't know whether to point at that as being the cause of the crash at this stage.

Thoughts?  I'm all out, thought I'd borrow some of yours.

<insert witty comment here>
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
Re: Game is choking and dying. Wah!
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 01, 07:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I start up the computer NVIDIA does warn me that the card is not getting enough power and will reduce performance to prevent damaging the computer (from what I recall it needs about a 350W PSU and my measly Acer T300 only came with a 200W PSU), but I don't know whether to point at that as being the cause of the crash at this stage.

That's the culprit, you lack the power to support your newfangled video card. 200W PSU can't support most of graphic cards on the current market. Changing driver versions can't solve your problem. Buy a new power supply NOW. From my experience, most of pre-built computers come with crappy PSUs to lower the cost, which are barely able to support newer graphic cards.

I use Sea Sonic 430W for my ATI HD 3800 and am quite satisfied with it. It's stable, and the noise level is relatively low.

ETA: Oh, I forgot my own experience with early crashing. Make sure if CPU cooler is securely attached to the CPU. Overheat of CPU/video card can make the game crash.

Before I upgraded my computer, I got constant hanging with a sandglass after 30 or 40 minutes of playing time. After the upgrade I no longer had hanging, instead the game crashed straight to the desktop without any error message. Turned out that the CPU cooler was not properly attached to the CPU, causing overheat. After I reapplied heat sink and attached the cooler properly, the crash was gone instantly. Lucky I caught the culprit right away, otherwise my CPU would have been fried to death. (Never again will I let anyone else assemble my own desktop.)
« Last Edit: 2008 June 01, 08:36:23 by Lord Darcy » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 04, 01:58:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You needs MOAR POWER!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 04, 04:44:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh.  Suddenly it all comes together for me.  Pescado is Hordak.

We're gonna try plugging in the boyfriend's power supply this weekend, but I'm not sure its gonna be enough (I think it's a 300W supply).  Maybe I'll at least see if the game lasts a little longer, which might give me an idea of if the power supply really is to blame.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 04, 04:54:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's OBVIOUS the power supply is to blame. Didn't the computer flat out WARN you that the power supply is to blame? This is your computer right now:

And a 300 isn't any better. You want at least a 450 for any modern computer, preferrably more. Otherwise the powersupply is overworked and may catch FIRE.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 June 04, 05:18:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I upgraded from the Nvidia FX5200 to the Nvidia 7600GTPro, I also changed the PSU to a 450 but that didn't stop the crashing/blue screen. Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing, you definitely need a better PSU.

However it wasn't until I upgraded from 1 gb to 2 gb that the crashing/blue screen stopped, so if you're problems continue after you swap out the PSU, you might give that some thought.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 June 04, 06:12:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming you mean 1gb to 2gb RAM?

Budcot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 June 04, 09:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering if my problem is the same and would be cured by a larger power supply. The scenario is:

I load up sims and play for a while (with useshaders on, obviously) and then I quit it to play oblivion or vanguard. When I play oblivion or vanguard after playing sims I get the warning about lowering settings due to low power within 2-3 minutes. However my computer only ever does this if I have played sims first without restarting.

So, would a larger power supply fix that problem or the blue screen crashing?
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 June 04, 14:18:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming you mean 1gb to 2gb RAM?

Yes, I ASSumed you would know what I meant. Sorry. Embarrassed

Budcot, I'm certainly not an expert but if my computer was giving me warnings about low power warnings, I would definitely look into getting a better PSU. They are not expensive at all; I believe mine was about $40-60 (can't recall the exact amount now) and the computer place I bought it from installed it for free.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 June 04, 23:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not an ASS KellyQ, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaping to the wrong conclusion.  Wouldn't be the first time.

SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 June 06, 15:57:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I forgot my own experience with early crashing. Make sure if CPU cooler is securely attached to the CPU. Overheat of CPU/video card can make the game crash.

Before I upgraded my computer, I got constant hanging with a sandglass after 30 or 40 minutes of playing time. After the upgrade I no longer had hanging, instead the game crashed straight to the desktop without any error message. Turned out that the CPU cooler was not properly attached to the CPU, causing overheat. After I reapplied heat sink and attached the cooler properly, the crash was gone instantly. Lucky I caught the culprit right away, otherwise my CPU would have been fried to death. (Never again will I let anyone else assemble my own desktop.)

Thanks for reminding me about this; I've recently been having way more crashes than usual and I just could not figure out why until I saw your post.  Then it just clicked.

I used to get the nVidia BSOD all the time until I started turning shaders off.  Then after I installed the latest FT patch I started getting the crashes again- but they were different, crashing straight to desktop or even a complete shut-down, rather than the hanging BSOD/hourglass of the game.  I thought it was the patch at first, what with all the SecuROM bullshit.  But I've been out of town and only really started playing more often after I installed the patch, so I think the game just never had time to crash on me before.  Turns out, it WAS the heat- CoreTemp had me running at between 104-110 F (normal for my system is 92-95 F).  Not surprising since outside temp right now is usually over 100 F by noon, and even with the AC and ceiling fan on full blast the office sits at about 80 F during the day *doh*.  So I found an old floor fan and I have it oscillating between my SO's comp and my own (he's been having all kinds of crashy problems with a new game he's been running, too).  Core temperature is back down to normal for both of us now, and less crashiness in both cases.
« Last Edit: 2008 June 06, 22:17:53 by SnootCB » Logged
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 June 06, 22:00:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Core temperature is back down to normal for both of us now, and less crashiness in both cases.
Lately I've been made to wait until night time just to freakin' run my game  Angry
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 June 07, 05:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it a desktop? Try taking off the side panel so the computer isn't so stuffy.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 June 07, 06:11:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's a laptop, try elevating it on a non-solid object (kitchen cooling racks work well).

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 June 07, 18:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it a desktop? Try taking off the side panel so the computer isn't so stuffy.

Nooo! I need something to catch the cat hair before it gets into the processor's fan. But thanks for the advice; sometimes there is just no fighting the weather.
« Last Edit: 2008 August 22, 18:48:52 by Kazzandra » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: