More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 08:44:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Unlocked "hidden" items from Sims 2, now illegal according to EA?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Unlocked "hidden" items from Sims 2, now illegal according to EA?  (Read 16313 times)
MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
Unlocked "hidden" items from Sims 2, now illegal according to EA?
« on: 2008 July 06, 14:54:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw a thread on the Sims 2 forum front page that was in regards to the hidden objects throughout all the EP's and SP's that were unlocked and made available to download and that EA has considered it illegal now.

Problem is, when I went to go read that thread it was deleted by the moderators.  Did anyone get to see that thread and know anything more about that?  I haven't seen anything removed from modthesims yet, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with the lamps that were extracted from Ikea Stuff?
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
Re: Unlocked "hidden" items from Sims 2, now illegal according to EA?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 July 06, 15:26:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you referring to the drama involving this thread, in which MaxoidDrea (or a sockpuppet) turned up here and demanded the deletion of unlocked IKEA lamps made by Havelock?

Unless the said deleted BBS thread was an official sticky posted by a Maxoid declaring the illegality of offering hidden objects as 3rd party downloads, it does not mean a thing. It simply means that Maxoids/moderators are trying to turn the sheeples away from all the unlocked goodies available here.

Surelyfunke
Bearded Bigamist
Querulous Quidnunc

Beard is yours for $2.50 at Rose Sims!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 July 06, 15:29:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would pretty much ignore any of that, until I see a Cease and Desist letter from EA's lawyers.

MrMugg
Corpulent Cretin

Wanna c a magik trik?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 July 06, 17:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, yeah that's probably it.  EA never ceases to amaze me.  Seems like they stoop to new lows every day, almost as if it's some type of "daily pledge" or goal that they have.    Roll Eyes
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 July 06, 19:20:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the current EULA, I don't see how they could determine them to be illegal. The closest clause would be "Without limiting the preceding sentence, you may not modify, reverse engineer, disassemble, license, transfer, distribute, create works from, or sell the Tool, or use the Tools & Materials to further any commercial or unlawful purpose." However, note that the sentence states you may not participate in those actions to further commercial or unlawful purpose. If it's not to further commercial or unlawful purpose, it's not against the EULA.

Just more bitchery from EA. Apparently someone realized they hadn't pissed off the community enough this week.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 06, 19:31:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the current EULA, I don't see how they could determine them to be illegal. The closest clause would be "Without limiting the preceding sentence, you may not modify, reverse engineer, disassemble, license, transfer, distribute, create works from, or sell the Tool, or use the Tools & Materials to further any commercial or unlawful purpose." However, note that the sentence states you may not participate in those actions to further commercial or unlawful purpose. If it's not to further commercial or unlawful purpose, it's not against the EULA.

Just more bitchery from EA. Apparently someone realized they hadn't pissed off the community enough this week.
I seriously still don't know whether it was a cock puppet or the real deal. It seems like something that would be done just to stir up trouble, but of course being stupid enough to go around acting like they have authority around here sounds right up MaxoidDrea's street.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 06, 23:43:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw a thread on the Sims 2 forum front page that was in regards to the hidden objects throughout all the EP's and SP's that were unlocked and made available to download and that EA has considered it illegal now.

Problem is, when I went to go read that thread it was deleted by the moderators.  Did anyone get to see that thread and know anything more about that?  I haven't seen anything removed from modthesims yet, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with the lamps that were extracted from Ikea Stuff?
Obviously, they changed their minds. What other interpretation can be drawn from the fact that the thread claiming such a thing no longer exists?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 07, 07:22:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you referring to the drama involving this thread, in which MaxoidDrea (or a sockpuppet) turned up here and demanded the deletion of unlocked IKEA lamps made by Havelock?

Where is the thread that had Havelock's deleted lamps in it?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 07, 07:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Havelock deleted the entire thread, not just the lamps.   Tongue

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 07, 07:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a shame, it would have had historical value.  Is that the thread that also had MaxoidDrea's posts in it?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 July 07, 07:48:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, she only posted once though.

Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 July 07, 08:27:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the aforemented message for those who are interested.

Quote from: MaxoidDrea
Hey guys,
This is MaxoidDrea from TheSims2.com.  These downloads need to come down.  They were not meant for download and are illegal to have posted.  If someone knows who I can contact to get this thread down, I'd appreciate it.

I can be reached at maxoiddrea@ea.com

Thanks for your cooperation.
-MaxoidDrea
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 July 07, 08:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I note the Maxoid uses the word illegal. Whilst the usage may be technically correct in a strict semantic sense, the word is clearly intended to convey images of black and whites with roaring sirens and "come on out with your hands up". The only possible offence (and I decline to admit that an offence exists in this instance) is one of a civil contractual nature, which is a world away from handcuffs, a short but interesting lecture concerning one's rights to keep one's counsel, and a ride in a car with no door handle on the inside.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 July 07, 14:07:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It just occurs to me that if they're IKEA branded things, it may be EA themselves only got permission to put a certain number of things into the game (maybe those hidden ones didn't look good enough lol), and that's what she means rather than because of someone unlocking a hidden object per se.  That's why they never seemed to worry about other unlocked stuff.

Though if that is the case then EA were rather remiss distributing them at all!

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 July 07, 14:33:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, then it's EA who is at fault, not "us".

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 July 07, 14:37:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really -- one would think that after all these years of modders finding hidden/unfinished stuff in the game files, EAxis would have a clue and just not leave that stuff in the file if they don't want it found....

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 July 07, 14:39:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really -- one would think that after all these years of modders finding hidden/unfinished stuff in the game files, EAxis would have a clue and just not leave that stuff in the file if they don't want it found....
But that's the thing. They clearly don't have a clue about anything, except money.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 July 07, 14:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if they had that much of brain, they wouldn't leave additional hidden recolors in Store PayShitClothes packages either.

nil
Blathering Buffoon

nil is just an orphan and doesn't own anything.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 July 16, 06:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

a test on the community?

Stop staring at me, stop following me, stop stalking me, stop spying on me, stop petting me, stop touching me, stop pressuring on me, STOP!
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 July 18, 17:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that EA has that EA Store, they could be thinking the items are of value to sell and make more money from. Where before it wasn't a concern for the items to be 'unhidden', but now they realize there's easy money to be made from them. EA has gotten super greedy for more and more money. Nickles, dimes, add up to dollars.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: