More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 June 15, 20:23:21

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540275 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6518 Members
Latest Member: Willaemann
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Flickering, transparent Sims - why, and what to do?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Flickering, transparent Sims - why, and what to do?  (Read 7266 times)
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Flickering, transparent Sims - why, and what to do?
« on: 2008 May 25, 15:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

have a new problem in the game and am hoping someone can tell me if it means there's a problem with my graphics card or if FT is somehow causing it. Suddenly yesterday I noticed that some objects in the house I was playing were flickering or pulsing. I'd had a fire on the lot that seemed similar to another series of fires on another lot that had destroyed an entire family, and then the flickering started.

I played a different lot, a new one that I have not played much at all, and after about an hour into the game, the sims started flickering. Their bodies will disappear and then come back, or parts of their costumes will show but not the whole thing.

What does this mean? Should I uninstall and reinstall FT, or is my (new) graphics card messed up? My computer is only a few months old and has 3 GB of RAM. The graphics card is ATI HD 2600 .
GayJohnScarritt
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Flickering, transparent Sims - why, and what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 25, 18:23:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you change the screen resolution/size?  My game doesn't like some of the screen resolutions.  When you move the mouse/pointer, everything snaps back into focus then they fade out again?

[11:18] Pescado: GJS manages to appear smart and knowledgeable, even though he wasn't really..

Myers-Briggs: - ISFP       Awesome NS2 -  DOOOO EEEET!

[23:56] Pescado: ATTACK, MY DUCKY MINIONS!
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 25, 18:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the mouse pointer doesn't seem to affect what happens. I haven't changed anything on my computer. I guess something got corrupted.
Jade
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 25, 19:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds a bit familiar to me with troubles I had with my ati 2900.  Have you tried running the game in windowed mode?  I still have to run mine like this to prevent wierd flashing of polygons.  I also found that having updated sound and motherboard drivers was a help, due to vista being rough at the start.
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 25, 20:06:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds a bit familiar to me with troubles I had with my ati 2900.  Have you tried running the game in windowed mode?  I still have to run mine like this to prevent wierd flashing of polygons.  I also found that having updated sound and motherboard drivers was a help, due to vista being rough at the start.

Not sure what you mean by "windowed" mode. I have been playing the game on this computer for about a month, so would it take that long for the problem to present itself? I tried so hard to find a laptop with an ATI graphics card because I didn't want to have to deal with nvidia problems, so if it's the card, that's depressing. I did update the driver just today, after this problem started. I haven't played the game since updating.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 25, 21:01:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To run the game in windowed mode:

Right-click on the shortcut to the game and select "Properties". Add "-w" without the quotes to the end of the Target line so that it reads "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSBin\Sims2EP7.exe" -w, or wherever your game folder is located. Make sure there is a space between the "...exe" and the -w.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 25, 21:49:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To run the game in windowed mode:

Right-click on the shortcut to the game and select "Properties". Add "-w" without the quotes to the end of the Target line so that it reads "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSBin\Sims2EP7.exe" -w, or wherever your game folder is located. Make sure there is a space between the "...exe" and the -w.
What is the advantage of doing this? I'm really surprised that there is no ready answer for what's going on. This seems like so many of the other problems I've had over the past year and a half of playing this game, and it always seemed there was an answer or solution to whatever the problem was. Not this time, apparently. Also, if this is caused by the graphics card, why did it take over a month to manifest itself?
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 26, 01:49:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno'-- how about some damn PICTURES so we can know exactly what you mean?

"Flickering or pulsing"-- do you mean flashing blue?

"Their bodies will disappear and then come back, or parts of their costumes will show but not the whole thing." Do you mean their skin tones sometimes disappear just leaving the clothing meshes and textures? Or what? Be extra clear or.... post some DAMN PICTURES!
FourCats
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 26, 01:54:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I play in windowed mode the game seems to take less of my computers resources.  The game runs smoother, and I'm able to do multiple things at the same time, such as run the game, surf the web, burn cds, and run a word processing program, but hubby says that I stress out the computer when i do a bunch of stuff at a time.  Smiley

He built me a nice one nearly 3 yrs ago, it was almost top of the line as far as gaming machines go, but cost 1/3 to 1/5 the cost of a "name brand" gaming machine.  It keeps up with them.  Now 3 yrs later it is a bit outdated, but not obsolete.  We have limited upgrading abilities.  Our computer is about mid range quality compared to other gaming machines.  Not bad.   

I perfer windows mode.  I just click the tabs on the task bar to switch between internet and the game.  Very easy.

May all your fears & worries come true.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 May 26, 02:09:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The advantage of windows mode is that it can actually help if you are having graphics issues or issues related to your card. Some people report that their game runs smoother, doesn't crash as often, so forth, so on.

My two cents, is that it may be a corrupt core file and those files should be replaced.

Edit: never mind. I have read through your problem again. It may be a graphics problem and why the card has suddenly started to do this? It may be overheating.

Or does your problem look anything like the pictures here:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9577.msg265398.html#msg265398
« Last Edit: 2008 May 26, 02:20:14 by morriganrant » Logged

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 May 26, 02:38:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno'-- how about some damn PICTURES so we can know exactly what you mean?

"Flickering or pulsing"-- do you mean flashing blue?

"Their bodies will disappear and then come back, or parts of their costumes will show but not the whole thing." Do you mean their skin tones sometimes disappear just leaving the clothing meshes and textures? Or what? Be extra clear or.... post some DAMN PICTURES!
Sorry my description isn't clear. If I knew how to post pictures, I would. No, there's no flashing blue. The object FLICKERS ON and OFF. That means, one second you see it, the next second you don't, then you see it again, and on and on.  NO, their skin tones don't disappear, their OUTFITS do. The head will show but the thing they're wearing DOESN'T. Okay? If this doesn't convey what I'm trying to say, then learn some English.

I know this is maty, but do you have to get so riled? It's obvious no one has a clue as to what the problem is, so settle down and move on to some other post. Jesus. That's what's so great about playing the sims. There are constant problems, and you try to find out the answers to the problems, and you get nothing but motherfucking bullshit responses from some asshole that needs to spew anger.
« Last Edit: 2008 May 26, 02:46:43 by snapdragon » Logged
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 May 26, 03:21:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

you get nothing but motherfucking bullshit responses from some asshole that needs to spew anger.

I was just trying to get better information so I could help you out.  You have a "unique" problem and it would be helpful for you to give us as much information as possible. I probably did overreact but I found myself so confused by your description I didn't know where to start.

If I knew how to post pictures, I would.

Here's the deal: I'll learn English if you learn to post pictures to a forum.

My advice is to check to see if your graphics card is indeed overheating by going here and downloading that .exe and reporting back here with your results.
Jade
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 May 26, 14:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about unique, it sounds the same sort of problems I had...

Does this look like your problem?  Also you might have "holes" in your meshes, only certain ones, like the hood of the parka from seasons, or some of the dresses from the HM pack viewed from a certain angle and things like that?

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii188/lintan_saver/snapshot_53b4d7c8_73cf5537.jpg

I do know frustrated you are...that picture is from just shortly after I had gotten my expensive brand new computer.  Everything except the sims 2 seemed to run fantastic.  I managed to reduce my problem to almost nil (knocking on wood, it was terribly upsetting and I always worry it will return) by updating everything I could find to do with my main board, and my sound, and using windowed mode forever more.  I hope this can help you.  I don't know why windowed mode helps, I was just relieved that it did.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: