More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 21:31:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  So what the hell are the benefits of being in The Zone anyway?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: So what the hell are the benefits of being in The Zone anyway?  (Read 34285 times)
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: So what the hell are the benefits of being in The Zone anyway?
« Reply #25 on: 2008 May 14, 19:00:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the welcome wagons that make them fat! They come round at noon-of course my sim is hungry then, so I serve a meal. In every new household I make. Bingo! Fat townies! On the plus side though, one of my playables has just opened a gym Tongue

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 May 14, 19:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The one that really bothers me, though, is that as far as the game is concerned, "healthy" and "fattening" are the exact same thing. Somehow adding some homegrown tomatoes to your salad gives it a massive infusion of fitness-draining calories. Good thing I have noeatcrap; otherwise my sims would all be porking out over salad!

But this effect is mainly because there's no such thing as chronic disease in the sims.  That's really what 'unhealthy' means, not specifically fat, but prone to heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.  Many of these are linked to being overweight of course, but in the sims there are absolutely no consequences to being fat.

Also, I've found that stocking the fridge with homegrown tomatoes doesn't make most foods over-filling if your sims have cheap prep, and cooking surfaces.  It's just that the differences between the cheapest vs. most expensive base game counters/appliances is so massive that fresh-fortified foods on the most expensive counters is completely over the top.  Lately, I've been having fun keeping my families dirt poor, and most of them eat one or two full servings a day of what a normal person would eat: a low food value breakfast like cereal, and a high value dinner like pork chops or fish.

Oddly, these values mean that slobby sims are the ones that bathe a lot and neat sims are the ones that don't. Very counter-intuitive.

This is only half-moronic, because neat sims logically should be able to maintain higher hygiene through their anal habits, like the way they eat, for example.  What's missing is stronger tolerance.  Sloppy sims should have a much higher tolerance for personal filth so that they'd walk around in a stink cloud for at least a day, before thinking of bathing. Cheesy
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2008 May 14, 20:15:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just that the differences between the cheapest vs. most expensive base game counters/appliances is so massive that fresh-fortified foods on the most expensive counters is completely over the top.

I don't actually mind the high-calorie, sparkly dinners, but that's only because I have Dizzy's leftover array. Good cooks with expensive counters can make a plate of salmon that'll last for days, lol. It's actually quite convenient in terms of sim-management, because once I've served a sparkly meal, sims can spend the next week pulling leftovers out of the fridge for themselves without attempting Lobster Thermidor when they're only mildly peckish (that's the one thing about the game that's griped my ass the most from the very beginning). No, sparklies plus autonomous leftover-ing is a breeze. I just think it's silly that in an unmodded game a sim will lose significant Fitness while eating a sparkly salad. It's just not very sensible design.

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 May 15, 11:04:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My headmasters are always fat.  Hard to avoid really.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 May 15, 12:34:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But this effect is mainly because there's no such thing as chronic disease in the sims.  That's really what 'unhealthy' means, not specifically fat, but prone to heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.  Many of these are linked to being overweight of course, but in the sims there are absolutely no consequences to being fat.
Yes, but all these are genetic conditions. Since sims don't have genetic conditions, they don't get messed up when you inbreed them, either.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 May 15, 20:45:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But this effect is mainly because there's no such thing as chronic disease in the sims.  That's really what 'unhealthy' means, not specifically fat, but prone to heart disease, diabetes, emphysema, etc.  Many of these are linked to being overweight of course, but in the sims there are absolutely no consequences to being fat.
Yes, but all these are genetic conditions. Since sims don't have genetic conditions, they don't get messed up when you inbreed them, either.

Pescado, I'm surprised that you'd be so sloppy.  Those conditions certainly do have a genetic component, but the likelihood of suffering from them is undeniably modified by behaviour.  I'd be perfectly happy with a rudimentary facsimile of chronic disease in the game, wholly divorced from genetics, depending only on behaviour -- even recent behaviour would be preferable to the complete lack of negative consequences in the game right now.
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2008 May 15, 21:47:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I also have Dizzy's leftover packages (from his Seasons anthology), and while I had great success with the "put away leftovers" one (though had to disable it for dorm lots, that got annoying fast), the "get a leftover" one never seems to kick in. My sims would be on the verge of starving to death when I'd have to direct them to eat something, they'd never try to make themselves a meal either, and since I have "no stuff face" installed too, they wouldn't do that as a last-ditch effor to save themselves either! Probably a conflict my hack scanner isn't picking up.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2008 May 15, 22:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't happen to being a custom refrigerator, jennydee? Because many custom refrigerators were never updated for Seasons, and lack the "Get a Leftover' option.
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2008 May 15, 23:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I can manually direct my sims to get leftovers from the fridge, so I don't see why the mod can't call into that function as well.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2008 May 16, 01:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And you have have-a-leftover1c-serve.package?

Sorry to sound condescending but I know how the hack shuffle is, especially when changing expansions.
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2008 May 16, 01:09:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I have havealeftover1c installed, and there are plenty of leftovers in the fridge. My sims just never seem to autonomously try to make themselves food at all anymore. I still suspect some hidden conflict with the nostuffface hack.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2008 May 16, 02:00:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Inge's No Autonomy Fridge patch and I've never had any luck with Dizzy's Have A Leftover either. I wonder if there's a conflict there?

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2008 May 16, 02:20:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't have Inge's hack, but did have Monique's auto food-ordering hack installed. Trying the game now without it to see if that makes a difference. The hack conflict detector didn't see anything conflicting in those mods, but since my current sims have been harvesting their own food & haven't gotten an auto-ordered basket of groceries in a while, I figure I can try not having Monique's hack for a while anyway.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2008 May 16, 02:52:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Better yet use Dizzy's work-deliver3-40-20.package.

If the fridge isn't already full and if they can afford it, working sims return with a probability of bringing in food. The odds are 40% of groceries, and 20% of a pizza (unless there is already groceries/a pizza on the lot).

Here for Seasons
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2008 May 16, 03:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Better yet use Dizzy's work-deliver3-40-20.package.

If the fridge isn't already full and if they can afford it, working sims return with a probability of bringing in food. The odds are 40% of groceries, and 20% of a pizza (unless there is already groceries/a pizza on the lot).

Here for Seasons
Does the food supply in the fridge have to be at least moderately low before this happens? Or is it a 40% chance every time the fridge is not completely full to the brim?

Because if it's the latter, well, that's a lot of groceries.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2008 May 16, 06:43:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does the food supply in the fridge have to be at least moderately low before this happens? Or is it a 40% chance every time the fridge is not completely full to the brim?

Because if it's the latter, well, that's a lot of groceries.

I'm not sure about the level that triggers it but I can tell you I altered the BHavs of that hack so they didn't do it so often.  It was often enough to annoy me.  Then again I have a very low tolerance for sims doing things without permission.

Inteen for AL, yay!
jennydeenyc
Exasperating Eyesore

what're YOU lookin' at?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2008 May 16, 07:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to report, disabling no-stuff-face seemed to do the trick and allow my sims to autonomously try to feed themselves, coming up with an action to Have a meal but actually pulling a leftover out of the fridge instead. Yays!
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2008 May 16, 12:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Inge's No Autonomy Fridge patch and I've never had any luck with Dizzy's Have A Leftover either. I wonder if there's a conflict there?

Dizzy's Have a Leftover modifies autonomous fridge behavior, so yes, there's a conflict. When sims autonomously try to make a meal, his mod makes them grab a leftover instead.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
highstresslevel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2008 May 30, 17:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the original topic of this thread...

Being in the zone seems to slow motive decay.  Just not by much.

Ran a test:  Max Motives, paint entire painting, screenshot.  Same sim, five times without zone, five times with.  Fresh sim with no LTA bonuses applied.

I layered the results in Photoshop to show any variation between individual rounds; there was little.

Results here: top zoned, bottom not.  http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/highstresslevel/thezonetestresults.jpg
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2008 May 30, 17:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the original topic of this thread...

Being in the zone seems to slow motive decay.  Just not by much.

Ran a test:  Max Motives, paint entire painting, screenshot.  Same sim, five times without zone, five times with.  Fresh sim with no LTA bonuses applied.

I layered the results in Photoshop to show any variation between individual rounds; there was little.

Results here: top zoned, bottom not. 

These results appear inconclusive at best.  Difference is minimal, therefore likely not significant.  Can not reject null hypothesis of no apparent difference.  My view would be that the zone remains, by and large, useless.

Tribulatio proxima est
highstresslevel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2008 May 30, 19:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

These results appear inconclusive at best.  Difference is minimal, therefore likely not significant.  Can not reject null hypothesis of no apparent difference.  My view would be that the zone remains, by and large, useless.

Difference is minimal, but present.  I repeated the test, this time doing two paintings in a row, and pausing as soon as the "painting complete" dialog was displayed.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm1/highstresslevel/thezonetestresults2.jpg (Top zoned, bottom not.)

I did three runs of each zoned and non-zoned.  I layered the screenshots in Photoshop, setting all but the bottom layer to 25% opacity.   This shows that each motive dropped to the same point in each of the three runs, with the exception of environment, which was effected by day/night.  (Note the faint, secondary black line on the environment bars.)  Season was fall for each run, to avoid seasonal motive changes.

Being in the zone does slow motive drain, but again, its not by much. 

gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2008 May 30, 23:01:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

woot, data!

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2008 June 11, 02:42:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims being in the "zone" doesn't seem to be of any great benefit to make it worthwhile for me.

I find the sound so annoying with the constant repetition. I lower the hobby gains to stop it. Is there any hack/mod that puts a stop to that irritating sound? Would be so very gratefull to get one.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2008 June 11, 02:55:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jfade made two versions.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
unregister
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2008 June 11, 05:22:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jfade made two versions.

Thank you gynarchy! I take regular strolls through the Peasantry and I don't know how I could have missed it. This is going to save my sanity!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: