More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 04:07:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  This amused me
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: This amused me  (Read 18045 times)
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
This amused me
« on: 2008 May 12, 13:22:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In all the years I've been playing TS2, this is the first time I've seen a sim spontaneously talk to an inanimate object -- in this case, the Cheat.

(yes, that's H.L. Baratron's self sim explaining why the Cheat is so much better to kick than a flamingo. Smiley)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
nekonoai
Weeaboo
Retarded Reprobate

Hell yeah.

View Profile WWW
Re: This amused me
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 12, 13:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL now all you need is for another sim to come up and make the cuckoo gesture. Wink
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 12, 13:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Surprisingly, none did -- they just walked on by...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 12, 13:43:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sim must be an F. A T would have just kicked it and laughed.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 12, 13:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yea, that's what they normally do.  Her social was about 1/2 full, and talking to the Cheat raised it, so I guess it was her secondary Popularity asp kicking in.  But still, never saw that before, even with sims with Pop as their primary asp.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 12, 15:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I need to get the Cheat.  Anything to stop sims doing sensible life-affirming stuff.

Tribulatio proxima est
muffin-tacos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 12, 15:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL! Looks like someone's found a new friend! Roll Eyes

If stories are what you're looking for, stories are what you're gonna get. Sims Writers Block
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 12, 15:37:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always wished they could talk to the snowman, just like the penguin does. I don't think I've ever seen a sim talk to an object.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 12, 18:32:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims talk to art objects, or rather about art objects. At least, they do if two sims view an art object together. I think they talk sometimes when viewing art solo, or at least I *hear* them talk; can't remember if they do speech balloons when viewing solo or just thought balloons. But one of the speech/thought balloons is always the flamingo or the neon flamingo sign, it seems. So that's what's happening here: the sim is viewing the Cheat and discoursing on its artistic qualities, possibly because the game is confused and thinks the sim at the door is also viewing the Cheat.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 May 12, 21:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So that's what's happening here: the sim is viewing the Cheat and discoursing on its artistic qualities, possibly because the game is confused and thinks the sim at the door is also viewing the Cheat.

No, I'm sorry -- that's the wrong answer, but thanks for playing.  She was talking to the Cheat, as her action icon said.  The "conversation" went on for a good sim hour or so.  The maid had just arrived, and the sim by the door was just passing by -- she had not acknowledged him at all.

If you click on the Cheat, there's a "Talk" menu options. I never noticed if it was also there on gnomes; I'll have to check later.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 May 12, 22:00:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you click on the Cheat, there's a "Talk" menu options. I never noticed if it was also there on gnomes; I'll have to check later.

Now that you mention it, I think I've seen sims talk to a gnome like the one in your picture is doing with the Cheat. Which reminds me of that decorative kitty sculpture that apparently raises Fun in some way, does anyone know anything about it? I mean, can you interact with it in ways other than "View"?

Dive in!
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 May 12, 22:04:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me, or does that sim in the background have a shrunken head?

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 May 12, 22:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me, or does that sim in the background have a shrunken head?

No, his head is odd.  He's one of the Maxis downtownies -- this is in the original Downtown attached to my original Pleasantview, which is still my main hood all these years on...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Blueblood
Blathering Buffoon

My very own a The Cheat gnome! o.O

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 May 12, 23:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do personality points affect which Sims can talk to decorative items? I was doing a photo shoot a while back and I had used the Sim Modder to make one of the Sims I was using full playful. That gave her the option to play with The Cheat. He turns back into a gnome halfway through the animation though. *points to avatar* Cheesy

Edit: I just noticed I wrote outgoing instead of playful. I must remember to not post when I am tired. xD
« Last Edit: 2008 May 13, 23:23:07 by Blueblood » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 May 12, 23:30:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Weird. I'll look into that to see why that happens.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 May 13, 19:02:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sim must be an F. A T

Actually, the sim seems quite fit, to my estimation  Tongue

INFP or something
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 May 14, 17:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So that's what's happening here: the sim is viewing the Cheat and discoursing on its artistic qualities, possibly because the game is confused and thinks the sim at the door is also viewing the Cheat.

No, I'm sorry -- that's the wrong answer, but thanks for playing.  She was talking to the Cheat, as her action icon said.  The "conversation" went on for a good sim hour or so.  The maid had just arrived, and the sim by the door was just passing by -- she had not acknowledged him at all.

Are you saying the Cheat *isn't* based at least partially on the flamingo? I thought it was just a cloned flamingo with modifications to allow it to be placed indoors.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 May 14, 18:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado can answer this for sure (I don't have SimPE handy ATM), but I'm quite sure it was cloned from the gnome. Like Blueblood, I had a 9-10 points playful sim autonomously play with it and it turned gnome-shaped during the animation.

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 May 14, 18:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado can answer this for sure (I don't have SimPE handy ATM), but I'm quite sure it was cloned from the gnome. Like Blueblood, I had a 9-10 points playful sim autonomously play with it and it turned gnome-shaped during the animation.

Same diff, then. The gnome's an art object.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 May 14, 18:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not quite; sim's can't play with or talk to the flamingos, but they can with the gnomes (and the Cheat, which is based on the gnome).

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 May 14, 18:49:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not quite; sim's can't play with or talk to the flamingos, but they can with the gnomes (and the Cheat, which is based on the gnome).

That doesn't make the gnome "not an art object". That makes it an extra special art object. The flamingo itself is an extra special art object, since most of the art objects can't be kicked. No matter which object it was cloned from, sims can talk while viewing an art object, so even if the "Talk to" action itself isn't available as an autonomous action, there's still another route to get to the observed behavior.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 May 14, 21:40:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least the cheat can't be stolen.  That always annoyed the hell out of me with gnomes.  It was cute the first few times, then it was just bloody annoying.
I remember downloading a small decorative windmill from somewhere, but as it turned out, it was cloned from the gnome, so it was stolen the first day.
Another time I had a gnome in front of the house, pretty close to the mailbox.  Some passer by stole it just as the kids were about to get on the school bus, resulting in them all dropping their queue to yell at the thief and thus missing their ride.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 May 14, 21:52:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That doesn't make the gnome "not an art object". That makes it an extra special art object. The flamingo itself is an extra special art object, since most of the art objects can't be kicked. No matter which object it was cloned from, sims can talk while viewing an art object, so even if the "Talk to" action itself isn't available as an autonomous action, there's still another route to get to the observed behavior.

I was going to continue arguing the point that you can't get the observed behavior any other way, but since you seem to believe it, my only response is, 'yea, whatever'.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 May 15, 02:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MATY-- where funny screenshots turn into debates about "extra special art objects!"

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 May 15, 03:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget about sim color preferences. Did you know that sims prefer red?
 Undecided

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: