More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 11:37:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  No choosing dialog
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: No choosing dialog  (Read 6013 times)
abelle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
No choosing dialog
« on: 2008 May 04, 18:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a really strange glitch in one of my lots last night.

I usually donīt bother with fire and burglar alarms and just use the call emergency option, when something happened. So the burglar came and I woke my sim to call the police. He picked up the phone and dialled frantically, then immediately hung up. The dialog, which let me choose between police and fire station didnīt pop up.

As I play with debugmode on, I gave my sim a cellphone, thinking the phone might be corrupt. When he used that I didnīt get the choosing dialog either, but he must have called the firestation, as a firefighter showed up. He fined my sim for calling, when there was no emergency and poked him. The burglar got away with the piano, the stereo and the karaokemachine. All the sims in this house have Music and Dance as their one true hobby.

It was really bad, because the family is quite poor. Everyone else in my newly created prosperity neighbourhood is doing much better.

Later I bought them a birdcage and when I directed the same sim to stock it, no option to choose the bird and name him came up. Instead they got the red one and he got a really long name with the word Tropical in it. I think thatīs the object name for the bird.

No errors popped up at all. I donīt really expect a solution, I just had to share that. It was so frustrating to not be able to interact with the burglar at all. In fact as my sim wants to be a general and had just maxed his bodyskill I teleported the burglar in the next day and let him beat her up. That was somewhat satisfying. I really wish one could fight the burglar, while s/he is burgling, though. It is a tad unrealistic, that my sim would just stand there and let an unarmed burglar take all his most priced possessions.  Angry

Sorry for the useless post. If someone has any kind of solution, I would of course be grateful to hear them. At first I thought it might be the phonehack, but as no errors popped up and the same thing happened with the bird, I am pretty sure that is not it. I couldnīt recreate the problem on another lot either.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: No choosing dialog
« Reply #1 on: 2008 May 04, 19:44:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is how the game is designed. Once the burglar arrives, sims have no way of stopping her/him. This is meant to teach silly simmers that, unless their sims stay awake 24 hours per day, and never leave the house, then they need a burglar alarm.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 May 04, 20:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

notveryawesome, did you even read what their issue was? The issue is that they were unable to call the police because there was no popup dialog, and the same happened with naming their pet bird. Had they been able to call the police they'd have been able to free the burglar and thus interact with them.

INFP or something
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 May 04, 21:35:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say first, glitched lot, or second, hack conflict, or third, old hack for new EP.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 May 04, 23:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say first, glitched lot, or second, hack conflict, or third, old hack for new EP.

...not necessarily in that order?

Tribulatio proxima est
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 May 04, 23:40:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can find the [hack conflict detector] at Paladin's Place under Sims2, then Programs (2nd listed item). It will show conflicts if you have the same hack in two places (I've done this) or downloaded hacks that are editing the same functions and most likely fighting amongst themselves, causing undesirable behaviors in your game.
Blueblood
Blathering Buffoon

My very own a The Cheat gnome! o.O

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 May 05, 02:44:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you installed anything new lately? I had the same problem with Sims dialing and then hanging up after downloading a mod that was supposed to add the "call to meal" option to custom plates of food. o.O Don't think I tried using a cell or adopting a bird though. Either way, that was the only thing I had added to my Downloads after the last time I played and the phones seemed to work normally again after removing it, so I don't think it was a fluke.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I always run the HCDU after installing any mod to lower my chances of doing something dumb to my game. It came up clean with my other stuff so I'm thinking it was just outdated or totally put together assbackwards. It was by Morague from MTS2, by the way.
abelle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 May 05, 15:59:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it was just a glitch, though. I couldnīt recreate it and I very recently installed freetime and updated all my hacks. Ran the conflict scanner as well and only the usual TJ/pes conflicts showed up, which according to TJ are not harmful if I make sure his hacks load after pescados.

All my other lots get choosing dialogs. In fact it might even be all other sims get choosing dialogs, as I didnīt test with any other household members. It was just very frustrating. I sat in front of the screen yelling at the firefighter: "What do you mean, calling when there is no emergency? Canīt you see the burglar. Itīs not my problem, that you show up instead of the police."

And I really hate, that my sim canīt beat the burglar up himself. He certainly could the next day. Unfortunately he is very nicepoint heavy and now wants to apologise to the stupid burglar all the time.  Undecided

I thought notveryawesome meant, that the police canīt be called after the burglar entered the house. It is possible, that I always managed to call before the burglar actually entered the lot before. You can definitely call the police after the burglar shows up, as I do that all the time. Sometimes the police is too late, but I think that is kind of realistic. Not beeing able to fight the burglar by themselves is not.
Kazzandra
Pinheaded Pissant

spukhafte Fernwirkung

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 May 05, 16:03:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess it wouldn't be too PG-13, but I'd love it if you could fight the burglar and DIE! Now that-- would be interesting.
abelle
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 May 05, 17:12:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just posted the same wish in the wishlist thread in the podium.  Grin

I am pretty sure sims killing other sims will never be a feature, although that graveyard lady in strangetown was certainly set up that way.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 May 05, 18:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once again, I point the blame squarely at tight pants.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: