More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:24:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Just a heads-up
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Just a heads-up  (Read 10141 times)
Ayslhyn
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Just a heads-up
« on: 2008 April 06, 23:05:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a few of the downloads from this http://www.simsdesignavenue.net/EN/themes/menu_themes.php  site are causing my machine to crash like a frickin Russian spaceship

Avoid the "Rosee de Matin" and "Out of the Way cafe" in particular

I had problems with this stuff before (a pity as it is really good). Currently it is fucking up my decorative items selection. If I select either "All" or "Misc" from that menu the puter crashes straight back to the desktop.

Not good. Just to warn others,

maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
Re: Just a heads-up
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 06, 23:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? I have a whole pile of stuff from there in my game which works without problems (so far anyway).  I don't have the two sets you mention though.

Edit:
actually re-reading your post, it sounds like it might be just the one object causing the bother since it's just one thing that sets it off.
« Last Edit: 2008 April 06, 23:20:33 by maxon » Logged

Inteen for AL, yay!
Ayslhyn
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 06, 23:15:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So do I. And the wretched machine is a mac and a big powerful one too.

Still crashing

professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 07, 01:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had mixed results from that site.  Some of the stuff is absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't be without it (the hearse!  I can't resist the hearse!)  On the other hand, I have had crashes that seem to occur when accessing the buy tab.  It's almost always under Dec/Misc or Lighting/Misc.  When the individual item is removed, the problem goes away.  I'm assuming that those items are high poly count or something.

Try removing a few of those items at a time.

PB

Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 07, 14:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, some of her items are high-poly; as gorgeous as they are, the Campagne and Louisana kitchens seem to cause some problems. I think they could have gotten the detail they wanted with good textures rather than with adding mesh detail.

In my experience, however, what crashes one game does not necessarily crash another; I have yet to have an item from Sims Design Ave (formerly Caravan Shop for those who are confused) actually crash my game - and I often use the Rose do Martin set. And there's no telling why... but I know there are items I can use for my own game that I can't put in lots I release because I've had enough others say they cause problems.

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 07, 14:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, great, some beautiful stuff that I've never seen before that may or may not fuck up my game.
Thanks for that link; thanks so much.

***off to download
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 07, 14:46:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OMG!!! That's what it is! I've had this one community lot in a state of perpetual loading and I have tried everything to fix it, including resetting the portals and rebuilding the entire lot. Now I'm going to check on one item I used from the Out of the Way set. Stupid sign, I swear if that is the problem I'm going to pillage that site!
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 07, 14:58:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh, those neon signs just seem like they would drag the game down. Very pretty though. I wish there were more pictures of the inside...

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 07, 15:26:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The church stuff is great.  I may have to download some of the decorative stuff and build a cathedral.

I'm a bit upset that the pipe organ requires PETZ, since I really did not want to get that EP.  Might have to bite the bullet...

Then again, the idea of a church that makes the game crash (while an amusing notion) does not sound like the path to tranquility.

Tribulatio proxima est
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 07, 16:50:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was the sign! It's the liquor store sign from the bus stop set. Dammit, that's the only nice sign for a liquor store out there.

jolrei, the church objects work fine. I don't have the organ, though.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 07, 16:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good, and dammit!  I'm an anglican married to an organist.  If I build a church, it must haz organz, otherwise the whole scheme falls apart!  Do not want PETZ!

Thanks for the tip, MBlue.

Tribulatio proxima est
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 07, 17:05:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good, and dammit!  I'm an anglican married to an organist.  If I build a church, it must haz organz, otherwise the whole scheme falls apart!  Do not want PETZ!

Thanks for the tip, MBlue.

The organ is lovely in-game. The console is small and separate, but then you have that huge display of pipes. It makes my Church of the Sacred Code (with a sepulcher in the basement) gorgeous, and has never caused me any problems.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 07, 17:16:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The organ is lovely in-game. The console is small and separate, but then you have that huge display of pipes. It makes my Church of the Sacred Code (with a sepulcher in the basement) gorgeous, and has never caused me any problems.

Angry 

Oh what the hell, maybe I have to get petz after all.  A church without an organ is like a guy without an organ.  Discuss.

Tribulatio proxima est
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 07, 17:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angry 

Oh what the hell, maybe I have to get petz after all.  A church without an organ is like a guy without an organ.  Discuss.

What immediately came to mind was the power and glory of "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes. They are, IMHO, a very reasonable alternative...

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 07, 17:24:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What immediately came to mind was the power and glory of "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes. They are, IMHO, a very reasonable alternative...

So much innuendo. Grin   I salute you.

Tribulatio proxima est
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 07, 19:17:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I concur - this is the best church set in the community. Their alchemy set is also gorgeous, and it has a hidden door bookcase that works beautifully.

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 07, 21:41:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can just agree with all said about the medieval stuff - its absolutely necessary for a themed hood. And I haven't had any crash problems with it, as far as I know.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 08, 19:41:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah well, you might be in for a disappointment there - the organ, indeed, looks fab in a church with the pipes but ... it doesn't sound like one and if you're married to an horganist it just won't feel right.  It sounds (surprise) like a piano.  I had a similar problem with the harpsichord from MTS2 - looks lovely but ... well, I play the harpsichord (along with the piano) for a living.  There is a way to replace the sounds on a object now - I keep meaning to find out how.

Inteen for AL, yay!
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 April 08, 21:40:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah well, you might be in for a disappointment there - the organ, indeed, looks fab in a church with the pipes but ... it doesn't sound like one and if you're married to an horganist it just won't feel right.  It sounds (surprise) like a piano.  I had a similar problem with the harpsichord from MTS2 - looks lovely but ... well, I play the harpsichord (along with the piano) for a living.  There is a way to replace the sounds on a object now - I keep meaning to find out how.

Ooooh, when you do, will you please post the sound files? It would be truly awesome to have that organ sound the way it should.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 April 09, 01:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I liked that place back when it was simscaravan, I miss it. They had a lot of cool stuff, they seem to have weeded most of it out.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2008 April 09, 01:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may not be clicking in the right places - all of their TS2 content is there in the new design, at least as far as I can tell. What's missing?

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 April 09, 04:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lots mainly, I keep running into custom content that keeps pointing me to their lots(that no longer exist and had some random mesh that they made) or some mesh of theirs that I can no longer find. That, and I just liked their older stuff, I'm not such a fan of modern furniture ...I like antiques.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
chordin
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 April 09, 07:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Their alchemy set is also gorgeous, and it has a hidden door bookcase that works beautifully.

I recommend to check the poly counts. Some of them are just awful.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: