More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 22:01:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  WOW EA admits to a cock up
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: WOW EA admits to a cock up  (Read 26573 times)
Celestra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
WOW EA admits to a cock up
« on: 2008 April 03, 17:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just seen on the official site under Freetime that EA have admitted to a cock up

If your sim has sewn the gold badge custom clothes it changes the skins file in game and the patch cannot install because of that and henceforth the message to uninstall and reinstall freetime when patching

Obviously they didnt test the patch installation but is this a first by them to admit fricking it up
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: WOW EA admits to a cock up
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 03, 17:33:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My patch loaded just fine.  I suppose it was a good thing my only sim who had a gold sewing badge died before the patch came out. 
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 03, 17:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh noes can this be!? Yep, it's true.

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=af0e6c010e9a5076852043768446ffc2&directoryID=217&startRow=1&openItemID=item.217,root.1,item.43,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

How funny is that? They only bother testing when there is a problem. Or rather, the QA team didn't do jack shizzle and left it up to the programmers to track it down.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 03, 18:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience very few so-called testers actually test let alone give feedback.  I have a handful or less of communicative reliable people to test my hacks, and the rest just want to download the stuff and go off and whinge on other sites if it doesn't work.

I wonder what would happen if we made skins.package readonly and our sim got a gold badge?  Would the game crash?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 03, 18:26:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my experience very few so-called testers actually test let alone give feedback.  I have a handful or less of communicative reliable people to test my hacks, and the rest just want to download the stuff and go off and whinge on other sites if it doesn't work.

I wonder what would happen if we made skins.package readonly and our sim got a gold badge?  Would the game crash?

I have experienced both good and bad testing. When you have a proper dedicated test department with experienced testers it makes bugs much easier to track down. Of course that also assumes the team producing the code/content have provided detailed specs of expected behaviour for the QA team to test against. By this stage in the game EA will be far more interested in getting the product out the door than delivering something that is perfect; as time goes on the quality bar is lowered.

seraphim
Asinine Airhead

Alex P. Keaton is the Devil!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 03, 19:05:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then again, you don't pay your testers.  EA does.

Why the hell should that matter? If you sign up to be a tester for something, you should fucking test it!
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 03, 21:34:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A number of things can interfere with proper testing.

I've worked with QA departments who saw themselves as adversaries to the development team.  Weird, I know, but it happens, and it makes proper testing nearly impossible.

I've worked with individual testers who were awful.  It's a low paid job, often on a contract rather than permanent basis, and as a result the people in QA often aren't very good.  Some are, of course.

I've worked with prima donna programmers who refuse to acknowledge bugs until you beat them around the head and shoulders.  As a programmer, this annoyed me no end.

Worst of all, sometimes management decides to force release before either QA or development thinks the game is ready.  There's just no defense against that.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 03, 21:48:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't figure out why the patch kept getting an error at skins.package, but it makes sense now since I have made lots of clothes on the sewing machine. Either way, I'm not deleting my skins.package since I'd lose all those clothes. It seems like they should have caught this error in the first place since they programed the game. I mean, they made it so clothes made on the sewing machine saved to the Skins.package and they knew the patch won't work if the file size of any of the files it needs to update is different than after a fresh install. So how'd they not know this would happen?
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 03, 21:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See someone said ..oh we can make this work faster by saving these new skins to the skins.package. Then didn't tell QA.
QA probably only ever tested originally to see if "yes" the new clothes appeared on a gold badge. Probably by just giving a gold badge and trying to sew.
My hunch is that the QA at EA is outsourced. They probably get a list of "this is what we changed" with no additional information about what those changes may or may not hook into. Why would the testers need to know that?!? If they knew the "details" they would be developers right?

The "darn" testers only need to know what to test and test it. The direct result of this thinking is exactly what we see here. I would bet they never tested the patch on a game that had been running in process to have multiple long term families. Who wants to lay bets that they often use a testing environment. Possibly half the game, one lot. They can only test whatever is to be tested at that moment in time. I can also guess that if they spend time messing around doing things other than what they are to test they get in trouble.

Gold badging a sim, making clothes then testing the patch is not obvious. The number crunchers may never have thought about testing it.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 03, 22:03:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I wrong, but I thought that making custom clothes was silver badge thing. Am I not remembering right?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 03, 22:06:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that no one ever bothered to tell the new programmers that it's usually not a good idea to modify system files -- that's what the 'My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2' directory is for.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Ryslin
Dimwitted Dunce

I/E NF P/J- Yah , what about it?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 03, 22:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Soo true Jsalemi..

and Jelenedra--
to be honest no idea, if it is silver or gold. I haven't gotten a sim that high in sewing yet. I was using the given examples in the thread of gold badge level.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 03, 22:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't remember, I don't THINK my sim got the gold badge, but my memory is a bit shady sometimes. I do know I've been using him as a clothing tool. All the toddlers in the house grew up into nice clothes thanks to him.

ShortyBoo
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 03, 22:32:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure you need the gold badge to make custom clothes (where you pick the colors or patterns for each part) and with only a silver badge you can only make the clothes (Maxis or downloaded) that you find in CAS and can buy for your sims. So instead of them buying clothes to add to the wardrobe, sims can just sew those same clothes for less money.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 03, 22:33:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And this is why I haven't even ARRRed FT.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 03, 22:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm pretty sure you need the gold badge to make custom clothes (where you pick the colors or patterns for each part) and with only a silver badge you can only make the clothes (Maxis or downloaded) that you find in CAS and can buy for your sims. So instead of them buying clothes to add to the wardrobe, sims can just sew those same clothes for less money.

So, if that is all I have done, I should be okay without reinstalling?

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 03, 23:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At this rate, I fully expect TS3 will cause our computers to catch fire and explode.

Forrest_Roberts
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 04, 02:04:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stop arguing and let's discuss what really matters. When will they get a new patch up and running?
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 April 04, 02:34:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stop arguing and let's discuss what really matters. When will they get a new patch up and running?

Looks like someone ate his Wheaties this morning.  Cheesy

I'm so glad I didn't install the patch the other day after I downloaded it. I don't need any more EA borkination.

Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 April 04, 02:57:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Er, why are you asking this here? The modders here just fix whatever is borked by the patch, they don't make the patch itself.

I sing along with elevator music.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 April 04, 04:15:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not to mention that no one ever bothered to tell the new programmers that it's usually not a good idea to modify system files -- that's what the 'My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2' directory is for.

Not only that, but I bet it breaks multi-user support.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2008 April 04, 10:10:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well speaking of updating files erroneously - what about all the data files?  When you play one hood, *every* hood file is touched.  I bet they're all read and saved back, which is probably why the game takes so long to unload after you've finished playing.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Alex
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 April 04, 10:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I've never understood why the game needs to do that. It's just a waste right? Going back to The Sims 1 (yes I have a slight obsession with it at the moment, but for the right reasons), it only ever opened up the neighborhood you were using. You could go ahead with external editing programs (like IFF Pencil) in say Neighborhood 1 for example while the game was in Nhood 2. It's fantastic, trust me.
Stitches
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 April 04, 15:21:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well speaking of updating files erroneously - what about all the data files?  When you play one hood, *every* hood file is touched.  I bet they're all read and saved back, which is probably why the game takes so long to unload after you've finished playing.

Idk. That's why I only put one Neighborhood folder in at a time. The rest just hibernate in MyDocs.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 April 04, 22:04:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good, at least it's not just me that's having that problem. The shutdown time with Vista isn't too bad, but for 2003 it was absolutely horrible. Took longer to close up and clean up than to actually start the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: