More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 04:15:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  LCD Aspirations
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: LCD Aspirations  (Read 11389 times)
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
LCD Aspirations
« on: 2008 April 01, 20:06:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado, will you please expand the "toggle LTW" function on the debugger to include children (and perhaps toddlers!) since EAxis, in their infinite wisdom, has lowered the aspiration bar yet again. I just had two toddlers transition to childhood and achieve lifetime permaplat. Apparently learning to walk, talk and use the potty is all it takes to reach Simish Nirvana now.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Re: LCD Aspirations
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 02, 01:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this something that started with the Freetime patch?
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 02, 02:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, just Free Time. Filling that Lifetime Aspiration Meter is always ludicrously simple, but it seems that the younger the sim is when he begins, the easier it is. My two sims now have a memory that says: "Over my entire lifetime, I've aspired to certain things. It's nice to know that I managed to achieve most, if not all, of them. I can die happy now." This was awarded on the first day of their childhood. They (twins) learned to walk, talk, use the potty, snuggle, play with blocks and bang on a couple of toys. They made BFF with their parents and each other. They grew up well. Apparently that is all that's necessary for a permaplat life.

With every expansion EAxis reaches a new nadir of lame. Harder jobs, harder grades, and my own rules have previously helped keep the game interesting, but how can I overcome this?

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
talysman
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 02, 02:43:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Harder Aspirations?

I've been wondering whether it's possible to do custom aspirations. Obviously, they wouldn't be selectable from CAS, but perhaps someone could put together a selector object with custom aspirations and any necessary custom wants and fears. I've been thinking about looking into this, but I figure it's an advanced task. Still, I have ideas I want to implement, dammit.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 02, 04:54:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had simEmma at double permaplat halfway through her life, just from maxing all skill points, getting her LTW, getting married, and having kids. That plus snapdragons means she's now no more than an afterthought in my play. Borrrrrring.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
quasim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 04, 09:24:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The FFS Lot debugger has this nice entry: Toggle LTW Bit. That works perfectly to change from permaplat to normal and back. The Insimenator should do the job too
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 04, 09:54:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree that permaplat sims are boring, and i've been looking all over for a way to undo the permaplat.  I downloaded the debugger just for that reason, but it's not working for me.  Am I doing something wrong?  I buy the debugger box, set it on the property, make the permaplat sim active and have him click on it, and have him choose Wants.../Set/Remove Lifetime Want Bit.  And nothing happens.  I've tried having non-permaplat sims do it too, and nothing happens for them either.  Am I missing something?  The "Reroll Wants" option works, so it's not that the debugger doesn't work at all...Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much for any advice.  I hope this was an ok place to post this.

Are you waiting until the next hour in the game? 

If you toggle the permaplat off, then at the next hour you should see the sim's aspiration drop slightly (although it will still be in platinum).  And if you toggle it on, the aspiration may not rise to platinum until the next hour.

The FFS Lot debugger has this nice entry: Toggle LTW Bit. That works perfectly to change from permaplat to normal and back. The Insimenator should do the job too

Quasim, I suggest you read Simzoidberg's post again.  They stated they have tried that option on the lot debugger, but it doesn't seem to be working for them.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 04, 20:43:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does InSim work for children? Because the option to toggle is NOT available for them on the lot debugger.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 05, 05:02:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm also finding that the toggle LTW bit on the debugger is not removing the life time aspiration type of permaplat.  Extremely depressing, really.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 05, 20:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see why it would - the debugger toggles the LTW bit, which causes permplat, but if that's no longer the only cause of permplat, you'd think the test for "am I permplat" would still return true because of lifetime aspiration. Unless lifetime aspiration permplats a sim by toggling their LTW bit? But that would make no sense.

INFP or something
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 05, 21:25:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd just be happy if something could drain the life time aspiration meter.  I suspect the check for permaplat from life time aspiration is along the lines of "is my meter full?"

I'm no expert of course, but it's giving me the whatsits!  This is where something like Hook's old semi-permaplat would come in handy if it could be made to work.
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 05, 21:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to see one more check added: "Is this sim an elder?" If the answer is no, then no permaplat. And even there, I want the Peggy Lee mod...
after three days of satisfaction they plummet to that line between red and green...

"Is that all there is, is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball,
If that's all there is..."

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 06, 03:09:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, just Free Time. Filling that Lifetime Aspiration Meter is always ludicrously simple, but it seems that the younger the sim is when he begins, the easier it is. My two sims now have a memory that says: "Over my entire lifetime, I've aspired to certain things. It's nice to know that I managed to achieve most, if not all, of them. I can die happy now." This was awarded on the first day of their childhood. They (twins) learned to walk, talk, use the potty, snuggle, play with blocks and bang on a couple of toys. They made BFF with their parents and each other. They grew up well. Apparently that is all that's necessary for a permaplat life.
I have never seen this happen. Are you sure that it's not the work of the non-Awesome?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 06, 03:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never seen this happen. Are you sure that it's not the work of the non-Awesome?

Quite sure. It's probably because I play with longer lifespans--durations I feel are appropriate, but without turning ageing off. This is really messing with my play style. Before FT keeping them young a while longer was not a problem--it was funny to watch my Family sims struggle with a houseful of toddlers and role up fears of having a baby, and I routinely strip all my sims of skills when they have a birthday--toddlers can carry no more than 1 point earned into childhood, children no more than 2 points, teens no more than 3 or half of what they earned, whichever is less. (Banging on a toy xylophone doesn't enable you to play like Horowitz, and being a high school jock is not enough to get you into the major leagues...)

But I don't think that really matters all that much. Every snuggle, every tickle, every toddler skill fills that lifetime bar and nothing ever drains it.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 06, 06:52:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like it's a combination of your playstyle of extended lifespans and also that you are filling their hug/play/read/talk wants.

After 4 days my toddlers are maxed out in 2 skills (and close to maxing out a third), have the 4 toddler skills learnt (including learn a nursery rhyme) and are best friends with whoever taught them the toddler skills as well as BFF with any other toddlers on the lot.

I reroll their wants on the lot debugger so that they want to learn the toddler skills when I want to teach them.  And I reroll after every skill point gained, so that they will start getting the wants to gain numbered skillpoints for more aspiration points.

This means my toddlers are getting a decent amount of aspiration points out of their toddlerhood, yet at transition to childhood they only have 4 - 6 LTA points to spend (including those already spent).  The only toddler wants I don't bother to satisfy are the ones that want me to "interrupt a sim that is busy to come give me some social that I don't need anyway, since my social need is fine".

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 06, 10:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like it's a combination of your playstyle of extended lifespans and also that you are filling their hug/play/read/talk wants.
Agreed. However, it sounds like you are not in much better shape (assuming you would like to avoid permaplat) delaying the onset until sometime in the sim's childhood or teen years.  I'd like to prevent or undo such nonsense entirely.

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 06, 12:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that was my playstyle - to max all skills as a child - but not any more.  I realised that my gamer side (max out all as early as possible) was leading to boredom in my game later on.  Permaplat adults sitting around yawning while power idling are not fun to watch.

I realised that to maximise the fun aspects of the game I had to let some of my must-max-everything gamer tendencies go.  I no longer allow education bookshelves on my lots, for example.  I'm letting my sims have more free will, rather than driving them to skill.  I'm considering ideas other people are using in their games to slow the boredom down (e.g. applying skill penalties for unlucky events such as burning food or clogging the toilet, halving skills on every age up, not allowing smart milk, only skilling if the sim has a want to skill, etc).

It's the way I was playing that was causing the boredom problems in my game, and once I realised that I started changing some of my self-imposed rules & altering my playstyle to make the game more interesting for me to play.
« Last Edit: 2008 April 06, 13:08:11 by Kyna » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 06, 13:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quite sure. It's probably because I play with longer lifespans--durations I feel are appropriate, but without turning ageing off. This is really messing with my play style. Before FT keeping them young a while longer was not a problem--it was funny to watch my Family sims struggle with a houseful of toddlers and role up fears of having a baby, and I routinely strip all my sims of skills when they have a birthday--toddlers can carry no more than 1 point earned into childhood, children no more than 2 points, teens no more than 3 or half of what they earned, whichever is less. (Banging on a toy xylophone doesn't enable you to play like Horowitz, and being a high school jock is not enough to get you into the major leagues...)
I think that's your problem. The LTA gain per aspirational hour is calibrated for base sim lifespans. If your sim lifespans differ grossly from the base figure, you obviously need to change the payout. Notice how YA sims, according to the propaganda material, have an LTA rate that is MUCH lower than other sims? It's because they're operating on asynchronous time that has a different scaling factor. Basically, by breaking the game in ways that were never intended by EAxis, you have created a uniquely Croiduire problem.

Well, that was my playstyle - to max all skills as a child - but not any more.  I realised that my gamer side (max out all as early as possible) was leading to boredom in my game later on.  Permaplat adults sitting around yawning while power idling are not fun to watch.
Frankly, watching them grind skills isn't all that interesting to watch either! And I was raised to believe in "work before play", so it just runs contrary to my nature NOT to do so. It bugs me to the point where it gnaws away at any fun that can be derived otherwise. I simply can't find it fun to do it any other way. Work before play, business before pleasure.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 April 06, 13:16:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Frankly, watching them grind skills isn't all that interesting to watch either! And I was raised to believe in "work before play", so it just runs contrary to my nature NOT to do so. It bugs me to the point where it gnaws away at any fun that can be derived otherwise. I simply can't find it fun to do it any other way. Work before play, business before pleasure.

Well, that is what I was doing.  Grinding the skills as a toddler/child.  Then watching them yawn for much of the rest of their lives while on their home lot.  If I only train the skills the sims want to train I'm breaking up the boring grind - and I'm getting less permaplat knowledge teens.  The next change I'm going to try is making less knowledge sims as they're far too easy to keep in platinum aspiration.

croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 April 06, 14:52:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that's your problem. The LTA gain per aspirational hour is calibrated for base sim lifespans. If your sim lifespans differ grossly from the base figure, you obviously need to change the payout. Notice how YA sims, according to the propaganda material, have an LTA rate that is MUCH lower than other sims? It's because they're operating on asynchronous time that has a different scaling factor. Basically, by breaking the game in ways that were never intended by EAxis, you have created a uniquely Croiduire problem.

So where do I look to find where that calibration is set? If I can change the increase to essentially zero for toddlers and children, and tweak it to YA levels for all other age groups, that would solve my problem nicely.

croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 April 13, 06:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I have come up with fix. It's not neat and automatic, but so far--repeat: so far--it seems to be working well, and after a fair bit of testing I haven't had any signs of an impending meltdown, but since I am completely UNawesome, this comes with NO promises. Anyway, in SimPE under FreeTime beneath the predestined hobby field there are three fields. Enter 0x0708 in the top blank and 0 in the next two. That will drain the LTA back to close to 0. If any points have been assigned, you will also need to delete the tokens from the sim's memory. That's it. In my game the short-term aspiration meter now moves up and down again like it should, and the LTA meter is rising properly as wants are gratified.

Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 April 13, 17:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't got to toddlers aging into children yet because I'm playing Sims right out of Uni, but I did have one toddler that was one day from turning and she had been skilling comstantly and had learned everything and she wasn't even close to filling her meter.  There has to be something that is causing this.  I know I have something wrong(that I don't want to fix) my Sims are still getting perma-plat from making their lifetime wants.  I like it because I'm able to ignore stupid wants.  I don't play Sims any different whether their perma-plat or not--I've never had to resort to auto play-with all these EPs there are so many things they can do.  In my opinion, it is a relief not to worry about that bar and after that is when the real fun begins.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: