More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 17:57:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Almost! built my own dorm
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Almost! built my own dorm  (Read 5797 times)
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Almost! built my own dorm
« on: 2008 March 30, 23:49:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

but obviously I borkened it somehow because the students don't get sent to class or finals.  I can send them manually, but I don't get a dialogue to announce class time, and my sims don't automatically get it queued.  Which is annoying.

Everything else about the dorm runs to Awesomespec.  I have dormies, and I have the cook showing up.  I vaguely recall someone mentioning that there are issues if you build the dorm as a residential lot in the main 'hood rather than in the uni 'hood?  I tried to find the post, but my search-fu appears to be inadequate.  Is there any way to fix this, or must I bulldoze and try again?  I'm this close!
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
Re: Almost! built my own dorm
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 31, 00:51:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you mean that you have also built your dorm in the main hood, or is it a normal Uni-related problem?  I remember this from back when Uni first came out and my original install not only had this problem, but I couldn't even click on a sim and get the proper menus appearing and it was only solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Uni - back in those far off days I think about the only hacks I used were Gnomon's flamingoes and an always abduct hack.  It was the problems with Uni that initially sent me looking for solutions, and now I hate playing a game without hacks! 

To get back to your problem, it may be that the lot simply has not reset itself to dorm properly, and you might be able to solve this with the Move or Rotate Lot tool - pick it up and put it down somewhere else and let it set itself again!

Oh, and if you are running Seasons, watch out for those dorm bills - the Repoman will again sometimes appear after they've been paid and using the debugger to nuke stuck bills doesn't seem to work, so make sure your sims pay the bills as soon as they are delivered!

Zephyr Zodiac
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 31, 02:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The dorm is in a custom (but otherwise normal) uni 'hood.  I had originally built the lot as residential in the main part of my building 'hood, which I keep separate from the one I play.  I threw it into the lot bin when I was done.  In a separate play session, I plopped it down in the uni part of my playing 'hood, and changed the zoning.  Everything else about the lot works perfectly well.

I know it has to be something about this lot because I've tested with one of the EAxis dorms, and my usual CC.  All is as it should be.

I shall try your suggestion, and report back.  Thanks. Smiley
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 31, 02:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you built it in a non-uni hood, that probably explains it, but resetting it should, hopefully, work.  It sounds like it's the reverse of the problem you get trying to use a uni lot in the main hood, where you get the frozen time situation which is solved, I think, by entering the lot in build mode and saving it before you move any sims in.  So, you may need to move your students out and then reset the lot in the same way, and then move your students back in.

Zephyr Zodiac
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 31, 17:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yesss!  I moved the YAs out, re-entered the lot in build mode, changed some little thing, saved and exited.  I'm not sure if it would have been enough to move them out and back in...

Anyway, when I built the dorm I set it down in the new uni 'hood, loaded the lot in build mode to change the zoning, which obviously requires a save.  I guess that's not enough?  I must load a second time to save and exit?  Most definitely counter-intuitive.  Undecided
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 31, 18:33:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And most things in this game aren't?  Undecided

If you build straight in the Uni subhood and use the cheat there and save, you don't need to reenter.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 31, 18:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I don't want to add a uni sub-hood to my nimble building 'hood. Sad  I keep it down to the bare minimum for quick loading, specifically just to build my lots and be done.

Still, thank you. Smiley I suppose I'll have to relent.  I doubt I'll remember to do that second save and exit, Every Single Time I build a dorm.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 01, 00:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use cleaned-up templates for your building hood, and therefore get no character files to load, then installing the hood files themselves shouldn't slow loading much.  Also, having no CC in your build hood makes it load pretty quickly. 

Zephyr Zodiac
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 01, 01:13:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But I don't want to add a uni sub-hood to my nimble building 'hood. Sad  I keep it down to the bare minimum for quick loading, specifically just to build my lots and be done.

Still, thank you. Smiley I suppose I'll have to relent.  I doubt I'll remember to do that second save and exit, Every Single Time I build a dorm.
Ooh, three seconds to click on the hood and then the Uni button. It's awfully painful.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 01, 02:02:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not even time to put the kettle on or rush to the loo!

Zephyr Zodiac
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 01, 19:15:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

>sigh< I know.  I just get very cranky (and stingy) when some silly detail in the game prevents me from playing it the way _I_ want to.  This is nothing, but there are so many EAxis stupidities!  Thanks for the help. Smiley
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 02, 01:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I totally agree with you there, but let's face it, if EAxis made the game to suit everyone, there'd have to be a million or so different versions!

The main thing I wish is that some of the features of the game, such as zombies, vampires etc., could be made optional when you first start your game up after installing the EP that contains them, but I suppose that would have been too cumbersome - so maybe with Sims 3 they might just have a supernatural expansion with all that stuff in which you could then choose to buy or not to buy!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: