More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:41:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available  (Read 57750 times)
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime) - No Longer Available
« on: 2008 March 28, 04:00:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I originally planned to update Monique's BV Cheap Computer for my own use with new functions and badges that came with FreeTime until Kyna asked if I planned to make this available for FreeTime (via Monique's Thread and PMs at MTS2). I told her I can try to make the updated version available.

Right now with this updated computer, the function - Buy Video Games Online - is working as originally intended by Monique. When the Sim chooses to "Buy Video Games Online", he/she is presented with a video game dialog box (the same kind of window spawned for buying clothes, jewelery and etc.). Only two games were displayed - Sims Bustin' Out and SimCity 4 Rush Hour. The new games from FT did not show up. I examined how Monique wrote her set of instructions for buying video games online and discovered that she wrote her own set of instructions that didn't match the Maxis code for buying video games. **I decided to leave the Buy Video Games Online function as is with no update.**

I compiled a zipped package with all of the files and readme.txt to be made available for download.

Many thanks for any help with this!!

** Thank you guys for the feedback and comments about the updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer.  Very much appreciated!**

All credit goes to Monique for her original work:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64137

Chaavik

Fixed (3-29-08):

Removed the autonomy from studying badges on both home and business lots. Visitors (unless they're employees directed to study badges by your Sim managers) should not autonomously study badges on both types of lots.

Fixed (3-31-08):

Addressed the issue with the autonomous behavior displayed by a Sim when he/she tries to study a FT badge.

Fixed (4-2-08):

Monique's Cheap Computer is -now- compatible with JM Pescado's "nohumble" mod. You can use either Pescado's "nohumble" or Jfade's "djshumblechoice" mods. For descriptions of their mods, visit their sites/threads to check them out. Whichever floats your boat.

Fixed (4-4-08):

A minor label fix was implemented to address the issue brought up by jsalemi in Alexx's thread. The old label "Sell Community Lot" was changed back to "Sell Owned Lot" to reflect the option(s) to sell both vacation homes and business lots back. "Sell Community Lot" was Monique's own label for the original "Sell Owned Lot" function that was seen on Maxis computers.

Fixed (4-4-08):

With Alexx's permission, I incorporated his fix for the Write Novel issue he addressed in his thread. Monique's original Write Novel function was re-introduced into the FT version of Monique's Cheap Computer.

**Thank you for allowing me to incorporate the fix, Alexx.**

4-5-08:

Redownload if you don't have the current version to be sure you have the most recently updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer for FreeTime. Remember to remove any old versions of Monique's Cheap Computer and install the newest version. Just a reminder to watch for new updates. I'm currently working on the Expensive Computer version (the laptop wanna-be). I don't know when I will release this one, but keep an eye out for this one.

4-9-08:

Readjusted the price on this version to bring it in line, but the Cheap Computer is still slightly more expensive with newer features. It's just like in reality, computers with Vista are more expensive with new features than computers with Windows 98/XP. That same idea is applied to this computer in Sims 2.

Monique's Cheap Computer is now priced at $1500 with new features, whistles and bells (Kitchen sink not included) for your Sim(s) to drool over, making Moneywell's outdated computer (Maxis), Little Sister's WD15 flimsy laptop-wannabe (Maxis) and Mr Humble's craptastic computer (Maxis) look like slow and ugly dinosaurs.

*As if Eaxis got any clue what real computers look like or do..*

New Features:

Give Financial Advice - (better wording than "Give Financial Consulting" only on this computer. Why "Give Financial Consulting" when "Give Financial Advice" is much better and comprehendable? Available only IF the Fortune Sim or Sim with Secondary Fortune Aspiration choose the benefit from their Aspiration window for FT.)

Browse Web/Blog - (Available only IF the Sim has enough enthusiasm points in his or her hobby to do either one. All of the hobbies will become available if the Sim reach that point in some, most or all of his or her hobbies to do so. Enabled for children as well as teens, adults and elders to browse the web and/or blog if they have enough enthusiasm points in their hobby.)

Write Restaurant Guide - (Available only IF the Pleasure Sim or Sim with Secondary Pleasure Aspiration choose the benefit from their Aspiration window for FT.)

Start Gaming Competition - (Available only IF there is more than one computer and more than one Sim on a home or university lot. Similar to LAN Party, but available at all times.)

Write Novel - (Completely revamped to be compatible with FreeTime. This new function enables Sims to choose the plot elements and book cover for their new novels just like they would on the FT computers.)

Pottery and Sewing Badges - (Added to the functions for studying badges on a home lot and a business lot.)

All of the original options (except Write Novel) are available on this updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer for those of you who want everything -but- the kitchen sink. This version has autonomy removed, meaning that there should be -no- reason for your Sim(s) to touch the computer without you telling them to.

This version can use recolors made by Monique and happygolucky at the following:

Monique: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64137
happygolucky: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=233276

Screenshots to check out the new features:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/Chaavik_87/FTMQSS5.jpg - FreeTime Options
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/Chaavik_87/FTMQSS3.jpg - Study Badge Options
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/Chaavik_87/FTMQSS1.jpg - Start Gaming Competition and Write Restaurant Guide Options

Re-download the new and (final) version please!

*CAUTION*: If you don't have FreeTime, don't download this. Go to Monique's thread to donwload the appropriate version for your current expansion pack.

EDIT:

Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and links and had made this a fun experience to work on this computer. I now have new versions for both FT and AL at Insimenator. Feel free to drop by there and pick up a couple for yourself.
« Last Edit: 2008 September 30, 02:59:11 by Chaavik » Logged

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
Re: Testers Wanted For Updated Monique's Cheap Computer (FreeTime)
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 28, 04:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since not everyone reads the readmes, I thought I'd mention this part of the readme, for those who use Pescado Director's Cut.

Compatibility:
Compatible with Twojeff's "computerfixes" mod and Jfade's "djshumblechoicehack" and possibly "djsantihumblehack"
Not compatible with JM Pescado's "nohumble" mod

Time for me to switch to jfade's hack, so I can start testing this in normal gameplay.

Thanks.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 28, 05:06:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks so much for pointing that out. Let me know how the new computer is working for you.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
daistarr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 28, 13:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am so glad that you are up dating this computer. I will be happy to help test it.
edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 29, 01:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaavik thank you for update de monique pc, i tryed and work "fine" the only problem i see is automonosy try to study the new badges, i remember monique`s do that

Sorry my english, i speak spanish
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 29, 08:08:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see Chaavik is now not awesome.  Where does that leave this hack?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 29, 08:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given the caption under the av and the first paragraph in her post, I think she chose the avatar herself.

(My apologies if you are male, Chaavik).

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 29, 08:14:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why on earth does a computer fix conflict with an anti-Humble hack, which has nothing to do with the computer at all?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 29, 15:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No offense. I am female irl, Kyna. And yes, I chose the avatar.

Why on earth does a computer fix conflict with an anti-Humble hack, which has nothing to do with the computer at all?

I think clarification is in order for this. Both "computerfixes" and "nohumble" mods did not conflict with each other. Those two mods originally conflicted with Monique's Cheap Computer individually. I fixed Monique's Cheap PC to be compatible with the "computerfixes" mod. Part of the "nohumble" mod worked fine preventing Mr Humble from appearing on the lot, but the other part allowing the Mr Humble PC computer to be made buyable was conflicting with not just Monique's Cheap Computer but also with custom and Maxis computers. The extracted computer was causing these computers to have options appearing twice under Play. Jfade's "djshumblechoice" mod worked similarly to yours, except that Mr Humble showed up. I allowed my Sim to accept the gift, and that Mr Humble PC worked fine without causing other computers to have options appearing twice under Play.

I opened up the Mr Humble PC object in SimPE and saw that this object lacked a set of Pie Menu Functions. Why did this object have a missing set of Pie Menu Functions? I'm not sure. I opened up a Maxis Moneywell Cheap Computer to see if this object has a set of Pie Menu Functions or not. This object does have a set.

I concluded that the extracted-made-buyable Mr Humble PC was conflicting with both custom and Maxis computers in a way not intended for the game. Jfade's mod didn't contain an extracted gift or pc to give the Sims, and the PC (that came in the gift left behind by Mr Humble) wasn't conflicting with both custom and Maxis computers.

I do hope this is sufficient information to shed light on the question.

Chaavik thank you for update de monique pc, i tryed and work "fine" the only problem i see is automonosy try to study the new badges, i remember monique`s do that

Can you please describe exactly what your Sim was attempting to do when he/she try to study a new badge? Was that attempted on a home lot or a business lot? I would appreciate more information to see how I could help you out with this.

edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 30, 01:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i try of explain myself my english no is very good.

if in home i let a sim alone with free wiill he/she start study autonomys the badges, pottery or swieing
the visitor do this too.

i use djshumblechoice and computerfixes

i dont tryed in community lots

i hope this help

Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 30, 01:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i try of explain myself my english no is very good.

if in home i let a sim alone with free wiill he/she start study autonomys the badges, pottery or swieing
the visitor do this too.

i use djshumblechoice and computerfixes

i dont tryed in community lots

i hope this help

Okay, I will look into this. One more question though.. Did you use the autonomous or non-autonomous version of "computerfixes"? TwoJeff released two versions of that mod, one is autonomous and the other is not autonomous. If you could tell me which one you have, this would also help alot. Thank you for the feedback.

edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 30, 02:07:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i use Computer Fixes - No Autonomy, i hope can fix ( unless was feature ) i dont like study the automous the badges i feel is like cheat, in other way is great the update

ok, i see the update i will try tomorrow, today is too late

Cappuccino
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 30, 02:25:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you use the autonomous or non-autonomous version of "computerfixes"?

I have neither of those (I think). That thing happened to me too, almost all the visitors I had would go and start studying Pottery on the pc. (Don't know if it was random, but it was the pottery badge all 3 times that I caught them doing that)

Thank you for this by the way!

Dive in!
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 30, 06:38:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you use the autonomous or non-autonomous version of "computerfixes"?

I have neither of those (I think). That thing happened to me too, almost all the visitors I had would go and start studying Pottery on the pc. (Don't know if it was random, but it was the pottery badge all 3 times that I caught them doing that)

Thank you for this by the way!
i use Computer Fixes - No Autonomy, i hope can fix ( unless was feature ) i dont like study the automous the badges i feel is like cheat, in other way is great the update

ok, i see the update i will try tomorrow, today is too late

The new fix should stop the visitors from using the computer autonomously to study a badge. They shouldn't be allowed to use computers at all when they're visiting someone's home or business.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 30, 07:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think clarification is in order for this. Both "computerfixes" and "nohumble" mods did not conflict with each other. Those two mods originally conflicted with Monique's Cheap Computer individually. I fixed Monique's Cheap PC to be compatible with the "computerfixes" mod. Part of the "nohumble" mod worked fine preventing Mr Humble from appearing on the lot, but the other part allowing the Mr Humble PC computer to be made buyable was conflicting with not just Monique's Cheap Computer but also with custom and Maxis computers.
But that's impossible, the only thing involved in making the Humble PC buyable is an OBJD. An OBJD cannot affect anything outside of the modified object. there are no BHAV edits involved in making the Humble PC buyable at all, so if anything conflicts with that, you either have another hack doing exactly the same thing, or a GUID conflict. Both of these are bad.

I opened up the Mr Humble PC object in SimPE and saw that this object lacked a set of Pie Menu Functions. Why did this object have a missing set of Pie Menu Functions? I'm not sure. I opened up a Maxis Moneywell Cheap Computer to see if this object has a set of Pie Menu Functions or not. This object does have a set.
Because FT-based computers no longer use their local group pie menus. All FT-based computers now use semiglobal pies. The old TTAB is vestigial.

I concluded that the extracted-made-buyable Mr Humble PC was conflicting with both custom and Maxis computers in a way not intended for the game. Jfade's mod didn't contain an extracted gift or pc to give the Sims, and the PC (that came in the gift left behind by Mr Humble) wasn't conflicting with both custom and Maxis computers
Your conclusion appears to be erroneous and does not mesh with what is known about how things presently work. If you're seeing one particular game appear TWICE, it is because you managed to add it to the family inventory twice, which is an issue that afflicts all computers, such as if you get two Humble boxes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 30, 19:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaavik, i tryed the update version but still using the computer autonomously to study a badge maybe is hack conflic i will try more too see what happen thank youi anyway.

Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 30, 19:53:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaavik, i tryed the update version but still using the computer autonomously to study a badge maybe is hack conflic i will try more too see what happen thank youi anyway.

Check to see if there is a hack conflict. I've looked over the code to see if there was any reason for the autonomous behavior by the sims to study a badge to happen. I don't see how that could happen. Was this on a home or a business lot?

I did my testing without any mods installed except for the "nohumble" mod for the sole purpose of testing the updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer. The only reason for your mod to be installed was to test the Start Gaming Competition and not be bothered by Mr Humble visiting the lot. Naturally, I was curious enough to get my hands on the extracted-made-buyable computer to see how it looks and how it works.

From what I have seen in my game, the buyable computer caused this one to have twice the functions on the pie menu. This shouldn't happen. The other Maxis computers (both Cheap Computer and Expensive Computer) were affected with twice the functions on their pie menus.

All I've done, Pescado, was to add the new features and badges TO the computer. Nothing major was done to overhaul the computer. The work she did was pretty much left intact save for one function - Write Novel - to be made compatible with the FT version of Write Novel.

I would appreciate your help in finding the cause and fixing it to be compatible with your mod. That's the reason I'm asking for help testing the updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer.

pearlbh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 31, 05:41:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot thank you enough for updating Monique's computer, Chaavik.  As far as I can tell it's working perfectly for me, with the possible exception being game competitions.  However, I've been having a hard time getting them to work right in the first place with Maxis computers.  But everything is fine and it is SO great to have this back in my game again!
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 31, 12:24:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I cannot thank you enough for updating Monique's computer, Chaavik.  As far as I can tell it's working perfectly for me, with the possible exception being game competitions.  However, I've been having a hard time getting them to work right in the first place with Maxis computers.  But everything is fine and it is SO great to have this back in my game again!

You're welcome. I've always enjoyed using her computer when I first discovered it at MTS2 around the time I bought Seasons, and I haven't lived without that computer since!

Edespino, I caught the problem with one of my Sims autonomously studying the two new FreeTime badges in my game. A fix will be uploaded later today when I get a chance to.

edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 31, 13:41:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok, thank you i will looking for it

Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 31, 20:53:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Edespino, the new version is up now. The Sims (residents, not visitors) should not attempt to study Sewing or Pottery autonomously now.

edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 April 01, 00:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chaavik thank you i got now the new version but tomorow i will try it

edespino
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 April 02, 01:30:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

seem work well, anybody try study badges in home ( i dont tryed in community lot )

thank you.

Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 April 02, 02:59:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

seem work well, anybody try study badges in home ( i dont tryed in community lot )

thank you.

That's great! Glad to hear that!

Does anyone else have any issue with or comment about the updated version of Monique's Cheap Computer for FreeTime? I certainly hope that you found the updated computer fun to play with.

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2008 April 02, 06:35:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What did you do with the "write novel" option?

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: