More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 08:40:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Mouse wheel just stopped working?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mouse wheel just stopped working?  (Read 15566 times)
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
Mouse wheel just stopped working?
« on: 2008 March 16, 18:41:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys,

I played FT yesterday and did NOT have this issue.

Today, I downloaded these hacks:

nohumble
relevantwages
wfsanity
nohobbyspam
nostupidonreset

They probably have nothing to do with this, as I took them out and retested to no avail.  Additionally, I don't see how it's possible for a hack to change my hardware's behavior.

Anyway, when I get in-game, my mouse wheel doesn't work anymore.  Usually, by holding the wheel down and moving the mouse, the camera rotates.  It's not responding anymore, and the camera refuses to rotate in the neighborhood or on lots with the wheel.  The camera still rotates by using the arrow graphics, and I can move side to side/up and down with edge scrolling.

I checked the Options screen:  Edge-scrolling is On and Camera Rotation is on Default (ie. not Sims 1 Style).
Also, I put a fresh battery in the mouse three days ago, so it's juiced up.  And I checked the Wheel settings in the Control Panel.  There's no option to "turn it off", so that didn't happen.

Any ideas, suggestions?  Undecided

I hate not being able to rotate the camera with my mouse.

ETA:  Did a restart, turned the mouse off, rotated batteries, still won't work.  It's not just an in-game problem after all.  The wheel click is not working, period.  Still could use some advice though.  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2008 March 16, 18:58:24 by SJActress » Logged

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Mouse wheel just stopped working?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 16, 19:13:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check your mouse settings, and make sure the middle wheel is set to either 'autoscroll' or 'universal scroll'.  I'm guessing it's a non-MS mouse, and many of them have this issue (especially Logitech).

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 16, 19:18:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check your mouse settings, and make sure the middle wheel is set to either 'autoscroll' or 'universal scroll'.  I'm guessing it's a non-MS mouse, and many of them have this issue (especially Logitech).

It is an HP wireless mouse that came with my computer, the IQ770.

There's no option for that in the wheel properties.  Scrolling still works, clicking does not.  Huh

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 16, 19:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, it wouldn't be in the wheel properties -- it would be in the button properties, if they exist.  Some screen where you can re-assign the mouse buttons.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 16, 20:16:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't found anything like that in my mouse options....  Undecided

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 16, 20:40:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Strange -- third-party mice usually come with something like that.  Check the HP site and see if they have updated drivers?  Only other thing I can think of.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 16, 22:24:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked my drivers, and they're up to date already.

It wouldn't be a 3rd party mouse, would it?  It came WITH the computer, both HP products.  Well, the mouse is identified as "HID compliant mouse"  and there's three different drivers, one has something to do with "the transceiver", and the other two have to deal with USB's.  Undecided

Thank you for brainstorming with me, at any rate.  Smiley

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 17, 00:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes things just break, period? I've worn out my mouse buttons before.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 17, 00:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wouldn't be a 3rd party mouse, would it?  It came WITH the computer, both HP products. 

3rd party in the sense that MS is the biggest manufacturer of meece around, and is the standard.  But as KatEnigma said, sometimes things just break, especially mice and keyboards -- I lost track of how many I've been through the last couple of years.  A new mouse is cheap enough. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 17, 07:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry to jump in this thread, but I've never seen a 'mouse' thread before and I may as well tag onto this one...

My cursor flicks everywhere, I have a Logitech optical wireless mouse and my PC says it is working correctly, but I have a hell of a time trying to click and drag with the left mouse button-you ought to see it when I am building houses! It has been like it ever since I got my new PC about 12 months ago. This is the keyboard and mouse that shipped with the pc. I dunno how to fix it-it is perfectly aligned too. Should I just give up and buy a new mouse? I've had no problems with the keyboard.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 17, 08:11:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Emma, I have problems with my (Logitech) wireless mouse in that it doesn't like its dongle plugged in behind my tower. If I don't plug it into the front or into a hub that sits on top of the tower, I have issues. The receiver/computer will lose the mouse and it skips all over. If you can, try to give the mouse a more clear shot at the receiver.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 17, 09:07:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Double check there's not a minuscule hair stuck in the small recess.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 17, 09:10:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll check witch, and see if there is anything there. Kat, I have it plugged in the back, I'll try moving it and see if that helps Smiley Cheers both.

[edit] So far, so good-I moved the doodad thingy to a port on top of my pc, and I cleaned my mouse inside and out with a barely damp cloth. (I cleaned my pc too-yay me! lol) I then put it all back together and put in new batteries for good measure and no flicking as yet! I'm gonna go play Sims now and hopefully it is fixed.

Thanks again witch and Kat Kiss
« Last Edit: 2008 March 17, 11:11:16 by Emma » Logged

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 17, 13:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I seriously dislike wireless meece, but it's getting harder and harder to find ones with a plug.... <sigh>

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 17, 13:25:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're joking? Most meeces are non-wireless. Wireless meece are a ludicrous and worthless invention. Why on Earth would you WANT one? They're unreliable, and if you're using a mouse at a range a wire cannot reach, you're TOO FAR FROM THE COMPUTER TO SEE THE MONITOR ANYWAY. Wireless meeces and keyboards make about as much sense as solar-powered lightbulbs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 17, 13:35:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I must admit I like wired mouses (mice? Whatever) much better. When this one dies I'm going to get a proper mouse.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 17, 14:21:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're joking? Most meeces are non-wireless.

Sadly, no, I'm not joking.  Walk into a BB or Staples and try to find a wired mouse -- their shelves are pretty much filled with wireless keyboards and meece these days. You may get lucky and find one wired model hidden down on the bottom shelf, but you're more likely to find them online.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 17, 14:25:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We get all our stuff from a computer fair-you'd be amazed what you can dig up there.

SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 17, 16:23:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Update:

I've come to the conclusion that the hardware is in fact worn out, as I can get the click to function every now and again.

Thanks all, for your suggestions.  Smiley

And I love having a wireless mouse.  This is the first problem I ever had with it, and it's about a year old.  Undecided

LizzyJ
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 20, 05:14:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're joking? Most meeces are non-wireless.

Sadly, no, I'm not joking.  Walk into a BB or Staples and try to find a wired mouse -- their shelves are pretty much filled with wireless keyboards and meece these days. You may get lucky and find one wired model hidden down on the bottom shelf, but you're more likely to find them online.
The only place I can find a wireless mouse in my town is online. Nobody here seems to stock them, so I gave up and bought a normal mouse.

My imaginary god is better than your imaginary god.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 20, 05:31:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My present computer came with a wireless mouse and keyboard. It only took me two days to replace the wireless mouse with a wired one. It was a worthless piece of crap.

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 March 20, 06:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a Microsoft mouse on my big machine. One thing MS are actually good at, is mice. Despite the fact they pinched the idea of mice off Apple, or so I've been told.

I love that mouse, it's responsive and accurate, as well as being nice to click.

When I got my laptop, I decided to get a wireless mouse and keyboard with it. First wireless anything I'd had. I use the laptop a lot in bed, with my wireless Internet. *bliss* Who needs newspapers when you can have a lie in of a Sunday and read the whole world?

My wireless mouse is also an MS mouse, purely because that was the only one in the shop that wasn't a complete, never heard of the brand before, piece of crap. I use the wireless keyboard if I'm working, I hate typing for real on a laptop, pecking around and forums etc are fine. They don't make keyboards clicky enough now, plus they tried to give me one of those bloody ergonomic ones until I caught them and made them give me a proper keyboard.  Grin

Anyway, wireless mice, I don't mind my one at all. I was warned I might get irritated by the slight lag, I don't get irritated. I notice it but it is not enough to be intrusive. The mouse is responsive enough and nice to hold and manage.

So I don't mind either kind of mouse.

The mouse I prefer though, is shaped like a gear stick, the thumb controls left and right clicks - it's a rocker button and there's a clutch and grab and drag for a scroll. (I'm not trying to be rude here.  Roll Eyes) I have one in my office at each campus and I'd love one for home. They're $150 each though, so I can't bring myself to spend that on a mouse when I might get RAM or a video card instead. Holding your hand like a gear stick, instead of like a spider, is way more ergonomic and comfortable.

PS Hey SJActress, you have checked the batteries haven't you? Mine just needed replacing after a year. Of course I tried uninstalling and installing crap before I thought of that simple solution.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 March 20, 06:37:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PS Hey SJActress, you have checked the batteries haven't you? Mine just needed replacing after a year. Of course I tried uninstalling and installing crap before I thought of that simple solution.

Yep, just changed them for the first time (lasted a WHOLE YEAR!).  I changed the batteries a few days before the problem started.  I'm using some sort of fancy batteries with a lowercase "e" on them that are supposed to last till Jesus comes to visit us again or something.  The mouse has been working okay the past day or so, so hopefully it will STAY that way.  I'm still convinced that the hardware is just wearing out.  Undecided

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 March 20, 15:19:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To the original poster: I had this problem right before I reformatted my PC. I thought I was going to have to get a new mouse as well as reformat. I decided to wait until after I got my PC back to see if it would work and lo and behold it did. I haven't had any problems with it since. I know that's a little extreme to fix JUST the mouse, but I never figured out the exact problem.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 March 25, 15:10:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I'm having a hard time finding is a non-optical wired mouse. I use my laptop in bed a lot, and even when the bed is made (which it rarely is if I'm _in_ it) the comforter is not a perfectly even flat surface, so my optical mouse has a tendency to jump and skip slightly, always JUST when I need precision. What happened to ball and roller mice? I just want like, a $2 mouse with a ball in it, 2 buttons with scroll wheel, wired. That's all I need. Why do I keep ending up with wireless optical mice smaller than my palm with about 4 buttons?!

INFP or something
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: