More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:17:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  The Bowels of Trogdor
| |-+  The Small Intestines of Trogdor
| | |-+  Another EA bug? Relationship controller.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Another EA bug? Relationship controller.  (Read 15123 times)
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Another EA bug? Relationship controller.
« on: 2008 March 10, 11:44:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look at this BHAV:  Group 0x7FF41B0C  Instance 0x00001010  Line 7 (or Line 5 if you sorted them)

If you trace back how the value was assigned to Local 0, and from there to Temp 0, it ends up a relationship score is being compared with a Neighbor ID.  Am I going mad or are they?

I *think* they meant to use Temp 1 in that line.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Another EA bug? Relationship controller.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 10, 12:21:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like the NID is placed in Temp0, 0xFC19 (-999) is stored in Temp1. This is consistent with the syntax used in SetToNext code 24 (A4), although it doesn't match the syntax given by SimPE for code 23 (A3). Based on the fact that code-24 uses this syntax and that the code WORKS (NIDs are always positive, often larger than 100, so that means a whole bunch of sims would be missing from the decay loop if this code were wrong), the reasonable conclusion is that the code is correct, and the documentation is wrong. Therefore, it stands to reason that the syntax for STN 23 is similar to that of STN 24, and that the information you entered into SimPE, which appears to be from the old Behavior texts, is simply a not-trueity.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 10, 12:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I see, thanks.  Seems STN wants overhauling in SimPE then.  If you (or any other person in the know) gets the time, I'd appreciate a list of changes you think could be made in the text displayed by the editor, so it better explains WTF the call is actually doing Cheesy

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 10, 13:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* J. M. Pescado psshes.

Text? Display? In my day, we didn't have any text displays in our STN editor! We had BARE HEX, and WE LIKED IT!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 10, 13:21:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy  I don't think we did, I think rather we learnt to cope.

jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 14, 04:03:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* J. M. Pescado psshes.

Text? Display? In my day, we didn't have any text displays in our STN editor! We had BARE HEX, and WE LIKED IT!
Quote from: Inge
I don't think we did, I think rather we learnt to cope.

That's right...give it to us rough.  I still rarely - if ever - enter my opcodes through the wizard except for convoluted shit I can never remember like the anim primitives.  I'm sure though that Pes has the anim opcodes post-it-noted to his bathroom mirror like daily affirmations Smiley
« Last Edit: 2008 March 14, 04:09:13 by jase » Logged

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 14, 09:12:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it's not just the wizard is it, it's the bit of text under the operand boxes.  It at least doesn't want to be wrong.  With the rate that experienced hackers are dropping out of the community lately, I am inclined not to poopoo the chance of getting some new ones up to speed asap, even if it means spoonfeeding them!  Smiley

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 14, 16:08:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With the rate that experienced hackers are dropping out of the community lately, I am inclined not to poopoo the chance of getting some new ones up to speed asap, even if it means spoonfeeding them!  Smiley
How many of us ARE there? Far as I know, there's maybe half a dozen to a dozen of us, tops, and most of the names I can think of offhand are accounted for. There's really not that many BHAV hackers out there.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 14, 17:11:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Squinge, Monique, Kathy and Eric, Christianlov, Atavera, Merola...   All missing.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 14, 18:02:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Squinge, Monique, Kathy and Eric, Christianlov, Atavera, Merola...   All missing.
Hmm, yes, good point. Although Merola, IIRC, was never really a huge BHAV hacker. He was an early-bird special, but he never really dug deeply into it, and is remembered primarily for the painting. Kathy and Eric, AFAIK, are still alive, albeit slackerly at the moment. Squinge souped. Atavera retired. Dunno about the ultimate fate of the rest.

jase
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 18, 03:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At some point, one has to sit down and ask themself, WTF am I still doing this?  I asked that about 2 years ago.  I'm still waiting for the response.

Isn't it about time you did your part in God's plan?  Go on, install InTeen today.  What would Jesus do?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 18, 05:48:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's either that, or stop playing the game entirely, and honestly, there aren't a whole lot of better alternatives out there.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 18, 08:21:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looking at my own dwindling output, it's pretty evident to me that I am still "semi-retired" compared to a lot of other active creators.  What tends to happen is I am playing and something irritates me.  So I ask around for a fix and suddenly there are a chorus of voices asking me why don't I do it - and off I go again Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 18, 08:42:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a strong not-invented-here bias, so when I encounter something that pisses me off, I tend to just fix it myself without consulting anyone else. It then may or may not ever see release unless Fat Gwilly People ask. Given that most major annoyances have been fixed, the fall in output is mostly due to the fact that Fat Gwilly People haven't asked. I'm sure that once TS3 starts pissing me off, if modding is online by then, I'll start whacking away at it with the same prolific output I had when TS2 started. If the modding hasn't started having progress by then, I'll probably lose interest quickly, like in TS1, and not notice again until TS4. Especially since TS3 presently sounds very DO NOT WANT, and if I can't turn it into something that is DO WANT, I'm not gonna play.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: