More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:00:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders  (Read 12677 times)
dragonarts
Blathering Buffoon

http://dragcave.net/user/dragonarts

View Profile
Re: Suggestion: READMe labeling for mass downloaders
« Reply #25 on: 2008 March 09, 20:22:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I might be entirely wrong, but this sounds as if you literally placed your hacks from your Bon Voyage downloads folder into your Free Time downloads folder. If you've done this, then I know what your problem is. Many FFS hacks have been updated so you shouldn't use the copy you had before in FT. You should download a fresh copy from the hack directory. If I have misunderstood your post then I'm sorry for wasting your time with this explanation.
[/quote]

Well, I did and I didn't. I have a number of non-awesome hacks which haven't been updated for the last couple EPs. They've worked fine to date, so I put them in one or two at a time and started the game to see what happened. Dangerous, I know, but it seemed fine at first. I might have missed a newer one, or simply didn't check thoroughly enough. Anyway, I took everything out (again) and went through again. This time I didn't put the older hacks back in. Instead I used some TwoJeffs hacks (ACR) and some Awesome hacks that do similar things. I'm still trying to find documentation for one of the extras from TJ's Director's Cut, because it looks like a good replacement for one of the old hacks, but I don't know for sure what it does. There are still some I need to check again too, that were made for Seasons. I haven't seen updates yet, but as far as I know Free Time didn't change how gardening worked so they're probably ok.

This does go to show how many modders have left the Sims2 community though. Their hacks go un-updated, and some of them were useful. A lot of them can be replaced if you look around long enough, but the replacements I'm finding often add functions I wasn't sure I wanted to add. Oh well.
SpaceDoll
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2008 March 10, 18:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that's what I do to - I refer to them pretty regularly when I forget what a hack does.  I suspect the rtfm's tell you what the mod did when it first came out rather than what it actually does these days.  I always go to the forum if I'm wondering about things I know have been updated... harder jobs, saner LTWs....phone hack...

Thanks for the list - I'm checking it against mine next.

the lot debugger!   Shocked
I keep the rtfm's mainly for installing new EP's, as that is when I run through them to see if there is anything I've changed my mind about.  The more complex stuff, I always check the threads. 
You're welcome.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2008 March 10, 19:03:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no point in reading Pescado's readmes, they are just full of  b****cks about someone who appears to have been named after a pinball game.   Oh and some more recently added bits about pencil necks.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
dragonarts
Blathering Buffoon

http://dragcave.net/user/dragonarts

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2008 March 10, 20:44:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no point in reading Pescado's readmes, they are just full of  b****cks about someone who appears to have been named after a pinball game.   Oh and some more recently added bits about pencil necks.

I did notice a reference to pencil necks, but mostly I skipped that part in favor of the actual hack description.

I'm seeing reasons here to organize my downloads a little differently than I have in the past. Certainly the Awesome hacks deserve their own sub-folder. I'm having trouble remembering which stuff came from which site. This is especially pathetic as I mostly only go to 3 or 4. Actually, when you get right down to it, mostly only 2 plus updates for Simpe. These do occasionally lead me astray. (point to other places where there is a hack/object/hair/etc that everyone simply MUST have.)
GTADaddy
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2008 March 13, 04:33:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also want to thank the other people who posted here, I am in the process now, of organizing my downloads according to the site I got them and the creator. It shouldn't be too hard, considering I only have 2.7 gigs of CC.
quasim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2008 March 13, 13:24:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Call me lazy, but I made a script for "Mouse and Key recorder" to auto-rename rtfm files to the names of the package they come with, so I can always read what which mod is doing.

If someone is interested to know how, I'll give you the mechanics, since MaKR is highly machine specific with the macros.
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2008 March 13, 13:35:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I batch-download from the hacks directory with the the "DownThemAll" firefox extension into the Hacks-Compatible/Pescado subfolder in my Downloads folder, then select all the .zip files and right-click, selecting the "Unzip Here, in separated folders" option that ZipGenius installed.  Each hack winds up consequently in a subfolder named after the original .zip file, with its attendant RTFM preserved.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: