More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 18, 02:39:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  What's wrong with my PC?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What's wrong with my PC?  (Read 11889 times)
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
What's wrong with my PC?
« on: 2008 March 05, 06:17:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Sigh*
Okay, in the last few days I've been updating my computer - I went ahead and bought it 2 new sticks of ram, a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT graphics card as well as a power supply unit from Corsair 450w.
Yesterday, I put the graphics card in with no problems with the normal PSU that came with the computer (300watts).  And this morning I decided to replace the original power supply unit with the Corsair one, when everything got put back togethor, I turned it on and my monitor displays a "No Signal" message.  I've been searching on google for solutions to my problem but none of them were specific to mine.
The graphics card is still good I think - I've tried two different graphics cards and both their fans start up and monitor still has No Signal message.
The monitor works on a different computer.
Everything is plugged in properly.
On start up all the fans and lights work.
I've tried using both PSU's.
Also on start up I get no beeping noise.

Any ideas?

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: What's wrong with my PC?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 05, 06:44:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you fiddle with the refresh rate? Some monitors can't display high resolutions at a high refresh rate. I found that out when my computer did what yours is doing. Wink

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 05, 06:54:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How do you do that?
When I switch on my computer, I get a blank screen with No Signal Sad

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 05, 07:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The question is, DID you do that before you shut the computer off to change the power supply?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 05, 07:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm, not that I recall - I installed the graphics drivers, and that was all I did in relation to graphics...

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 05, 07:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then it's unlikely this is the problem. Have you tried the card in another machine?

Unfortunately, if other cards are doing it too, it's looking like it may be something went wrong with the motherboard. I'd guess static electricity when you were working inside.  Undecided

- Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 05, 07:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm starting to think it is motherboard related too - I was kinda harsh on it when I was plugging one of the PSU cords into it (though I didn't think I was that harsh).  I'm looking at new upgradeable PC's as we speak, so unless someone has some kinda solution for me, I'll be looking in that direction.  Thanks so much for the advice, it's given me a bit of closure Grin

ETA: The old power supply unit is powering the computer up (still nothing from the monitor), but the Corsair PSU is doing nothing - it can't be screwed already, could it?  And could a PSU possibly wreck a motherboard?
« Last Edit: 2008 March 05, 08:14:57 by Charlotte » Logged

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 05, 08:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have new RAM, a new card, and a new PSU. You also have a case and I'm assuming working drives. All you need is a new mobo and processor, assuming the new RAM is DDR2 and a modern speed. If not, I hope it's returnable/exchangeable. You're most of the way to a new PC right there. I redid mine about a month ago, and it was still cheaper to buy parts and reuse what I had than to buy a cheap pre-built PC.  Plus, then I wasn't stuck with Vista.  Tongue

- Kurt Vonnegut
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 05, 16:20:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the Corsair PSU is doing nothing - it can't be screwed already, could it?  And could a PSU possibly wreck a motherboard?

Depending on what happened, yes.  As Kat suggested, a static electrical charge  through the motherboard while you are working on it can fry the board (say while plugging the PSU into the board).  Always ground/earth yourself before touching the motherboard.  (wear rubber soled shoes and touch something metal before you stick your hands inside - don't wear staticky sweaters).

Tribulatio proxima est
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 05, 17:06:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or wear latex gloves -- they're cheap from any drug store, don't cause or pass static electricity, and are handy for many, many things (especially handling raw meat while cooking or keeping paint off your hands while painting ). Get the non-powdered type if you're going to use them to work on electronics.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 05, 19:45:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose it turned out for the best though (*keeps telling self that* Grin) - my old motherboard only had two slots for ram and could only handle up to 2 gigs.  I bought a new case with it's motherboard and processor already in it.  But I'm a little bit curious about the pentium D processor - I can't seem to find any of them around, the one in my "fried" computer had a 2.8 dual core pentium D, were they a weak model or something?  I read somewhere that the problem with my computer could be processor related too (??)

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 05, 19:51:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The pentium D's were simply replaced by the Duos. They weren't bad,exactly, the Duo's are just newer technology and better.  Your problem is unlikely to be a processor problem.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 05, 20:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's good, I could keep it here and keep it later for a project or something when I get more familiar with computers - I also bought a anti static wrist strap, I should've done that before I opened my computer case *duh*  I got too keen I think. 

One last question:  Is AMD okay?  I've only ever had computers with intel processors in them.  The new one has a AMD Athlon Dual Core 4800 - I haven't confirmed or paid for the order yet, I just really want to make sure first.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 05, 20:20:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AMD is fine- it's what I have, in fact.  Cheesy Intel's top processors ARE faster than AMD's top processors, but they are also more expensive. At anything other than the top price points, you get a faster processor for your money if you go with AMD.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 05, 20:39:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't find a pentium, even a second hand one, anywhere within my budget - let alone one that was already attached to the motherboard.  The most demanding game I'll ever play in the meantime would be sims related ie. simcity, tycoon city, etc.  Thanks for the help, really appreciate it Cheesy

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 06, 04:35:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure I'm understanding your situation 100%, but be aware that AMD and Intel processors are NOT interchangeable -- the CPU slot and the support chips are entirely different.  If you have a new motherboard with an AMD processor, than you can only replace it with another AMD.  Same with your Intel motherboard -- only another Intel processor will do.

If I'm mistaken and you're not trying to swap processors, then never mind...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 06, 04:45:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Only the latest Pentium core duos are faster than AMD dual cores as far as I understand it. I have an AMD dual core 4400 and she's a nice snappy processor. I've been AMD for years now and am very satisfied.

Another way to ground yourself is to keep the PC plugged in but not turned on, then keep one hand on the power supply if you want to touch anything else.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 06, 05:01:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I'll be keeping the AMD processor instead of swapping over the processor.  I think maybe in my situation the athlon will be better than my old pentium.
It cost $170 for case, motherboard, and processor including postage and packaging, just have to wait for it now since it's down in Auckland and I'll remember those tips about grounding yourself - I was wearing a heavy woolly jumper while swapping things around Shocked - it's quite cold here.  I'll turn the heater on next time Grin

Forgot to ask:
If I put in my current hardrive, which has got windows xp on it, it will be good to go right?  I won't have to install xp again?  Also what if the motherboard previously was running vista (does that make sense?) - will I run into problems?  This is one of the reasons why I didn't just go into Noel Leemings to buy a new computer because I didn't want vista.
« Last Edit: 2008 March 06, 05:07:06 by Charlotte » Logged

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 06, 05:26:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Possibly. Plug and Pray might find your new hardware, the chip shouldn't alter anything as far as I know. If you have a different mainboard or video card it may not be so easy.

Where are you North of Orcland that is cold?!?

Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 06, 05:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol Plug and Pray, that really hits the nail on the head Grin

I'm in Whangarei - it was cold here yesterday, freezing last night, and hot today Huh

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 06, 05:35:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, was a bit chilly yesterday and last night. I actually slept with a duvet, instead of just a sheet. I'm in Tauranga. Muggy and humid.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 March 06, 06:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, a definite Maybe. I managed to do it- all it asked for was for me to let it re-authenticate. Just back up and be prepared to reinstall, just in case. LOL The motherboard has nothing to do with Windows, so it can't have been running Vista before.  Wink

I've been running with AMD processors for 8 years now, and have always been happy with them. My new one is an AM2 5600 that eventually I can get around to easily overclocking, so I've read.  LOL

Like I said, the top Intel processors are faster than the top AMD processors, but unless you can afford that top Intel processor, you're better off buying an AMD.  Cheesy For what I paid for mine, I could have had an Intel processor with so-so performance or an AMD one with great performance. But you'll hear that Intel processors are better, and it's technically true- if you can afford their top ones. Unfortunately, most of us have budgets.  Grin

- Kurt Vonnegut
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 March 06, 16:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I put in my current hardrive, which has got windows xp on it, it will be good to go right?  I won't have to install xp again? 

You won't have to do a complete re-install, but you *may* have to run a repair to load drivers specific to your new motherboard.  I did the same thing, moving an old HD to my new system, but it wouldn't boot because it didn't have the right drivers for the motherboard.  But doing a repair with the XP install disk did the trick, and now it's running fine. So keep your XP install disk handy.

And yea, it may ask you to reactivate due to the detected hardware changes.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Charlotte
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 March 13, 20:18:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, was a bit chilly yesterday and last night. I actually slept with a duvet, instead of just a sheet. I'm in Tauranga. Muggy and humid.

Tauranga?  My family members that I actually go and visit live in Te Puke so we' travel through Tauranga quite often.  My partner spent a year at Welcome Bay too, years ago - I actually quite like the place.  Yeah, everytime I've gone back to Te Puke it's always been overcast but stinking hot.

Ok, so, I got my new computer together and what was scary is that I had it going well, then I changed the PSU and then it started doing that horrible "no signal" on monitor thing again.  So when I put the PSU back into my hubby's computer, his one did the same thing - "no signal" to monitor.  I freaked out (he freaked out even more Tongue) but he just tried a suggestion on google (which was something like page 12 of a google search - I normally stick to the first 5 pages) and it told him to switch the computer on with no ram, switch it off, and then put the ram back in - and lo-and-behold they both came back to life!!  I'm hoping that that wasn't the problem with my old motherboard - just a teeny issue with the ram.

But anywhoo, one of my ramsticks got fried during all of this so my PC is only running on 1gig at the moment.  I'm thinking of getting two new sticks because I can get two new sticks cheaper off an online store than a match for the one I have off Noel Leeming.  The last pair I got were DDR2, do I just stick to that?

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 March 13, 21:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your RAM is DDR2, you have to only buy DDR2. Period. There's no cross-compatibility

- Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: