More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 14:03:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Interesting problem...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Interesting problem...  (Read 9747 times)
angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Interesting problem...
« on: 2008 March 02, 22:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'll attempt to explain the problem I'm having and hopefully someone will have an idea of what I'm talking about and what's going on. 

Lately I have been having a major problem with the game crashing (not uncommon from what I've read here) BUT, I started the game up today and while playing, at random times, the blue screen will pop up and the cursor turns to the spinning hourglass. (like it does when you're loading).  After about a minute or so of doing that the game will resume. As if that wasn't annoying enough the last time it did that my monitor shut off during the blue screen.  The only way it would come back on was to reboot the computer.

It only does this while playing Sims so I'm not sure what the problem is... software or hardware. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem because I'm completely at a loss on figuring this one out.   Undecided
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: Interesting problem...
« Reply #1 on: 2008 March 02, 22:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are your system specs? (processor, video card, ram) and have you ever updated your video drivers?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 March 02, 22:41:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I'm running the game on an old spare computer I had sitting around so the specs are pretty bad. lol

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
NVidia GeForce 6600 GT
1GB RAM

I only use it for Sims and it's played fine until recently.  Hmm but now that you mention it, I did update the video drivers a few days ago.  Is that possibly the problem?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 March 02, 23:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it definitely could be. Try rolling back to older drivers. Your computer isn't great, but it should be enough to run the game without your video card crapping out.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 March 03, 00:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ewe need moar rams?

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 March 03, 00:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not the NVidia BSoD problem?
Morrigan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 March 03, 01:20:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not the NVidia BSoD problem?

Maybe not - I get the same thing every now and then and I have an ATI x700 mobility card.  Haven't updated the drivers (cos I can't find an update for them and everywhere I look tells me I have the latest drivers).  I'm gonna look into the moar ram, I have a 2G celeron processor but only 1G ram.
purplebunny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 March 03, 02:59:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the spinning hourglass/blue screen every few hours or so of playing. It sits that way for up to about three minutes and then play resumes. I have an nVidia GeForce 8600M GT in my laptop. Invariably, once I finally exit the game, I have a little message saying that my video driver crapped itself and then restarted. It's mildly annoying, but not fatally so. Drivers are up-to-date. It doesn't bother me too much. I just make sure I save frequently.

angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 March 03, 03:28:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could deal with doing it only every few hours but I get it every few minutes.  I'll just go back to the old drivers and see if that helps.
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 March 03, 09:48:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It definitely sounds like the problem you get when you install newer NVidia drivers. I had this until I changed back to the old driver.
Garnet Avi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 March 04, 21:06:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the same blue screen problem with my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. The more CC I use, the more often it happens. Stripped down, the game doesn't do it barely at all. I actually had to stop using custom cars because they put to much strain on the system. I know what's causing my problem: the drivers. If this problem gets too serious it crashes my computer, blues screen of death-throws style. The blue screen tells me my atiblahblah.blah driver has crashed.
I can't really do anything about this problem, but I thought it might help someone else to hear about it. And as advice to those of you having a similar problem: watch the CC. Poly counts are a bitch, apparently.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 March 04, 21:09:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the same blue screen problem with my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400...I know what's causing my problem: the drivers.

That and the fact that you are running off a laptop, which means your processor may overheat if you don't do some extra cooling.  This could also cause slowdowns and crashes.  Your card's specs suggest that it should run the game in any case.

Tribulatio proxima est
Garnet Avi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 04, 21:16:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the same blue screen problem with my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400...I know what's causing my problem: the drivers.

That and the fact that you are running off a laptop, which means your processor may overheat if you don't do some extra cooling.  This could also cause slowdowns and crashes.  Your card's specs suggest that it should run the game in any case.

I'm on a Dell, which is a warranty replacement for a previous computer that had major overeating problems (I don't seem to have as many problems with this now). The Dell part means that Ati won't support the drivers, and the warranty replacement means I didn't choose it. I know it's not the best thing ever, but it's not like I can impulse-replace anything, being a college student. The Sims is the only thing I really ever have a problem with. I only have one computer, after all.
Simergy
Asinine Airhead

I am in shape. Round is a shape.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 04, 22:06:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It definitely sounds like the Nvidia problem.
I have that video casrd, too.  My system does that hour glass thing all the time. 

I found if I put TS2 in a window, it wouldn't crash my computer, which it did often.

As far as I know, that's the only solution.

Better safe than sorry
angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 04, 23:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well rolling back to my previous drivers seemed to fix the blue screen issue. But it's hard to tell because unfortunately I don't get to play long before it crashes.  Angry  I never thought about playing it in a window instead of full screen, I'll try that next and see if it helps.

Thanks everyone  Smiley
angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 05, 19:33:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, sorry if this is a stupid question and feel free to point and laugh if you must... but I'm not seeing an option to play it in a window instead of full screen.  Is it there and I completely missed it or is there a trick to doing it?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 05, 19:36:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not stupid.  It's not a regular option. Smiley

Right click on the shortcut for the game, and in the Target box, after the final quotation mark,  add a space and then -w

- Kurt Vonnegut
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 05, 19:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right-click on the shortcut to the game and select "Properties". Add "-w" without the quotes to the end of the Target line so that it reads "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSBin\Sims2EP7.exe" -w, or wherever your game folder is located. Make sure there is a space between the "...exe" and the -w.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
angel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 05, 19:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahh ok, I got it. Thanks so much  Grin
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 March 05, 19:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Embarrassed Forgot that whole "select properties" step. LOL

- Kurt Vonnegut
Jadis
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 March 05, 20:09:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's just me being inept, but I can't get beyond the final quotation mark. Would it work if I replaced the quotation mark and then added the space and -w? I don't want to break my game...(well, more than it already is)

Tests say I'm INFP. I feel that ISFP describes what I act like more accurately than INFP, though. But both descriptions are pretty covering, so take your pick, or combine them.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 March 05, 20:16:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, that would work. Don't worry, you won't blow up the game. I found out when I mistyped something to avoid the launcher, it won't let you point it at someplace that doesn't exist.  Cheesy

- Kurt Vonnegut
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 March 05, 22:53:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm on a Dell, which is a warranty replacement for a previous computer that had major overeating problems (I don't seem to have as many problems with this now). The Dell part means that Ati won't support the drivers, and the warranty replacement means I didn't choose it. I know it's not the best thing ever, but it's not like I can impulse-replace anything, being a college student. The Sims is the only thing I really ever have a problem with. I only have one computer, after all.

Hee!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: