More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 11:38:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Computer not recognising my shiny new RAM.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer not recognising my shiny new RAM.  (Read 8768 times)
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Computer not recognising my shiny new RAM.
« on: 2008 February 20, 19:29:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Until today I had 3GB (three 1GB sticks) of RAM in my computer. I wanted to buy some more (since I upgraded to Vista) so I picked up a 2GB stick to fill my remaining slot.

So I should have 5GB of RAM now.... but I'm not sure if I do.

DxDiag now says that I only have 2GB installed (it seems that I've managed to lose RAM in the process) , as does any other option I can think to check while I'm in my operating system. The thing is, my bios says that I have 5GB of RAM installed and working.

Which is correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Computer not recognising my shiny new RAM.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 20, 19:47:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, most current computers require two sticks of the same type to make up memory, so I'm surprised your computer even saw the 3GB in there (it should have only seen 2GB). Try getting another 2GB stick and replacing one of the 1GBs with it and see if that makes a difference.  This is of course assuming you use DDR2 RAM -- if not, then this may not apply.

And if you have XP, having more than 2GB is kinda useless, since XP only really uses up to 2GB of RAM.  Vista uses more, I believe, but since I don't Vista (and won't for the foreseeable future), I don't know how much it can use.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 20, 20:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it's DDR2.

When I had XP installed it certainly acknowledged the existence of my 3GB even if it wasn't using it. Vista seems to think that I only have two of five installed for some reason.

I suppose I'll have to go out and buy another 2GB stick to pair with it  Cry

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 20, 20:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Errr. Really? Because I was told they didn't have to be the same size. I had a GIG and half for awhile.

Are all of your RAM sticks made by the same manufacturer? Some sticks don't like talking to each other. So it could be that when you stuck the new one in, it decided it hated RAM stick A so now the two of them are too busy fighting with each other to be accessible.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 20, 20:27:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are all of your RAM sticks made by the same manufacturer? Some sticks don't like talking to each other. So it could be that when you stuck the new one in, it decided it hated RAM stick A so now the two of them are too busy fighting with each other to be accessible.

I have a big hodge-podge of brands. I have the two sticks that came with my computer and then a stick that I bought later (different brand) they all worked together. I bought this 2GB stick today different brand from my original pair and the third stick.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 20, 20:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That could be it. When I upgraded to 2 gigs, my shiney new Kingston hated my PNY. So, I went and got two kingston.

The way to check for this though, would be to remove all the sticks but the new one. If your PC can read the new one, that means that it is a compatability issue with the other RAM. If it can't... you got a busted stick. Return it.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 20, 20:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 20, 23:41:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Until today I had 3GB (three 1GB sticks) of RAM in my computer. I wanted to buy some more (since I upgraded to Vista) so I picked up a 2GB stick to fill my remaining slot.

I'm assuming you installed the 64-bit version of Windows Vista yes? If you're still using a 32-bit OS (like Windows XP or anything below Vista Ultimate unless you request the 64-bit disc from Microsoft) the higher memory simply cannot be addressed (each section in memory needs an address, for example 0x00A64CFF - made it up just for illustration; once you run out of spaces ie. 0xFFFFFFFF the pc can't see anything past that.)

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 21, 20:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Argon, I'm running the 32-bit version. 64-bit doesn't support sli apparently and I have dual video cards.

After doing some more research I found a few possible ways to work around my problem.

I enabled PAE, following the intructions here: http://vistarewired.com/2007/03/29/how-to-enable-more-than-35-gb-of-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista/. It didn't change anything.

I downloaded Vista service pack 1 and installed it. This did actually make a difference. My system menu now says that I have 5GB installed. However, dxdiag still says that I only have 2GB installed.

I'm not really sure how trustworthy dxdiag is since it displays the incorrect amount of memory for my dual video cards aswell.

My system is certainly running faster; but as to whether that's from the newly recognised RAM or the service pack I don't know.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 21, 20:55:31 by spookymuffin » Logged

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 22, 00:52:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming you installed the 64-bit version of Windows Vista yes? If you're still using a 32-bit OS (like Windows XP or anything below Vista Ultimate unless you request the 64-bit disc from Microsoft) the higher memory simply cannot be addressed (each section in memory needs an address, for example 0x00A64CFF - made it up just for illustration; once you run out of spaces ie. 0xFFFFFFFF the pc can't see anything past that.)
Huh? I'm running Windows XP and 4 gigs RAM. It definitely recognizes it and, since I upgraded from 2 gigs to 4, things like flipping between programs like Photoshop and SimCity4 and Sims2 are almost instantaneous. It's a definite improvement. I see the correct amount of RAM listed in dxdiag and under Help and Support Center...Computer Information:
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
Processor Speed 2.92 GHz
Memory (RAM) 4096 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 22, 01:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

32 bit versions of Windows won't USE more than 3.something GB of RAM, but it will see it.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 22, 03:19:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not in the system properties window it won't. Search the KB articles on Micro$oft's website, the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) can't see it so nothing else in the OS will know it's there. It is a limitation of a 32-bit data path, you see it in other operating systems as well.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 22, 06:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

32-bit machines cannot show more than 4 GBs of all memories. If you have more than that, nothing happens. Even that alleged Vista hack will not enable Vista to actually see that many RAMs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 22, 06:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But shouldn't it be showing him/her 3 GB, or 4 GB, not 2?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 22, 06:50:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it only recognizes the new 2 GB stick and ignores the three 1 GB sticks?
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 22, 10:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well my OS can certainly see all of my RAM.

Are you saying that even though it shows up as 5GB above that it is still not using all of it?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 22, 11:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably it sees 2 GB, then, because Vista is chewing up the remaining 3. You *ARE* using VISTA, after all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
spookymuffin
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 22, 13:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Probably it sees 2 GB, then, because Vista is chewing up the remaining 3.

But when I had only 3GB installed that all showed up fine.

You *ARE* using VISTA, after all.

I would have prefered to stay with XP but I got a pair of 8800 GTS cards for my birthday and I didn't want their directX 10 capabilities to go to waste.

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 22, 17:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well my OS can certainly see all of my RAM.

Are you saying that even though it shows up as 5GB above that it is still not using all of it?

Yes, that's exactly what we're saying. 32 bit systems can only use a little over 3 GB of RAM. That's it. Now if you had in 4 GB, it wouldn't be that much overkill, since your drives need to use some RAM too, and they can use the extra. But 5? Complete waste.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 February 22, 17:29:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, good. I didn't want that 4th stick to feel unwanted. Wasn't that expensive (I think I paid $40 a stick). Theoretically, when I upgrade my HD, it'll use more RAMmage.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 February 22, 22:10:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You might want to read this:  Vista Workshop: More RAM, More Speed.

Most users will be sobered when they equip their systems with 4 GB of RAM and find that only 3 GB is recognized by the BIOS and by Windows. This is neither a bug nor due to any hardware error. The explanation is simple: 32-bit systems can only address up to 4 GB of memory. Additionally, many add-in cards and on-board controllers require memory addresses in order to be accessible. This is called "Memory Mapped IO" (MMIO). Since this memory range has to lie within the 4 GB, it is subtracted from the installed and available RAM.

Thanks to a technique called memory remapping, it is possible to move around parts of the system memory in such a way that the full 4 GB is still available for use. The trouble is that this feature had to be deactivated in Windows Vista due to compatibility issues.

In order to be able to utilize the entire system memory, you will therefore need to use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista. In this article, we will take a look at memory usage under the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, and analyze how the operating system behaves with different amounts of RAM.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: