More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 15:30:56

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Faster computer - why the lag?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Faster computer - why the lag?  (Read 8683 times)
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
Faster computer - why the lag?
« on: 2008 February 14, 05:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+   3.36 GHz

3582 MB RAM

4 gb Corsair XMS DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

I don't know what any of this means, other than this new computer of mine is way more powerful than my old, with a 3x as much RAM, a better video card, and faster processor.  I'm not a hardware spec person, but l figure that a better computer = better running games?  Why wouldn't it?

I loaded up the sims today for the first time since transfering my files last night, and I expected it to fly.  I guess it did... load times were half or less than what they were on my old computer, but the game itself dragged horrendously when I tried to play.  Animations lagged to a crawl, camera rotations had a several second delay, whether rotating, scrolling, or zooming.  On my old computer, the response was almost always immediate, and even though there was some lag, it wasn't enough for me to consider the game unplayable, as I find it now. Undecided

I don't know what the deal is.  The graphic settings are at the highest level, which is what I had them set at in the past.  If my old computer could run it, then this one surly could.  But I don't think that's the problem, because even toning the settings down didn't make a difference.

It's odd because when I hit the start button key to minimize and return to my desktop, I'm there immediantly.  My old computer would give me a five minute lag before switching back.  So it's working faster behind the scenes -  as well as being faster on everything else it does.  There's no question that this isn't the superior computer.

I've closed all background tasks, system tasks, whatever seems unnessecary, but it shouldn't matter anyways if I have more than enough memory to run it.

Like I said, I'm not a hardware literate person.  I know this computer shouldn't have problems running the game, and if I had a guess, it would be with the system settings, video card, or divers.  I've already changed some of the settings to work for best performace, but beyond that, there seem to be so many new options with windows vista, I don't even know what I should consider.  I hate it. Embarrassed 

Does anyone know what could be causing the lag, or how to fix it, based on the hardware specs I posted? I can post more information if needed, but since I don't really know what's important, I'm not sure what to look for.  Any help would be appreciated, because if I can't get my game running at least as fast as it was on my old computer, I'm switching back, then all the money that went in to this one would be for nothing Roll Eyes

Thanks! Smiley

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Faster computer - why the lag?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 14, 18:56:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are probably looking for the multiprocessor syncing fix, although some people have reported this didn't solve their problem: Re: Are these BV bugs, or is it just me?, Re: BV freezes forever.

Being a new computer, odds are it has Vista installed. Upgrade to XP.  Wink
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 15, 00:15:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the links, the syncing fix seems like it might solve things, though the updates and utilities are for xp Cry  I've downloaded the amd cpu driver for vista, but haven't noticed any improvements.  I'm still thinking this could solve things, if only I had the right utilities.

I do have a better idea of the problem though.  I first said that the animations were dragging as well, but on closer inspection, I realized they were actually faster and smoother.  The problem seems to lie just with my computers input devices, like the mouse and keyboard.  It takes several seconds before my actions are carried out in game, creating the lag when panning across the screen or zooming in and out.  Also, it's particularly noticable with the keyboard when I try to type things in the cheat menu.  I'm used to seeing the text appear as soon as I hit the keys, but now there's a sluggish delay before the text appears in the box. 

It's like these interfaces alone aren't running as fast as they should.  The game on the other hand, runs better than it ever has before... I just can't keep up with it when my sims are moving faster than I can follow, and rotating furniture has become so slow I might as well avoid buy and build mode all together.  Does this sound like it could be related to the dual processor problem?  I'm going to try and change the affinity of the game when it's running, see if that helps,  But I might end up returning to xp before this is all over.  I've loathed using vista from the start. Tongue

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 17, 18:32:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried new mouse/keyboard drivers?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 19, 06:23:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Drivers?  No, since the problem seemed to only exist inside the game.  I guess I can see how that would effect it though, espeacially with a new operating system.  Fortunatly, I was able to solve the lag by switching to a lower resolution, 1152 X 864, I think?  I thought it was set up to what I used to play on by default, and I still have trouble understanding why it made the difference it did, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore. Cheesy

Thanks for the help though Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 19, 06:39:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the "new operating system" Vista? Because that would be why. Vista chews up 75% of your RAMs, so unless you have at leat 8 GBs of RAMs, it's pointless to even consider using it. Even Microsoft think it's crap. It's ME all over again.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 22, 04:49:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it's vista. Roll Eyes  I had a bad foreboding about it way before I switched, and one of the first things I noticed was all the crap system services running in the background.  I shut most of them down before playing, always.  But I don't know if it really makes a difference Undecided  For now, the change in game resolution seems to fix the lag problem, though sometimes, when I go back to the game after minimizing it, there's a lag I can't get rid of. 

Yeah, I've seriously considered switching back to xp... but won't it only be a matter of time before Vista takes over all together?  I feel like it's something I'm gonna have to inevitably accept, now or later. Undecided
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 22, 04:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not necessarily, you could hang on to XP until the OS after Vista comes out. Much like I did for ME.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 22, 06:04:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's no reason to go to Vista.  I ran 98 until XP SP1.  I will run XP until something comes out that won't make me want to toss the computer out the window.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 22, 06:06:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Vista is so utterly crap that things that were originally dedicated Vista exclusives that weren't even supposed to run on XP...run better when hacked to run on XP. Vista = CRAP. Go back to XP!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 22, 14:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the whole directx 10 problem? I kind of expect Microsoft to force the issue.

quasim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 28, 15:38:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Who needs DirectX 10 on Vista? Like putting the motor of a Porsche in a tractor :/
Scotty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 March 01, 01:59:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could install the game on The Enterprise computer, and it would still lag.

Come visit us at the Gay Sims Club 2.

http://gaysimsclub2.net

I'm a Gay Pirate! Arrr!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 March 01, 02:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What about the whole directx 10 problem? I kind of expect Microsoft to force the issue.
Given that Microsoft is backpedalling on Vista and games are developed to run XP, which is still the dominant platform still, even if they do support Vista, it is unlikely that Microsoft will force the issue more than they already have: They TRIED making DX10 Vista exclusives. These were hacked to run on XP. They ran better that way!

Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 March 04, 06:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does one switch to XP from Vista? I ask because I just bought a new computer and would prefer XP, but it came with Vista. Do I have to spend mucho money to purchase XP? How do I remove Vista?

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 March 04, 06:55:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You find a copy of XP and you install it.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 March 04, 08:30:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But NOT over the top of Vista, which I have heard that some people have tried to do. Don't know whether that's an urban myth or not.
Find a tutorial on the net and print it out beforehand. Find the drivers you need for everything and put them on a CD or DVD.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 March 06, 18:57:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I will consider it. Thank you.

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 March 06, 19:33:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a handy little utility called nLite (http://www.nliteos.com/) that easily makes custom XP install CDs for you.  When you install or repair XP, it asks for custom drivers on a floppy -- since most of us don't even HAVE a floppy drive anymore, this can be a problem.  nLite will copy the XP install CD, then you tell it which drivers to add (i.e., for AHCI disks, new motherboard, new video card, etc) and it generates a new image of the XP install CD with all the new drivers added.  Saved my ass recently when I built my new PC and moved my hard disk over from the old one.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: