More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 23:21:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Do veggies from sickly plants give food as much gumption as thriving ones?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Do veggies from sickly plants give food as much gumption as thriving ones?  (Read 8442 times)
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Do veggies from sickly plants give food as much gumption as thriving ones?
« on: 2008 February 14, 03:22:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And are juice effects the same?

I can't tell, but if the quality of produce makes no difference, I see no point in wasting my sims' time chatting up all the plants until thriving. I don't ever sell the vegetables.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 14, 03:38:31 by buddha pest » Logged
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
Re: Do veggies from sickly plants give food as much gumption as thriving ones?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 14, 03:52:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen yucky juice provide any benefits.  Only good stuff.  I may be mistaken.
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 14, 04:08:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What happens if you have a mish-mash? Some good and some yuck?

I was really hoping there would be something about this in The War Room.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 14, 04:15:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know.  Perhaps El Presidente will see this and comment.
tgcgoddess
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 14, 05:36:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Prima Guide (and we all know just how accurate THAT can be!) the quality of food does affect the hunger point satisfaction in a 1-2-3 manner.  Example: a bland tomato offers 1 point, tasty offers 2, and 3 for mouthwatering.
This also applies to the juices.  I've not made any juices, but the guide says that only tasty and mouthwatering will give you the "Power Juice".

So, yes, the higher, the better, but how much time you want to spend chatting up your plants is up to you.
Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 14, 06:48:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed that juice made from mouth-watering fruit/veg always delivers the bonus effects e.g. eggplant juice gives skill points and orangeade random badge points. Juice from tasty fruit/veg doesn't always give the desired effect and juice from bland fruit/veg has no additional benefits. I'm fairly sure that if you mix qualities that the resultant juice takes the lowest quality as I have made the mistake in the past so sell anything that isn't mouth-watering. The orangeade and eggplant badge boosts were fixed in one of the Seasons patches. Depending on your gameplay style it can be worth the effort being nice to your crops and tending/watering plants is a useful fun building pastime for children prior to homework.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 14, 20:41:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Macro Garden FTW!

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 14, 20:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Always Perfect Gardens FTW.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 14, 21:00:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Shift-click boosting cheat at harvest FTW.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 14, 23:31:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheaters!  Cheesy

No, I do of course, use Macro - Garden, but it's pretty boring watching sims conversate with all the zillions of plants and trees for hours on end whether I'm doing all the clicking or not.

Although in bigger households, I just send the elders out there to do what they will since they often haven't got much better to do.
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 15, 14:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also note (and maybe you guys already know this) that it doesn't seem to make any difference if you only talk to the plant just before harvest.  I've had nearly dead plants that I talked up to thriving just before harvest, and the harvest was still mouthwatering.  They don't have to be thriving the whole time.  I also have a "talk to plants faster" mod.

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 15, 14:40:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FPV is about 1/3 the value of a "thriving" plant. Juice benefits do not exist for non-mouthwatering produce. All non-thriving produce is useful only as vendor trash, to be converted to cash or limited FPV.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 15, 23:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also note (and maybe you guys already know this) that it doesn't seem to make any difference if you only talk to the plant just before harvest.  I've had nearly dead plants that I talked up to thriving just before harvest, and the harvest was still mouthwatering.  They don't have to be thriving the whole time.  I also have a "talk to plants faster" mod.

It takes much less talking to bring a seedling up to thriving than a full-grown plant, though.  On top of that, thriving plants are much less susceptible to weeds as they grow, so it's a significant time savings to talk to them as they break through the soil.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 16, 17:04:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It takes much less talking to bring a seedling up to thriving than a full-grown plant, though.  On top of that, thriving plants are much less susceptible to weeds as they grow, so it's a significant time savings to talk to them as they break through the soil.
Both of these are not-trueities. Weed probability is unrelated to condition of plant. Health boost for talking is linear and does not depend on age of plant.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 16, 18:53:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What do you know.  Must have been a placebo moment.  So, does anything affect the probability of weeds, apart from being grown outside?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 17, 16:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the base game? No, nothing. Not even outside/inside. With Awesomeware: Outdoor plants are much more susceptible than indoor plants by several orders of magnitude.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 17, 19:48:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any point continuing talking to a plant past the point when the produce becomes mouthwatering?  Looks to me like sims just keep on talking until the produce has maxed out some invisible bar.  I've been assuming juice would have maximum effect if the fruit was mouthwatering and cancelling sims out of talking to plants to pick. 

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
dream_operator
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 18, 00:34:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Supposedly, the higher your sim's gardening badge the longer it is in between tending times...meaning weeds don't sprout near as often if a gold badge sim tends them instead of a no badge sim.  I say supposedly because though this is what is said in the Prima guide I haven't tested it out fully in the game.  From what I have done in the game though, it does seem to hold true. 

There is no meaning in our world for us who live there. No meaning at all. -Ulquiorra
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 18, 12:38:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any point continuing talking to a plant past the point when the produce becomes mouthwatering?
Thriving is thriving. Exact thrivingness is insensitive, but yes, it is, in fact, trying to max out the invisible bar before autostopping, which gives it a bit of buffer room so it doesn't immediately drop in mid-pick.

Countess
cwykes
Retarded Reprobate

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 February 18, 17:38:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for confirming.  I've been running a few places with large plots and it feels like the sims are wasting a lot of time talking to thriving plants. I've never had a quality drop mid-pick - or not that I've noticed.  I guess I assumed that the quality was fixed at the starting point, but I guess you're telling me that it's set at the end of the animation.  So is this buffer an appropriate size to prevent the drop, or would a little fine tuning on the macro-gardening be possible?

Sick of Bluewater?  Try Sedona or Meadow Lawns instead.  Meadow Lawns is a whole neighbourhood built to explore OFB.  Sedona is a sub'hood you can install as a permanent alternative to Bluewater - it's an "out of this world" experience!  www.moreawesomethanyou.com/cwykes
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 February 18, 17:41:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once a "Talk to" is ordered, control falls over to Maxis and does not return until the code decides that it is done. It is estimated that it will not waste more than 2 or 3 talk cycles, and often it helps.

Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 February 18, 22:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Both of these are not-trueities. Weed probability is unrelated to condition of plant. Health boost for talking is linear and does not depend on age of plant.

I can see how that would seem that way, however. There really is no way to get the health of the plant up once it starts to fall because of the insects (since spraying doesn't improve the health of the plant), short of talking to them or overwatering (which only works for a very short time, then causes the health to drop again). When you first plant a seedling, it is healthy, but by the time a plant is ready for harvest they tend to be sickly, and so it takes more time to talk them up to the point of "thriving."

Pescado, is it only 1/3 the food points for all produce harvested below the "thriving" level, or does it decrease gradually and bottom out at 1/3 for sickly plants?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: