More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 21:36:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Could I replace the images in the speech bubbles?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Could I replace the images in the speech bubbles?  (Read 10445 times)
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Could I replace the images in the speech bubbles?
« on: 2008 February 10, 16:36:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this would be a fairly silly thing to do.  Would it be possible to create default replacements for the speech bubble images?

I'm not asking for someone else to do it, I just want to know if it can be done.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Could I replace the images in the speech bubbles?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 10, 16:59:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is possible to create custom speech bubbles, yes. See "MAI KREMLIN, HAS YOU SEEN IT?" in Awesomeland.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 10, 21:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's perfectly possible.  I think the images are in the UI folder.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 11, 00:11:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this would be a fairly silly thing to do.  Would it be possible to create default replacements for the speech bubble images?

I'm not asking for someone else to do it, I just want to know if it can be done.

Sure, it's just a simple replacement of images.

Go to my "All the icons from the game" thread in Peasantry, and somewhere in there someone asked where they were located, and I gave the exact location.

Fail.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 11, 02:52:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all your help.  It was easier than I thought, once I knew it was possible and where to find the images.

Two questions - can I delete everything else from my modified Objects09 package? 

Also, is there any way to Import the images without losing quality?  Unlike using object workshop, there doesn't seem to be any way to use DDS utilities.  As you can see, the recolored speech bubble has degraded.  I checked and the recolored png does not look like that.

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 11, 03:07:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, your girls face has detached and your boy has sprouted wings.

Just thought I'd point that out Tongue

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 11, 03:20:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good point, Tigerlilley.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 11, 09:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Two questions - can I delete everything else from my modified Objects09 package? 
Also, is there any way to Import the images without losing quality?

1: Yes.
2. When replacing this kind of images, not really.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 12, 01:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder why some kinds of images can be replaced using the DDS utilities and others can't?  I wanted to make replacements for some LIFO files a while back but the images degraded too badly to be useful... :/
« Last Edit: 2008 February 12, 21:42:58 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 12, 12:16:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm assuming this is a weakness in SimPE.  Annoying, yes.
Sometimes when I use DDS utilities, I get quality distortion even when using the highest quality settings.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 12, 15:50:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, your girls face has detached and your boy has sprouted wings.

My test neighborhood is possessed by demons.  Soon it will be possessed by demons who spend all their time talking about rainbows and puppies.   Wink

Yes, it's a limitation of SimPe.  The options available in the object workshop aren't available when editing these files.  They probably never expected anyone to edit these image files.
Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 12, 16:26:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What method do you use to import the images? Do you extract and replace IMG resources?
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 12, 19:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm really an amateur at using SimPe.  The only options when right-clicking on the image are Import, Import Alpha Channel, Export, and Export Alpha channel.  So I just used the Import and Export buttons.

There are a few other options, but I'm not familiar with what they do.

Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 12, 20:00:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using the nVidia DDS utility for importing your texture/creating mipmaps? If not, you'll lose texture quality. This thread on MTS2 tells you where to download them from and how to install and use them.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 12, 21:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using the nVidia DDS utility for importing your texture/creating mipmaps? If not, you'll lose texture quality. This thread on MTS2 tells you where to download them from and how to install and use them.

eevilcat, as we were just discussing, the nVidia DDS options are not available for importing that type of file (as well as some other types) even if you do have the utilities installed.  :/

Marchioness
eevilcat
Retarded Reprobate

Poke, point, laugh...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 12, 21:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oops, that'll teach me to read previous replies properly.  Embarrassed Silly me, you don't need to compress the UI textures as they are small, only a few are on display at once and they need to retain their crispness.

EDIT: I just had a play with this and can't repeat your problem. I exported the same image, modified it in Photoshop CS2 to approximate the same colours as yours then reimported it at which point it still looks identical to the image in Photoshop. Is it possible the problem is in the editing? Can you import the unmodified file ok? Here is a copy of my edited file to try and see if the problem is with your file(s) specifically.

« Last Edit: 2008 February 12, 22:47:51 by eevilcat » Logged

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 12, 22:56:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That image may look fine when you import it, but when saving the package, SimPe uses a compression scheme that will degrade image quality substantially. The only acceptable compression is done by nvdxt.exe.

I've submitted a small patch to SimPe 0.65 which only duplicates the Import DDS and Build DXT functions into the LIFO editor, you might try if that works for you.  Smiley
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 12, 23:09:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That image may look fine when you import it, but when saving the package, SimPe uses a compression scheme that will degrade image quality substantially. The only acceptable compression is done by nvdxt.exe.

I've submitted a small patch to SimPe 0.65 which only duplicates the Import DDS and Build DXT functions into the LIFO editor, you might try if that works for you.  Smiley

Could you point me at where your patch is, Theo, or is it now part of the QA download?

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 12, 23:28:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The file is posted at http://simpeforum.ambertation.de/forum/viewthread/4826/24720

The compiled binary was built with SimPe's latest source, so I don't know if it works with versions prior to 0.65. I've included it here along with the patched .cs file, but if you want to build it you must download SimPe's latest source and plop the .cs file in the Simpe Scenegraph folder.

I've made a test with the same resource used by nocomment, and the result was free of large compression artifacts.

By the way, there's no need to change the objects09.package file, you only have to extract the resources that interest you and package them into the downloads folder. Wink

* simpe.scenegraph.zip (112.02 KB - downloaded 235 times.)
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2008 February 12, 23:58:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The file is posted at http://simpeforum.ambertation.de/forum/viewthread/4826/24720

The compiled binary was built with SimPe's latest source, so I don't know if it works with versions prior to 0.65. I've included it here along with the patched .cs file, but if you want to build it you must download SimPe's latest source and plop the .cs file in the Simpe Scenegraph folder.

I've made a test with the same resource used by nocomment, and the result was free of large compression artifacts.

By the way, there's no need to change the objects09.package file, you only have to extract the resources that interest you and package them into the downloads folder. Wink

...all right, I am clearly made of dumb today.  I've got the latest build (it says 0.65) and I can't for the life of me find a "Scenegraph" folder anywhere.  Help!

Theo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 February 13, 00:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, the .cs goes to that folder in the SimPe source. What you got was the binaries, that's where the .dll should be copied.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 February 13, 03:36:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, thanks!  I tested that and it works!

I'm afraid I don't know how to extract the resources and package them.  I'm really a beginner with SimPE.

(Amber - I just put the dll in the Program Files/SimPE.  I believe the other file is for people who want to build/compile SimPE themselves.)
« Last Edit: 2008 February 13, 03:48:45 by nocomment » Logged
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2008 February 13, 04:08:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, thanks!  I tested that and it works!

I'm afraid I don't know how to extract the resources and package them.  I'm really a beginner with SimPE.

(Amber - I just put the dll in the Program Files/SimPE.  I believe the other file is for people who want to build/compile SimPE themselves.)

That part's pretty easy.  Assuming you already know what files you want to change:

1.  In the Resource List view, right-click on the resource(s) you want and choose "Extract."  Save to whatever folder you like.
2.  Then go to the File menu and choose "New."  SimPE will start an empty package for you.
3.  Right-click anywhere in the Resource view and choose "Add," select all the stuff you just extracted (they'll be XML files with big alphanumeric filenames) and hit Open.  This imports copies of the resources you just extracted.
4.  Then save the file as a .package with whatever filename you want and edit to your heart's desire.  XD
« Last Edit: 2008 February 13, 22:11:58 by AmberDiceless » Logged

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 February 13, 14:18:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That part's pretty easy.  Assuming you already know what files you want to change:

1.  In the Resource List view, right-click on the resource(s) you want and choose "Extract."  Save to whatever folder you like.
2.  Then go to the File menu and choose "New."  SimPE will start an empty package for you.
3.  Right-click anywhere in the Resource view and it choose "add," select all the stuff you just extracted (they'll be XML files with big alphanumeric filenames) and hit Open.  This imports copies of the resources you just extracted.
4.  Then save the file as a .package with whatever filename you want and edit to your heart's desire.  XD

Making a copy of the source package and deleting all the unchanged resources will have the same result.  But, yes, it's best to learn to export, import and replace right from the start.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 February 16, 08:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, the wings are neat. I wonder if we can get The Monarch in the game.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: