More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 01:45:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  I know JM doesn't recommend a laptop running the game....But!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I know JM doesn't recommend a laptop running the game....But!  (Read 9064 times)
Flipant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I know JM doesn't recommend a laptop running the game....But!
« on: 2008 February 08, 06:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought a Toshibia Qosimio G30-Av4 october 2006.  By march 2007, I had major problems with it and had to send it in.  Turned out the mother board was gone.  They replaced it, the hell I had to go through to send it out and get it back, was something I never thought of when I bought this machine.  There is not one Toshiba authorized dealer in my area, way up north in BC, so I had to send it to Vancouver.  Anyway, long story short, it came back a month and a half later.  Ran fine.  I run up to Seasons, no fun packs.  About 1.8 gigs of downloads, my hacks are from maty. 

I bought this machine because of the specks, being told also by the sales people that it would run TS2 without a problem.  It has intel Core 2 Duo T7200 - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB ddr2, 220 GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 256 mb graphics.  Windows Xp Media. 

Never did have any problems running the game.  Then come March, getting major bsod's ,my screen goes wierd, green stripes down it, funny crap happening, couldn't boot into windows, that I could see because of all the funny crap on my monitor.  I send it out, which I won't get into, but god dam does Toshiba suck for customer service! Sent the thing down to Vancouver, and it was the motherboard, they replaced it.  The computer was only 5 months old. 

Now here I am, same shit happening, Toshiba tells me that the motherboard they replaced it with, is only under warrenty as long as the computer is, which was last october.  I have extended warrenty, if I drop it, spill on it, whatever, i get a new one.  They tell me once again to send it to vancouver.  There goes another month of my life.  Now, besides my bitches about Toshiba, with these specs, TS2 should NOT be the problem, am I right?  That's what I want to know, cuz i don't do anything with this computer but play TS2, Simcity, surf the net, and talk on msn.  Msn was acting up just before the crash, if I tried to do a video call or set my web cam settings, msn would freeze up and I'd have to cold boot the machine because msn wouldn't close or do a dam thing but sit there pissing me off.

I'd just like to know from the great one, is it TS2 screwing me up, or did I just get a dam good dud of a laptop?  Yes yes, i may be non awesome, but I need to know for sure!  lol  Any help is appreciated, I paid a good penny for this laptop, just so I could play my game when we are on the road, and if it isn't the machine for it, I will smash it and collect my accidental damage warrenty!  lol  Didn't pay all that money for nothing.

Thanks all, even if there are sarcastic remarks, I will appreciate them. 

PS:  Oh great JM, the machine has never once heated up while running TS2 or anything else.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: I know JM doesn't recommend a laptop running the game....But!
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 08, 07:46:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your specs should be sufficient, given that you have an actual graphics card in it, but the problem with powerful laptops is that they have major heat dissipation issues, and likely your laptop is frying. Fried boards from overheating typically exhibit symptoms like that. Also, EWE NEED MOAR RAMS. With 2 GB of RAMs, you should not be using that much CC.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 08, 07:47:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS2 shouldn't give you hardware problems. If you are worried about heat, do what I do and get a little cooling pad with fans in it to stick under the computer. They're about 20 bucks.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 08, 07:51:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, try misting the boards with liquid nitrogen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 08, 15:07:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't play with the computer on your lap. Your body heat doesn't help the laptop keep cool.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 08, 15:46:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't play with the computer on your lap. Your body heat doesn't help the laptop keep cool.
I find it amusing that a laptop no longer goes in your lap, either because it will give you severe burns, or because it will overheat if you do.

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 08, 15:59:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, if people didn't complain about lappy being 15 pounds and thick as a phone book we wouldn't have this problem. Thin laptops = no air flow and no cooling systems.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 08, 17:47:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pssh. They're a bunch of wussies. In my day, Lappies were an extremely portable 42 pounds. AND WE LIKED IT! Mine still is!

Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 08, 19:10:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember when you HAD to get a backpack to carry your lappy, because they wouldn't fit in a briefcase.

Flipant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 08, 19:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much, didn't want to give up the game on this machine.  I never use it on my lap, have a little computer tray.  I will check into getting more ram while it is in getting fixed.  Mean time, I'll try REAL hard to cut back on my download folder.  Much appreciated.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 08, 20:26:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely keep it off your lap if you're a guy, as there's evidence your sperm count will be reduced because of the heat transmitted by the laptop.  On the other hand, that could be a method of cheap birth control.   
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 09, 06:00:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine sits on a lap tray (bed tray? what are those things called?!) which has a lip around the edge. Since it is a large laptop, this works well. I put a paperback under the other edge to keep it even, and it has lots of airflow beneath it. No heating problems here.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 11, 18:43:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Definitely keep it off your lap if you're a guy, as there's evidence your sperm count will be reduced because of the heat transmitted by the laptop.  On the other hand, that could be a method of cheap birth control.   

This has been the case ever since laptops were an "Extremely portable 42 pounds".
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 12, 01:27:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm partial to the idea of taking a regular desktop tower and bolting a handle on top and a flat-screen monitor to the side.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 13, 23:56:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bought a Toshibia Qosimio G30-Av4 october 2006.

I was actually about to get that one, but decided it was too huge and expensive and opted to get the Satellite P105-S9722 a month later. Haven't had any problems with it since I tried installing my free Vista upgrade, but that's just because Vista sucks. When you say it couldn't boot into Windows, did it show the Toshiba logo at boot and then the Windows XP screen with the progress bar? It could have also been a driver issue, OEMs never release up to date drivers for their hardware especially video card drivers.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Flipant
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 14, 01:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Argon,

It was booting the toshiba screen but the screen became so garbled that I couldn't tell if it was in windows or not.  When it came back though, I had a heck of a time with my graphics card.  I finally found the correct driver upgrade and it ran tickety boo after that.  I backed all that stuff up a few days before she blew, thank goodness.  It has been an awesome computer short of this motherboard thing.

My problem is the that I have to send it out puralator every time I have a problem.  Even Dell has an authorized dealer here, and their closest is Edmonton?  Doesn't make sense to me, don't see dells on the shelves here but lots of toshiba's!  lol Bitching doesn't help, why would they care. 

I'm thinking of getting a local shop here to build me one next time, then they can take care of it for me.  Thanks all for you help on this.  It made me realize that I need more ram on my desktop, it's on order!  lol  Game slows down and I look at downloads, never ram. 

Cynarra
Blathering Buffoon

S&W: The original point and click interface. ENTJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 16, 14:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had same problem with my desktop and Sims2.  It is your hardware, not the game.

I have the problem narrowed down to bad motherboard or video card on my system.  After 4 months of reformating and it still not fixed, I took to a local shop for $29 to tell me exactly which piece of hardware is bad.  I should know shortly what piece is bad and if it will be cheaper to rebuild or buy new.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 2008 February 19, 17:04:25 by Cynarra » Logged

I AM THE LAW!  Judge Dredd
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 18, 16:53:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OEMs never release up to date drivers for their hardware especially video card drivers.

This is not true.

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 22, 04:10:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OEMs never release up to date drivers for their hardware especially video card drivers.

This is not true.

Maybe "never" isn't the best term, but I've had my laptop since '06 and there has yet to be an updated video driver.  I check regularly. 

I play Sims on an already outdated laptop (I even actually use it on my lap - gotta lift it up every once in a while or my legs get hot, but meh...) and it seems to work wonderfully.  It's probably because I don't know what I'm missing, because I haven't used it on a PC.  I've had little or no problems - knock on wood.

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: