More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 09:30:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Sound options greyed out
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sound options greyed out  (Read 8491 times)
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Sound options greyed out
« on: 2008 February 06, 15:20:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried to play the sims again after an about 1,5 weeks' break, and suddenly the audio options are greyed out and the game has no sound at all.

There seems to be no problem with the sound card itself or the speakers, since the sound works fine in other applications. I tried reinstalling the drivers as well.

Can anyone help?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Sound options greyed out
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 06, 15:29:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never encountered this error. Check that your sound card drivers and DirectSound drivers are all in place, the volume is not set to mute, and soforth.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 06, 17:06:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Occasionally my PC likes to change what port you have to plug the speakers plug into. Doesn't seem to be your problem though. Is the PC muted for EVERYTHING you do or just the Sims?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 06, 17:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's just the Sims, everything else seems to work fine. I'm listening to music through the PC right now. Other games have sound, too.

I checked and reinstalled sound card drivers, don't know about DirectSound but will check that as well.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 07, 01:56:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that happen, only to rectify itself after a reboot.
Funny thing was, the audio worked in othe rapplications, while TS2 had no audio.
I chalked it up to one more example of why Microsoft doesn't write software to run the Space Shuttle with.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 07, 22:48:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that happen, only to rectify itself after a reboot.
Funny thing was, the audio worked in othe rapplications, while TS2 had no audio.
I chalked it up to one more example of why Microsoft doesn't write software to run the Space Shuttle with.

I've had it happen with other things, other then the Sims2 and a reboot was needed. Where as I adore that my chinchilla is getting to like me more and wants to be around where I am, repeatedly running across my keyboard is not a good thing. She seems to have done something so that my sound is no longer controlled through the normal method of my computers drivers but instead through some kind of dvd watching program that came with the computer. Now my sound options just disappear for no reason at all.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 08, 12:23:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have rebooted the PC and the game at least 5 times, but nothing changes. It's starting to annoy me. I miss my simmies Sad
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 08, 15:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you really attached to your hoods? I'd suggest a reinstall. Speaking of which, did you recently uninstall an EP or Stuff Pack? That likes to make the computer barf all over the Sims. I uninstalled OFB once and tried to run off of my NL EP, I lost a lot of options and Veronaville. =p

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 09, 09:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok this is really weird. I uninstalled everything, reinstalled The Sims 2, checked, sound works. Then installed EPs 1-6 without checking in between. Loaded BV with the default settings and neighbourhoods. No sound.

The game worked fine 2 weeks ago, I had not made any changes in quite a while. Then I was away for a week, during which my boyfriend used the PC for surfing on the net but claims not to have changed any settings. He did however install some XP updates, but those shouldn't really break anything?

Huh
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 09, 09:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe try uninstalling the updates? Sometimes XP updates do break things. Last week I just uninstalled 2 XP security updates that was installed 01/09/08 that apparently disabled my torrent connection. I searched around and found some people had the same problem and it was confirmed that XP updates indeed messed it up. So I'd suggest fiddle around with it.
Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 09, 10:07:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now I've narrowed down to the pets patch. The sound works up to pets, but not with the patch installed.

I don't really feel well about uninstalling xp security updates but I'll give it a try.

EDIT: I uninstalled all windows updates visible from add/remove programs, and now it works up to seasons+patch, but in BV there's still no sound. aargh.

EDIT2: I fiddled some more quite randomly and now it all works again. Phew. Stupid Microsoft, stupid EAxis.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 09, 12:52:28 by Ellie » Logged
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 09, 15:20:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So now the sounds are working fine? Was it windows updates?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 09, 15:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you know the joke: An electrical engineer, a mechanical engineer, and a Microsoft engineer are driving down the road in a car when the car stalls and dies. The mechanical engineer states, "I think this is a mechanical problem. Perhaps I should have a look.". The electrical engineer states, "No, I believe this is an electrical problem. I should check.". The Microsoft engineer says, "Let's just close all the windows, get out of the car, and then get back into the car again.".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 09, 16:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you know the joke: An electrical engineer, a mechanical engineer, and a Microsoft engineer are driving down the road in a car when the car stalls and dies. The mechanical engineer states, "I think this is a mechanical problem. Perhaps I should have a look.". The electrical engineer states, "No, I believe this is an electrical problem. I should check.". The Microsoft engineer says, "Let's just close all the windows, get out of the car, and then get back into the car again.".

I heard a similar joke, except the punchline went something like, "Let's just shut it down and restart it."

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 10, 00:17:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem with BV, which I just arred. Tried 2 different versions, same problem. Sound worked fine with Seasons.

Okay, this was fixed by patching and getting a new version of the no-CD crack that was compatible with the patch. If you arred, Ellie, this might be your solution, too.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 10, 04:12:44 by rohina » Logged

Ellie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 12, 15:53:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep it was the XP updates that borked something. Thanks for the help! Only now the sound works and everything seems normal except that there's something wrong with the uni related icons, wants and fears.  Undecided They seem to be missing entirely, see picture: http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6797/borkedunimr9.jpg

Would it help to replace the uni objects.package or do I have to reinstall?
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 12, 16:07:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the icons are in ui.package, not objects.package. But I'm not sure...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: