More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 30, 23:33:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How do I wean myself off of snapdragons?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How do I wean myself off of snapdragons?  (Read 20483 times)
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
How do I wean myself off of snapdragons?
« on: 2008 February 04, 04:54:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IT'S ADDICTION!

Every time I don't use them, it feels like my sims are spending more time juggling their needs than doing anything else!

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Re: How do I wean myself off of snapdragons?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 04, 05:12:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Exercise a little will power, wimp.

I mean, come on, what sort of advice do you really expect?

Fail.
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 04, 05:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Advice on how to keep my sims from self-destructing when they're not using snapdragons?

Seriously, it's like two hours of working/playing/whathaveyouing and six to eight hours of recovery...

am I missing something or are they supposed to waste that much time on refills?

Especially eating...by the time I fill the hunger bar, the bladder is low (understandably), but when I empty the bladder and take a shower, they're hungry again!  It's like a damn horse, just eat and poop all day long.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 04, 05:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see a reason to stop using snapdragons if they work for you and make the game more fun to play. Is there any specific reason you'd like to rid yourself of this "addiction"?

EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 February 04, 05:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It just kinda feels like cheating.

But then so do vampires, robots and plantsims and I have no trouble with those..so maybe you've got a point...
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 February 04, 06:01:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims with more active points need less sleep and such, and I think they lose energy slower. I'm not sure, but I think there may be a similar effect for playful sims and fun?

You might also look at the layout of your houses. Are they very large? How much time does it take for a sim to switch from one activity to another?

In addition, some activities are less draining than others. You might try to be observant of this.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 February 04, 06:02:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Install all the macrotastics items. Push "Power Idle". Watch and learn.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 February 04, 06:06:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That really only works if you have the right items in the house- but the macrotastics REALLY help.

If your sim doesn't have enough cooking points for macrotastics to work, it can kind of let them starve. Power Idle is sort of an advanced setup.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 February 04, 06:07:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Advice on how to keep my sims from self-destructing when they're not using snapdragons?

Seriously, it's like two hours of working/playing/whathaveyouing and six to eight hours of recovery...

Especially eating...by the time I fill the hunger bar, the bladder is low (understandably), but when I empty the bladder and take a shower, they're hungry again!  It's like a damn horse, just eat and poop all day long.
You remind me of this post I saw at the BBS the other day of some kid saying that their sims' spawn kept getting taken by the social worker. When given real advice...teach the kids to do homework, pause when needed, keep families small until they are used to juggling...they basically put their fingers in their ears and shouted "NOT HELPFUL!" but fawned over the players who told them to use maxmotives and boolprop. Lame. Not saying that you are that bad, just that you reminded me of them.

It's simple.
  • Don't use them. Sell those you have off and don't create any more. You no longer have the option.
  • Again, play small families (a couple and a spawn). Play on the slowest speed and pause when you need to. Heck, pause every hour as a rule and check everyone's motives.
  • Learn to do things that fill multiple motives at once. Need social, comfort, and fun? Plop a couple of sims in front of the tv. Comfort from the couch, fun from the tv, and social from talking together.
  • Quality over quantity. Especially with meals, you want your sim with the most cooking skills to cook for everyone else so that they only have to eat one meal a day (since they get fed at school/work). With a new family, one sim should immediately go to learn cooking and have three skill points before a meal is needed. Use quality items. 2 energy/3 comfort beds are cheap for a reason.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 February 04, 06:25:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even my pregnant sims aren't this bad.  I can't help but wonder what sort of personality your sims have and how inefficient the lot design is.

Eating: 
- Train cooking to at least 5, then get your sim to cook a platter of pork chops and stick it in their inventory.  The platter has 6 servings, so this will save on cooking time 5 times.
- In a multi-sim household, get your best cook to cook up a platter each for the other sims and pop it in their inventories.
- Use decent counters and stove for better quality food.  Don't bother with the food processor, as it doesn't add anything if you have good quality counters.
- If you have Seasons, you can improve the food quality further by having fresh food in the fridge.
- Try to make sure your sims eat alone, then they won't waste a lot of time talking while they are supposed to be eating.

Bathroom:
- Add bathroomusesyou to your game.  Make sure you add the BUY toilet paper to each bathroom in your house, and configure it.  Makes bathroom use much more efficient.
- Make sure you have enough bathrooms on the lot.  I aim for at least 1 bathroom (toilet + shower) for every 2 sims living on the lot.  Helps avoid pileups during the morning rush.
- Use a high end toilet and shower so that the sims take less time in the bathroom.
- Showering is quicker than taking a bath, so only put a bath on the lot if you have toddlers and/or dogs.  If given a choice then messy sims seem to always take the bath option in my game.

Energy:
- A high end bed is an essential (E6 or higher on the sleep clock), otherwise your sims spend too much time sleeping trying to regain energy.
- Never use the cheapest bed.  It's a waste of simoleons as sims can recover energy faster if passed out on the floor.
- You can avoid sleep altogether with an espresso machine or if you have Riley's coffee maker in your game.  Just tell your sims to macro/caffeinate, and make sure there's a dishwasher and chair close by in the same room.  You caffeination station should be in or near your skilling area and close to a bathroom.

Personality:
- Pay attention to your sim's personality, as this can alter the time it takes them to do things.
- Get parents & grandparents to encourage traits in your simkids while they're still at the child stage.  Once the parent or grandparent is friends with the child, you can use Macro/encourage for this.
- Active sims will run between places on your lot (under macrotastics), and can stay up later at night.
- Neat sims take longer to eat than messy sims.

Lot layout:
- Is it a three waterbag trip across the lot?  This can waste quite a lot of your sim's time, particularly if your sims are lazy.
- Take a look at the thread on Awesome Spec houses, to get an idea of efficient house design.  Very few downloadable houses on other sites are awesome spec.  Fortunately, we have had a couple of contests here on building awesome spec houses, and results and entries can be found in this board.
- If your sims are lazy and taking three hours to go from kitchen to bathroom, then consider sending them on an Asian vacation and getting them to learn teleport from the ninja.  Macrotastics will use ninja teleport when it's more efficient than the sim walking/running to their destination.

Take a look in the war room and poke around some of the threads in there for further ideas and useful information.
« Last Edit: 2008 February 04, 06:36:49 by Kyna » Logged

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 February 04, 06:34:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

]You remind me of this post I saw at the BBS the other day of some kid saying that their sims' spawn kept getting taken by the social worker. When given real advice...teach the kids to do homework, pause when needed, keep families small until they are used to juggling...they basically put their fingers in their ears and shouted "NOT HELPFUL!" but fawned over the players who told them to use maxmotives and boolprop. Lame. Not saying that you are that bad, just that you reminded me of them.

heh, I'm not that bad and I never use cheat codes or 3rd party cheat items.  I do, however, use macros on the sims I'm not currently controlling.

also, re: all that advice:

I attempt to do that.  I just suck at juggling.  

------------------

ok, I might have exagerrated on the hunger/bladder thing.  The decay rate and clock rate are outrageous, though.  It takes a half hour to take a piss and 5 minutes to walk across the bedroom.  Shocked

I never design my own houses.  I'm even worse at house design than I am at juggling.  I just use premade houses and modify them slightly as needed.

And I try to get the highest rated stuff as quickly as possible, but I still feel like I'm watching my sims recharge more than I'm playing them.

I will say I'm having an easier time of this game than I did with the first one...
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 February 04, 06:43:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't actually read all the advice, did you?

EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 February 04, 06:44:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't actually read all the advice, did you?

Uh, yes, I did... Huh
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 February 04, 06:49:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn, you're a fast reader.

I hadn't even finished editing all my typos when you made your post about "all that advice".

I'd love to have your reading speed, especially when you consider that my advice contained three links to other threads & sections of MATY that would be useful for you to read and thus were part of my advice.

EDIT to add: I assume you were referring to my post when you said "all that advice", rather than Zazazu's much simpler list of 4 dot points.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 February 04, 07:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Damn, you're a fast reader.

I hadn't even finished editing all my typos when you made your post about "all that advice".

I'd love to have your reading speed, especially when you consider that my advice contained three links to other threads & sections of MATY that would be useful for you to read and thus were part of my advice.

EDIT to add: I assume you were referring to my post when you said "all that advice", rather than Zazazu's much simpler list of 4 dot points.

Both, actually.  I started to submit my post and it said there was a new reply.  I didn't visit the links until after I replied, obviously.  But I did read the post.  Tongue

And since I haven't said it yet, thanks for the advice.

[edit] Also, for you technicality lovers, it's probably more accurate for me to have said "I attempt to do most of that.  I didn't think about using platters in inventories because I'm not used to having an inventory...
« Last Edit: 2008 February 04, 07:08:04 by EsotericPolarBear » Logged
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 February 04, 08:56:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I understand your snapdragon addiction, I also overused them but it did get boring. Now I restrict myself to one bouquet per bedroom.

More F than you
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 February 04, 09:22:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use them much anymore.  I do in my legacy house, but then I also have about 12 or 13 ghosts there, so low motives would be lethal.  I also have a bunch at the legacy businesses, especially the ticket businesses. 

The best thing I ever did for the motive cheat/micromanagement problem was to play a BC and then an Asylum, especially the latter.  They may not be terribly happy, they may see the shrink or the therapist, they may pee themselves, but they won't necessarily die. I have a college house that is packed-eight sims and they aren't all that bright.  I use College Rampage and the Skillinator.  When I see a few of them are getting hungry, I have one fix a meal and then Call To Meal.  Otherwise, when I see one complain that he's stinky or needs to pee, I just look at the screen, shrug, and say "figure it out, genius."  Usually they do.

I noticed that on the Macrotastics thread you expressed some concern about socialization.  Seven of those eight sims have one nice point and enjoy picking fights, but most sims would rather be friends.  Their whole little lives are about getting to 100/100 with everybody they know.  A simple Macro>>Socialize>>Friendly will do it, and then after that, the occasional game of Red Hands is your friend (essential because a lot of mine are maxed playful.)

Reading the Awesome Spec houses thread was so helpful.  I didn't do everything to spec, but it solved a lot of trouble. Meeting needs is often a result of poorly deigned house

AuKestrel
Corpulent Cretin

INTJ mother of an ENTP child. Halp!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 February 04, 15:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never design my own houses.  I'm even worse at house design than I am at juggling.  I just use premade houses and modify them slightly as needed.

Seriously - try downloading some of the AwesomeSpec houses. I'm particularly fond of Trepie's Budget AwesomeSauce (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,8931.0.html) if your Sims have the 50k to buy it; otherwise Witch recently posted a couple of playable starter homes (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,10644.0.html).

The house makes a huge difference. The largest lot I usually play, unless it's a Legacy and I have no choice, is a 3x3. You'd be amazed at what you can fit into a 3x3 lot and still have room left over for a pond and a swimming pool.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 February 04, 17:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't use them much anymore.  I do in my legacy house, but then I also have about 12 or 13 ghosts there, so low motives would be lethal.  I also have a bunch at the legacy businesses, especially the ticket businesses. 
Feh, one ghost will do it. I just had a major upset last night when miss meanie-pants Celina was scared only twice by her father's recent ghost when she was already tired from having to get up and get her 7/8 alien son out of the crib. She passed and the two cats and toddler had to go into care, to be quickly rescued by her estranged sister/cousin. Not even Jumbuktu*  could save her, as his shrine was in her bedroom on the other floor.

*Jumbuk IV reward from the Adventurer career that Celina decided was a god, and who she had convinced her older cat he was the avatar of. The girl was maladjusted due to a predisposition to being a mean little shy child, plus her father nearly moving her away from her sister/cousin due to almost marrying a money-grubbing human, plus then later on her sister/cousin married a guy she protested to as he was also human but who she secretly was attracted to. Hopefully having a Jumbuktu-sculpture-filled nursery for his first couple of years won't have screwed up Derek as well.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 February 06, 18:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was concerned about this issue.  My game is full of so many hacks(by the way, make it so enjoyable) that I was wondering if I could play without hacks.  That is probably the main reason that I bought Lifestories.  I play hack free and it is nice to know that I don't have to play with hacks if I don't want to--but it is way better with hacks.  I don't see snapdragons as being that bad-I put one on each nightstand and they wake up refreshed instead of waking up like they had just ran a marathon in their sleep.  If you still want them to eat breakfast together and you have the InSIMinator then make them have 50% hunger lost and then they will eat breakfast. With snapdragons, you will be able to manage their needs in a normal way.
EsotericPolarBear
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 February 06, 19:01:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was concerned about this issue.  My game is full of so many hacks(by the way, make it so enjoyable) that I was wondering if I could play without hacks.  That is probably the main reason that I bought Lifestories.  I play hack free and it is nice to know that I don't have to play with hacks if I don't want to--but it is way better with hacks.  I don't see snapdragons as being that bad-I put one on each nightstand and they wake up refreshed instead of waking up like they had just ran a marathon in their sleep.  If you still want them to eat breakfast together and you have the InSIMinator then make them have 50% hunger lost and then they will eat breakfast. With snapdragons, you will be able to manage their needs in a normal way.

Really, I think the need to mood ratio is just off.  I mean, when I wake up in the morning, I need to piss and take a shower, then eat breakfast...but I don't wake up grouchy and depressed just because I have to do the morning routine (and said routine doesn't take me three hours)

Maybe there's a happy medium somewhere out there...
Count Four
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 February 07, 04:18:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really, I think the need to mood ratio is just off.  I mean, when I wake up in the morning, I need to piss and take a shower, then eat breakfast...but I don't wake up grouchy and depressed just because I have to do the morning routine (and said routine doesn't take me three hours)

Um.  Pause the game at 5:59 a.m., check everybody's motives and queue up what they need the worst before they even wake up--lowest bladder is queued to go toilet, lowest hygiene is queued to shower and lowest hunger is queued to make breakfast/get leftovers as soon as you unpause and their feet hit the floor.

*shrug* Works for me. 

Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 February 07, 04:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you sent them to sleep with Macrotastics, the morning pee/shower/change ritual is handled automatically with all the utilities installed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 February 07, 05:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just don't understand what your problem is. I think that most of us would agree that handling our sims' needs is a manageable and fairly easy process. You've received a lot of excellent advice, and if you try this stuff I am sure that you will find that it isn't actually that hard. I am getting the sense that you really just want to complain about the game.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2008 February 07, 05:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not only is it easy and manageable, but it's so manageable that a machine can do it. So MAKE THE MACHINE DO IT.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: