More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 15:30:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Trailer trash/ Chav names
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Trailer trash/ Chav names  (Read 87393 times)
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: Trailer trash/ Chav names
« Reply #50 on: 2008 February 12, 06:04:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How about a play on words? Onna Chaw, perhaps.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
PaganKitten
Asinine Airhead

ISTP

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2008 February 13, 21:24:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Pleasantview family is named "Inbred."  That is to say, all the non-townies in Pleasantview are from this same family (I have the "Closer Family" mod).  Naturally, almost all of them live in trailers, and they all have double-first names.

Examples include:

(Male) Jim Bob, Johnny Ray, Bubba Ray, Joe Bob, Freddy Bob, Bubba Joe, Timmy Bob, Jerry Jeff, Billy James

(Female) Cindy Lou, Mary Lou, Bobbi Sue, Mary Sue, Cindy Sue, Lisa Marie, Mary Jean, Edna Jo, Billie Jo

Southern U.S. celebrities are also a great source of redneck-type names.  For instance, Jerry Jeff (Walker), Stevie Ray (Vaughan), Lisa Marie (Presley), Anna Nicole (Smith), Billy Bob (Thornton).

If you want to get REALLY silly, you could use "Bubba Bo Bob."  ^_~

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
There is no overkill. Only "open fire" and "I need to reload".
Tchan
Little Bitch
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2008 February 13, 22:17:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love you. This is my kind of thread!

I have the same opinion as people on here about stupid names, it seems. And haha, Madison the mermaid. I nearly choked when I read that, seeing as I ACTUALLY GET IT. For once. I loathe stupid names, with a fiery passion. My nephew just got called Alfie, because the mum, my friend, liked it and because there are no others. Er, yeah, there have been four others in the past month...not to mention he's gonna be known by a kid name for the rest of his life and will never sound serious or grown-up.

BNABBT at Not Without My Handbag served me well, until they kicked me out. I know a lot about naming now. And people who could give MATYans a run for their money nature-wise.

Okay, as for chav names, I actually made up two recently. Angelacy (as in the art of being angelic) and Keislea, in full tryndee spelling (pronounced Kayley). I'm writing a school story full of people with unfortunate names.

Chav boy names:
Lee (resounding king of the chav names, closely followed by Kyle and Jason)
Ryan
Wayne
Dwayne
Dwight
Liam
Harley (good Goddess, one of my classmates has an ex called this *shudder*)
Harry
Sam
Jerry
Tyler
Taylor
Blaze
Blayre (okay, I made that one up for one of my scene kids, but it's a pretty stupid girly misspelling of Blair...)
Skyler
Caleb
Callum (don't get me wrong, I love both this and Connor, but they are kinda chavvy where I am)
Connor
Danny
Brayden (ewwww)
Kayden (ewwwwwww)
Aiden (eeeew)
Jayden (eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww)
Chance
Peyton/Payton
Dakota
Landon
Kyle
Jason
Preston (or any place that sounds like/is a town in England, actually. Preston, Kingston, London...they're all stupid, pretentious chav boy names)
Storm
Winter (though I'm guilty of liking this on a boy, too)
Shane
Troy

Can you tell I've been researching crappy chav names?

Also, an excellent site is www.chavscum.com, where you can create your own baby names. It's pretty good.
Er, don't. They're selling it, sadly enough. The bit's no longer there.

A random website I've dropped in on says:
Orlando
Benson
Lance
Sidney
Wesley
and Jayson

...and Alfie and Darren are apparently chav names, too. Poor nephew.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2008 February 14, 19:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of these Chav type names are fairly common, boring names in the US. Danny, Kyle, Jason, Sam, Ryan and Lee? Those are pretty standard names. And while Aiden is uncommon, it is an actual boy's name, and not something made up.

I'm thinking I still don't get what a Chav is. Someone pretentious? Is it a "new money" type thing? People in the middle class who follow stupid trends? Because it doesn't seem to fit with illiterate redneck/trailer-trash very well.

Aiden/Aidan:
http://www.behindthename.com/name/aidan
http://www.behindthename.com/name/aodha10n

Is it an Irish thing?

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2008 February 15, 00:44:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of those names are fairly normal here, too, or at least they were when I was growing up.  I went to school in the 60s and 70s with people named Wayne, Lee, Sam, Ryan, Shane, and Danny.  I also wouldn't see Jerry, Jason, Harry or Troy as "chav" names - they're also names that were common when I was growing up, well before the emergence of chavs. 

I tend to think of chav names as new names or variant spellings of old names, rather than names I am familiar with from my childhood.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
PaganKitten
Asinine Airhead

ISTP

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2008 February 15, 01:54:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I went to school in the 60s and 70s with people named Wayne, {snip}

I don't know why I didn't think of "Wayne!"  I have an uncle named Wayne, and that seems to be a fairly common "trailer-trash" middle name around here.  (Think "Bubba Wayne," or somesuch, and you've got the idea)

Some names that actually come from people in my family:  Robert (or Bobby) Lee, David Allen, Lisa Marie, Hulda Mae

Other good names:  Tiffany, Stephanie, Lynn (as a first or middle name), Elizabeth (Liz or Lizzy/Lizzie).

Also, anything biblical:  Ezekial (Zeke), Matthew (Matt), Naomi, Joshua (Josh), Ezra, Esther, Amos, Jeremiah, etc.

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
There is no overkill. Only "open fire" and "I need to reload".
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2008 February 15, 11:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to get REALLY silly, you could use "Bubba Bo Bob."  ^_~

Any combination with the name "Bubba" results in a perfect trailer trash name.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Tchan
Little Bitch
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2008 February 15, 12:37:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wayne is a really, really chavvy name.

Aiden is NOT a real name. It's a variation of the name "Aidan". It's a Bad, Bad Thing to name your child Aiden/Ayden/Aydan/Aidyn. Exactly the reason why I put it there.

Chavs are mainly an England phenomenon. We have them over here (Jersey), but they shouldn't technically be called "chavs". They're called "neds" in Scotland. They're generally pretty nasty and uncouth, and stereotypically they go out "Happy Slapping", wearing Burberry--a chav's favourite thing is posh brands that they've stolen, that nobody else will touch with a barge pole--and tracksuits, the girls' hair (usually bottle blonde) pulled back into a "Croyden's facelift" and the boys with a baseball cap on their heads. Also stereotypically, they all have ASBOs (which is not true). If you watch an episode of Catherine Tate and her really annoying teenaged girl scenes, or Vicky Pollard scenes from Little Britain, you'll get an idea of the extremes of chav girls.
David Cameron, head of the Conservative party/Tories, calls them "Hoodies" for the fact that that's what they wear over their tracksuits, but I find that objectionable because I wear hoodies too and am most definitely not a chav!

Chavs are not actually synonymous with rednecks, but I guess they're pretty close to trailer trash.

ETA: Contrary to PaganKitten's post, Biblical names are most definitely not chavvy--in even the slightest. You will NEVER meet a chav with a Biblical name, because it suggests their parents were cultured. Even if they were born with a Biblical name, they will NOT go by it. EVER. They'll go by their surname.
But Tiffany and Lynn are very chavvy.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2008 February 15, 15:02:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wayne is a really, really chavvy name.

Also, along with Lee, the favourite name of serial killers.
Daniel Lee Corwin
Henry Lee Lucas
Robert Lee Yates, Jr.
Lee Boyd Malvo
Bruce Lee (not THAT one...)
Derrick Todd Lee
John Wayne Gacy
John Wayne Goble
John Wayne Glover
Elmer (or Elmar) Wayne Henley
Keith Wayne Jesperson
Patrick Wayne Kearney
Wayne B. Williams
Wayne Nance
Wayne Clifford Boden

Ray is another popular serial killer middle name.

Henry, Richard, David, Jeff and Robert are also popular, but are popular in general.

Among women, Mary/Marie, Cynthia/Cindy, Linda/Lynn, Terry/Theresa, Elizabeth/Lizzie, Caroline/Caril/Karla/Carine and Catherine/Kathy are common. Hey, Aileen Wuornos has a "lee" in her first name, too.

Another serial killer name trait is naming a boy something vaguely feminine. Ask Coral Eurene Watts.

Or childish, like "Billy (Ray)," "Bobby (Jo)," "Artie," or "Johnny".

Chavs are mainly an England phenomenon. We have them over here (Jersey), but they shouldn't technically be called "chavs". They're called "neds" in Scotland.

Right, for Non-Educated Delinquents. Smiley

Chavs are not actually synonymous with rednecks, but I guess they're pretty close to trailer trash.

Though I loathe the not-so-subtle racism of the term, they are akin to "wiggas" as well. In other words, Caucasians emulating the worst of "gangsta" culture, which is viewed as being mostly an African-American thing. Whereas the culture sprang up from the roots of poverty, desperation and defiance for The System, whites adopting it tend to be well-to-do suburban punks who truly have little to rebel against. Appropriating the slang and costuming and music of an oppressed group is like kicking them again while they are down.

Oh, Bros. It isn't yours to steal, you arseholes. It's you they are mad at, the WASPy middle-class, well-fed, orthodontically-enhanced, McMansion-dwelling, complacent, and educated folks--with expendable income from mom and dad and a new car on your 16th birthday--who get a free leg up in the world thanks only to benefits you were born with. "Bitches and Hos"? Wigga, please. You couldn't get laid if you were covered with twenties and thrown into the parlour of a brothel. "Fuck Da Police"? How does that have any relevance to your life, really? Did you roll through a stop sign? "Straight Outta Compton"? You'd piss yourselves running for your lives if you, by some chance, found yourself there. Hell, try driving through Yamacraw Village at night with your car doors unlocked, whitey. Let's see how "gangsta" and "down" and "street" you really are, with your "jailed" pants and untied shoes and baseball hat worn at a jaunty angle. "Eastside reprazent, yo?" Amirite?

Dumbasses. Srsly.

Both groups are insanely materialistic and misogynistic, that's the common denominator. They want the labels, the stuff, and some fake sense of big-swingin' dick-edness. What really kills me are the girls who go along with the Bro Ho schtick. It's like wanting to belong to a leper colony, and thus deliberately finding a way to infect yourself with leprosy. It's not a good plan. Knowhutimean?

ETA: Contrary to PaganKitten's post, Biblical names are most definitely not chavvy--in even the slightest.

I'd agree with this assessment. Biblical names also predate "chavviness" (and Bro-ness) by centuries. Obviously. Ditto names from Greek/Roman mythology.

Basically, if you're looking to be convincingly chavvy, spell everything wrong, and add a lot of apostrophes, Ys, Zs, Ks and Is where they do not go. Use adjectives, adverbs and nouns as names. Euphoria, Harmony, Clarity, Brook, Rain, Golden, Merrily, and so on. Then spell them wrong.

This is a good way to make up soap opera names. My joke is that they all have to be parts of nature, like topographical features, plants, weather events or small, cute animals or insects. Brook, Cliff, Ridge, Lake, Savannah, Cricket, Sky, Breeze, Aspen, Laurel, Field, Meadow, Hill, Stormy, Dell, Misty, Windy, Sunny, Bracken, Ivy, Holly, Ledge, Fern, Crystal, River, Stone, Brick, Hawk, Rose, Violet, Lily, Daisy, Bay, Lark, Robin, Gale, Dusty, Loch, Moor, and so on. I don't watch "stories" and the only name I know for sure is a soap opera name is "Cricket," but I'd be amused to know how many of my guesses are correct. Also, if you are stumped for hippy names, this works for those, too. (Rainbow, Phoenix, Leaf, et cetera.) And the names ending in the "-y sound" are good for strippers. (Bunny, Bambi, Misty, Stormy, et cetera.)

And, hey, "Bambi" brings us, conversationally, full circle back to killers. How about that?

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2008 February 15, 19:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See I've also been thinking of Chav and keep coming up with Brittney Spears, white trash with money. That's how I've always seen them act. Also, white trash that acts above what they actually have, acting rich and pompous when they do not have the financial means to back it up, other then the Hollister clothes that they steal and the rest. Pompous little jack asses they are. I used to get slack from them in school, I never bought name brands, I had no desire to advertise for some clothing company all over me, I'd rather save my money and go to the thrift store.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2008 February 15, 20:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was thinking that the opposite of Bubba must be Gaylord.  Anyone named Gaylord has to have a mansion, a title and  at least three horses and a bloodhound.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2008 February 15, 20:49:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bubba's have bloodhounds, beagles and basset hounds. Gaylords may have greyhounds and for hunting Foxhounds, Setters and a few others that skip my mind at the moment.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2008 February 15, 22:48:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Gaylord can get away with any pure-bred dog except for a pit-bull and possibly a St. Bernhard.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2008 February 15, 23:05:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Gaylord can get away with any pure-bred dog except for a pit-bull and possibly a St. Bernhard.

True, I'm just saying that Bubba and Billy Bob have pure breeds as well, usually the three I've mentioned or a Catahoula. Someone that falls into the Billy Bob selection generally does not have pit-bulls, Doberman or rottweilers, those breeds are usually owned by said "wiggers", at least in my area, those are "status symbol" dogs.

Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2008 February 16, 13:54:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most of these Chav type names are fairly common, boring names in the US. Danny, Kyle, Jason, Sam, Ryan and Lee? Those are pretty standard names. And while Aiden is uncommon, it is an actual boy's name, and not something made up.

I'm thinking I still don't get what a Chav is. Someone pretentious? Is it a "new money" type thing? People in the middle class who follow stupid trends? Because it doesn't seem to fit with illiterate redneck/trailer-trash very well.

Aiden/Aidan:
http://www.behindthename.com/name/aidan
http://www.behindthename.com/name/aodha10n

Is it an Irish thing?

It's Celtic.  My son's name is Aiden Bryce.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2008 February 16, 14:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the span of this entire thread you people have managed to insult my mother and quite a few of my friends and/or acquaintances.  All of whom are otherwise intelligent people.

So, fuck the whole lot of you.  Tongue
Tchan
Little Bitch
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2008 February 16, 16:02:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's okay, Trepie. I, myself, have managed to insult a load of my own friends in my list. It's okay.

(I least I didn't mention Indiana...wait, just did. Sorry, Indi, if you ever read this...)
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2008 February 16, 17:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the span of this entire thread you people have managed to insult my mother and quite a few of my friends and/or acquaintances.  All of whom are otherwise intelligent people.

Several of my relatives made my own lists. (Notably a cousin whose name is a misspelled variant of "merrily." Smiley)

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Tchan
Little Bitch
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2008 February 16, 17:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(Notably a cousin whose name is a misspelled variant of "merrily." Smiley)

Recently, over here, was a baby in the notices called "Merrillea" or "Merrilea" or some close variant (they called her Merry). That made me ill. Why do people think "Merrily" is a nice thing to name their baby, and not "Merry"? It doesn't actually fit their virtue noun quota, being that it's not a noun...
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2008 February 16, 22:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a pet peeve about neither here nor there names...
A while ago I saw a baby in the paper named Tristian.

Christian is a name.  Tristan is a name.  Tristian is not a name!
I wanted to complain to his parents, but since he was 9 monts old, and I read the name in his obituary, I decided to let the matter rest.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Ayslhyn
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2008 February 16, 22:26:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I have enough chavvy names for a lifetime of simming.

Thanks to one and all. My own appallingly chavvy username (for those who are interested) derives from a D&D character of mine. Yes I AM that much of a nerd. Goes back decades before these newfangled computer thingies.....eeeh back in the old days you made your own fun with pencils, paper and percentile dice.

You youngsters.....

Smiley

Tchan
Little Bitch
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2008 February 16, 23:26:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My own appallingly chavvy username (for those who are interested) derives from a D&D character of mine. Yes I AM that much of a nerd.

Would I be correct in the assumption that the generally-used spelling of your username is Aisling? That's one of my absolute favourite names. Wink My main story character is called Aisling (or rather, she was born with two boys' names, and named herself Aisling because one of the names she was called was Ashley and it fitted).
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2008 February 17, 03:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alva Hershey.
Bubba Yancey.

I knew both of them when I lived in Kentucky.
Pythia
Asinine Airhead

Just lurking

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2008 February 17, 17:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a few culled from where I work (a children's centre in a deprived area with a high chav count):

Brooklyn (male and female), Tyler, Logan, Harley, Taneysha, Talisha, Skye, Kianna, Taylor, Brandon-Lee, Denium (pronounced like the fabric, wtf his mother was thinking I don't know), Kyra, Bailey, Macauley, Malakai, Kai, Kyle, Destiny, Bonnie, Danielle, Mackenzie, Lorna, Shelbie and my all time favourite - Indigo Tosca  Roll Eyes
Ayslhyn
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2008 February 17, 18:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Believe it or not the "Ayslhyn" name was randomly diced up. There was this complicated letters-to-numbers random name generator that some clever bugger thought up. Most of the time it landed you with names like "Ssqittchmus" but just occasionally it did generate a decent name. So I diced it up,liked it and used it for a character who went on to become a ludicrously powerful magic-user. The character was male though. Go figure.

I'm now going to hide under my mac for being such a nerdile dweeb and making public admission of the origin of the name.

SmileySmileySmiley

« Last Edit: 2008 February 17, 19:01:36 by Ayslhyn » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: