More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 06:58:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wusses!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wusses!  (Read 190642 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wusses!
« on: 2005 July 15, 05:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As Strong Bad states in Email #94, "Email is like a prison. A prison with no walls. And no toilet!". And thus the stage is set for the next in crazy challenges.

Objective: Finish a complete sim lifecycle from birth to death of the first generation, on a lot that meets the above criteria: No walls. No toilets. You may create any adult or YA sim starting from Uni, or directly as an adult from CAS. You may create one or two adults at your option. They must be connected in some way on the family tree. No children: Children must be born naturally. Challenge ends when the founders and the last child of the founder(s) have died or are removed from play.

RULES:
1. No cheats except where specifically permitted. You are allowed to use any custom contents or FFS/Twojeffs hacks, but you may not utilize any of the functions to cheat. No magic mood refreshers. No grade adjusters. No free money. None of that. You may use move_objects or the debug cheat only to move or delete stuck objects and sims, or force errors on the same. You may not delete sims to refresh their moods. Examples of legal hacks include "No 20K Handout", "No Cheering", "Authorized Personnel Only", etc. Anything in "More Awesome Than You" is legal when used as directed.

2. No moving between lots unless required. Nobody who moves out without the use of No-20K-Handout may ever move back to the lot. If you move to a different lot as required by University or because your lot becomes bugged, the lot you move to must be a legal Email lot: No walls. No toilet.

3. No visiting community lots, unless they are legal email lots: No walls, no toilet.

4. You may use the college clock or lot debugger to pick a new aspirationally-relevant lifetime want of your choice, at the age transition, aspiration change, or upon the fulfillment of an existing lifetime want. If you fail to achieve it, you incur an additional penalty. You may only reroll your LTW at these specific times. If you choose not to, you forfeit the opportunity.

5. You may use the college clock to fast-forward the time on a Uni semester. You may not rewind or freeze it. You must still earn the grade points.

6. You may use any of the career or aspirational awards, but they must be paid for. You may not purchase them with hacked collections.

7. Any sim which moves off the lot (not to Uni) individually is removed from the challenge. Assess all failure penalties at time of departure, as if the sim had died of natural causes.

8. Time-sync must be maintained if anyone goes to Uni. You may play no more than 1 day on the main lot per year of Uni.

9. You may marry any townie or NPC. Playable sims may only be married if they were born naturally in game, and may only be married if your generation is equal to or greater than theirs. Nobody may marry a CAS(zero-generation) sim, a first-generation sim may only marry a first-generation sim(or townie/NPC). A second generation sim may marry a second or first generation sim, as well as a townie or NPC. A first generation sim may not marry a second generation sim. Only legitimate families are eligible: You may not marry anyone from a family who has used money or mood cheats.

10. You may never move anyone new in. New sims can only join the lot from marriage. Sims may return to the lot from Uni only if they did not receive a 20K handout.

11. You may not receive money from another lot outside of marriages. You may send money to other lots, but you may not receive any back.

12. NO SAVING AND RELOADING unless a bug occurs.

TERMINOLOGIES:
Controllable: Any sim that you can control and give orders to.
Playable: Any sim that is playable: A non-townie, non-NPC that lives on a playable lot or in the lotbin.

SCORING:

GENERAL:
-2000 points for every sim that removed from play by means other than death.
-1500 points for every controllable sim that dies due to factors within your control: No starving, no dying of standard diseases, no burning to death, no drowning, no being scared to death, etc.. Valid causes of death without penalty include the mysterious choking death, natural satelliting, and old age. The penalty applies even if you resurrect the sim, but not if you successfully plead with the Reaper. You may kill noncontrollables without penalty.
-500 points anytime a controllable sim has an accident.
-500 points anytime a playable sim(not necessarily a resident) has an accident at a party. Cumulative with above.
-250 points for every object taken by the repo man or police.
-150 points for every object successfully stolen by a burglar.
-150 points for every failed party. Cumulative with above.
-100 points for every time I am forced to insult you for your inept mismanagement if you share the story of an ongoing challenge.
-50 points for every therapist visit.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT:
Lifetime Achievement penalties are only assessed on death. Sims still alive at the conclusion of the challenge do not incur any of these penalties.
-500 points for dying of old age without a platinum tombstone.
-250 points for every sim that dies without achieving at least one lifetime want. Uni+ only!
-250 points for failing to achieve a lifetime want that you chose, regardless of whether it is the first one or not. Cumulative with above. Uni+ only!
-10 points for every skillpoint a sim fails to earn. All skills must be maximized!

ACHIEVEMENT - CHILDREN:
These penalties are not applicable for generation 0 (CAS).
-1000 points for every child taken by the SS. Penalty applied immediately on arrival of the SS.
-500 points for every teen that runs away. Penalty applied immediately.
-500 points if the police do not recover the runaway. Cumulative with above.
-500 points for every child that fails to enter private school. You may try as many times as you want without penalty. Penalty applied at end of child stage.
-200 points for every toddler skill unlearned. Penalties applied at end of toddler stage.
-200 points for failure to acquire the study skill. Penalty applied at end of child stage.
-150 points for every D or F report card. Penalty applied on return from school.
-100 points for every child that does not have an A+. Penalty applied at end of teen stage.
-10 points for every day of public school attended. Penalty applied immediately on boarding the school bus.

COLLEGE PREP (Uni Only!):
-300 points for failure to earn the Good Grades scholarship.
-250 points for every skill(cook, mech, cha, body, log, crea, clean) scholarship you fail to earn.
-150 points for failure to earn the dancing scholarship.
-100 points for failure to earn the career scholarship.

COLLEGE ITSELF (Uni Only!):
-500 points for failing to graduate Summa Cum Laude (4.0).
-250 points for failing to graduate Magna Cum Laude (?) or better. Cumulative.
-250 points for failing to graduate Cum Laude(?) or better. Cumulative.
-200 points for every academic probation.
-200 points for every failed attempt to join a Greek house. Joining a Greek house is not required, but failure is penalized!

AUTOMATIC LOSS CONDITIONS:
Automatically lose if everyone dies or is removed from play.
Automatically lose if you violate one of the rules.
Automatically lose if no sims are in play at the end of the challenge.
Automatically lose if any sim living on your lot uses a toilet.

Note: There are no positive points. Life doesn't work like that. Positive points are for wusses.
Successfully completing the challenge with a perfect score(0) entitles you to a coupon for a free breakfast at the Intergalactic House Of Waffles.
Disclaimer: There is no such place. Coupon is entirely useless.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 12, 02:47:07 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wuss
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 15, 13:59:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

11. You may not receive money from another lot outside of marriages. You may send money to other lots, but you may not receive any back.

I feel I have a good understanding of the spirit of the challenge, but a quick point of clarification - this is banning the money order and similar things correct? (for receiving)
How about inheritances? This new couple is very different from my last and are having to beat friends off with a stick (and fire, that servo with lazer beam eyes you've been teasing us with would be a help) and it's not likely I will play any of them to death when I'm all wrapped up in trying again for that elusive perfect score, but just in case...

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
YYZdnl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wusses!
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 15, 15:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

0 for 2 on my hunt for perfect score.  First the repoman then the loosing gold status upon entering the energizer.  Third time should be the charm.  I am starting to get a whole section of my neighborhood devoted to the email challenge
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wusses!
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 15, 16:23:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

First challenge -500 founders wife died, the rest of them are still ok..she is the only one that had an accident os far.
Second and third family still at perfect score.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
Jaayar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 15, 18:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Started my second time on the challenge. I made a perfect 0 last time, but this time it's going to be a different story I think.
Mr Nate (Uri to his friends) started life as a college student. He got through that OK and has now moved into a nice little corral in Strangetown where he is searching for a perfectly sloppy but outgoing wife.

When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
Re: The Email Challenge...Because Those Other Challenges Are Boring And For Wuss
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 15, 18:12:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are we allowed to run two challenge households at the same time and have their kids get married?

I checked the rules, and it doesn't seem to break any of them, but all the speaking of challenges implies that only one is run at a time. Not sure.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 15, 18:45:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, of course, in grand Sims tradition, the story of an ongoing not-entirely-serious stab at the Email Challenge. I'm not posting the serious one, because I'm too lazy to take pictures of something that I don't find terribly funny.
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=42164
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 15, 20:59:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are we allowed to run two challenge households at the same time and have their kids get married?

I checked the rules, and it doesn't seem to break any of them, but all the speaking of challenges implies that only one is run at a time. Not sure.
Yes, this is legal.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 15, 21:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, of course, in grand Sims tradition, the story of an ongoing not-entirely-serious stab at the Email Challenge. I'm not posting the serious one, because I'm too lazy to take pictures of something that I don't find terribly funny.

Very entertaining!

I will rate u 5starz cuz ur story wuz 2 kewl!

MistressBoleyn
Asinine Airhead

la reine sans tete

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 16, 03:20:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm so glad you toted this challenge over here with you, Pescado!  I've had a lot of fun- and a bit of frustration- with it.  Any plans brewing in that brilliantly fiendish mind of yours for a follow-up?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 16, 05:23:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And, of course, in grand Sims tradition, the story of an ongoing not-entirely-serious stab at the Email Challenge.

Yes, t'was very entertaining...glad to see I'm not the only person thinking some of those townies need a whoopin'

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 16, 13:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Official restart has commenced. I redid John Waterloo and moved him onto a lot in Strangetown. Stats: Knowledge. Gemini. 0 Neat/10 Outgoing/10 Active/2 Playful/3 Nice. LTW=Chief of Staff.

He just married townie Margaret Howe. Stats: Fortune. Scorpio. 6 Neat/5 Outgoing/8 Active/3 Playful/3 Nice. LTW=Criminal Mastermind. She came with a fair assortment of skills and was in the Business Career. She brought $18K and the Execuputter with her. Woohoo!

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 16, 14:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may be interested in the LTW tweak, also. It makes LTWs make more sense relative to the sim in question. Smiley

SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 16, 23:41:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds like a really mind-expanding challenge, an opportunity to find out what's really essential to these little electronic critters.  We're doing Sims Au Naturel here.

Does the "no walls" rule mean that you can't use things that normally must be placed against walls, such as sinks, showers, pictures, mirrors, or wall phones?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 16, 23:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, that's what it means, although most showers do not need to be placed against walls, there's a desk phone, and there are floor mirror options.

SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 17, 04:33:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't figured out how to start this one off with college students yet.  Newly created students won't be able to afford even an empty lot, so I tried creating a pottyless, wallless dorm for them.  That worked, sort of, until it came time for the bills to show up.

Since there are no walls, there are no dorm doors, and hence to townies in the dorm.  When the bills are supposed to show up, there's a divide-by-zero error, and no bills.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 17, 05:08:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is the error fatal enough to break your game, or are there just no bills? It kinda doesn't make any sense to waste someone's time sending them a bill for $0, after all.

reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 17, 05:16:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may be interested in the LTW tweak, also. It makes LTWs make more sense relative to the sim in question. Smiley

I am interested in it. How and when would we be allowed to use it in the challenge? I guess I haven't been clear on this. I know we can reroll on the teen transition and after completing Sophomore year in college. Can newly created or newly acquired Sims be rerolled? I know you said I could do it with that 6 Grandchildren want, but wasn't sure if that was just a special circumstance.

The Waterloos just gave birth to twin boys. Yippee-Kai-Yay!
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 17, 05:19:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, it's not fatal.  It's just a way to dodge having to pay for expenses while living at college.  Maybe that makes up for not having a potty.  Smiley

I think we've just learned that the game calculates the expenses for a dorm based on the number of claimed dorm doors.  It has a brief tantrum about the divide-by-zero error and then everything continues happily as before.

On the other hand, a dorm comes with a lot of elaborate and expensive stuff that otherwise they'd have to pay for themselves or find on a community lot.

It's still fun to play.  So far, except for the inevitable interruptions when the sims are getting desparate about toilets, they're doing quite well.  I gave these sims only 2 personality points for neatness, hoping they would not mind using the front lawn as their loo, but they're still upset about having accidents.
themaltesebippy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 July 17, 05:22:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Newly created students won't be able to afford even an empty lot

Did you try the 2x2 lot from MTS2?  I have one in my town and it think it's only 342 simoleans.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 July 17, 05:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's still fun to play.  So far, except for the inevitable interruptions when the sims are getting desparate about toilets, they're doing quite well.  I gave these sims only 2 personality points for neatness, hoping they would not mind using the front lawn as their loo, but they're still upset about having accidents.
I thought the entire point was NOT to have accidents.

Jaayar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 July 17, 07:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Simshost, college is a breeze on this challenge, I've done it twice. Your sim has a walless looless dorm all to him/herself, a cook to make meals and no bills. So long as there is a handy bush on the front lawn, even a neat male will use it when directed to so long as he is outgoing enough. Females, of course are a bit more tricky. Aint that the truth.

I've temporarily given up on my second try at this challenge. Uri eventually found the perfect wife, but when their little boy became a toddler I discovered that the little brat had 10 neat points. So there is no way he is going to utilise the shower. Do I remember reading that little boys "use" money trees though? Can someone refresh my memory on that?

So meanwhile I have started again with another female. It's just not right that they are now allowed to pee on the bushes. I mean, come on, who hasn't peed behind a bush in her time?  Yes, I know about the animation thing. She is a knowledge sim whose LTW was to max 7 skills. I didn't bother to get a job for her, yet when she had maxed her skills, with 19 days to go to adulthood, she still had over 6,000 in the bank. Could probably have completed this quicker if I had hired a maid and gardener.
She has become very friendly with Don L and I think he might be just about perfect to father her offspring.

When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 July 17, 09:03:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought the entire point was NOT to have accidents.

I mean a potty-crisis kind of accident.  I didn't see anyway to avoid that, but then, I just now learned that the guys at least will use a bush if it's available.

Quote from: themaltesebippy
Did you try the 2x2 lot from MTS2?  I have one in my town and it think it's only 342 simoleans.

Oh!  Gotta have it!  I made my own 2x2 lot, but it's $445 in college town.  I wonder how they got it so cheap.

Quote from: Jaayar
It's just not right that they are now allowed to pee on the bushes. I mean, come on, who hasn't peed behind a bush in her time?

Too right!  I've done a lot of backpacking trips along the Pacific Coast Trail with the female of our species.  Invariably there's some concern about the lack of toilet facilities, but every one has quickly learned that it's not a big deal.  Admittedly the male plumbing is more convenient, but the lack of it is not a show-stopper.

For your amusement:  My name is Greg.  SimsHost is just one of my many crimes against normalcy.  Smiley

In other news: I got bored with the pottyless, wallless dorm by the end of the first semester.  By the time I'd convinced myself I could get them to ace their finals and be in a platinum mood, the novelty of forcing the simmies to wet their pants was long gone.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 July 17, 09:53:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tried this challenge twice and now feel utterly indaequate cos I haven't figured out a way to make a female sim who doesn't have accidents.  Huh

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
Jaayar
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 July 17, 10:34:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have tried this challenge twice and now feel utterly indaequate cos I haven't figured out a way to make a female sim who doesn't have accidents.  Huh

This feeling of inadequacy that you have is entirely understandable.
Try the energiser.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: