More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 10:01:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Graphics Question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Graphics Question  (Read 2156 times)
KinwatsaZ
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Graphics Question
« on: 2008 January 30, 00:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know if this is in the right place,  but I know the caliber of some of the folks on this board, so probably I will get a good answer. My tech and I have (two months since that computer broke down---probably due to SecurRom---) finally decided to outfit my game machine with new case and mobo.   I had a Radeon X850XT in the old case, but it won't work with the new mobo, since it needs an AGP slot.   My birthday is coming up and I am considering getting a PCIe graphics board for the new system, for better graphics support for the game.   I don't play any of those run, jump and shoot games,   just Sims,  but without an adequate graphics controller, you end up with flashing blue and red lights...and so on.   My OS is still going to be XP,  the new board has dual core, but can't be to sure yet of the clock speed.   And my monitor is only a year old,  but isn't digital...even though it is an LCD flatscreen.  Given all the above,   who can suggest a PCIe graphics controller board that will handle the Sims at least as well as the Radeon did.   I know some of the Nvidia boards have been causing crashes and it doesn't seem that issue has yet been resolved.   So I wish to avoid them.   Money isn't much of an issue, like I said my birthday loot will cover a good chunk of the expense.   I guess anything up to about a $400 board would be good.   Help?  Anyone?   Thanks,  K
MuertoElBarto
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Graphics Question
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 30, 01:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new Radeon HD 3870 X2, if as good as its hype, should be the best thing going right now.  Overkill for the Sims, though.  I haven't seen a price, but it should beat the best 8800 out there, at least for now.  You will likely need a VGA adapter, and I don't know if new cards still ship with them.  Plus, you'd need to check the power supply, any pricy card will likely force you to replace it (unless you already got one along with the case, processor & motherboard.)  If the Sims is your only interest, any of the HD 36XX or 38XX will cost less.  Consider paying more for memory, fill all the slots your mobo has, and if it accepts say, DDR2 800 & 1066, opt for the 1066.  You'll get more use out of the additonal memory on loading (lots,clothes shopping), and you still won't be looking at anything flashing blue.
« Last Edit: 2008 January 30, 01:58:08 by ViveElBarto » Logged
KinwatsaZ
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Graphics Question
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 30, 19:32:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the input.   It looks like it probably will be the 3870 (hope it will be available, guess they are in high demand.) My tech wants me to try with the Intel graphics on board,   but my processor is only going to be 1.6 per core,  dual core.   So I doubt it. 
All I can do is wait and see.  At long long last, I guess I will have my new hardware Friday.   What a messy trip this has been!   I now have four computers,   this old Win2K that I use for the internet, downloads mostly,   the old XP being renovated with mobo and case, and a brand new Vista machine that isn't going to get near Sims or much else, that I use for records, and finances. Of course, the fourth is my husbands machine used predominantly by him for e-mail and solitaire.  That one has had NO problems.   I won't even network these, after the problems I had with my game machine...with a suspected "intruder".   Someone was definitely sharing the system.    And my scanning programs never found a thing.    I also changed ISP's suspecting maybe it had something to do with roadrunner...some security issue there.    If it wasn't for Sims,   I would be tempted by now to just write checks and keep all my records on paper.     Angry              Thanks again for the help.  K
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: