More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:05:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How do I find this problem object with SimPE?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How do I find this problem object with SimPE?  (Read 4206 times)
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
How do I find this problem object with SimPE?
« on: 2008 January 24, 00:25:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, I've got a ton of downloads and CC. Not a surprise. I tend to go through and regularly throw away stuff I know I never use, especially if it's large.

But right now I seem to have a "problem child" if you will, and I can't figure out how to narrow it down in my search, because I have no idea what the object is, though I can locate it in-game.

There's something in my folder (I presume it's a Game Object, but it could have gotten stuffed elsewhere.) that, when I click on it in-game, it causes the game to immediately crash with the message box about "This program has crashed. The application will now close" with only the "ok" option. Afterwards, the game disappears and I'm back at the desktop.

The object has no thumbnail that I can see in the game (I've cleared my thumbnails twice, in vain) and obviously I can't click on it to see what it is. I only know that it's categorized as a Decorative/Sculpture, and that it costs 900 simoleons.

I ran the Folder Scanner of SimPE on my Game Objects folder, with the Health scanner active, and the only things that turned up with the red text (indicating potential issues) are all things I've been able to use in the game, (I even checked each item by opening the package details) things I recognize and have seen and been able to select in-game. So either the health scanner's not picking it up, or it's elsewhere.

I even scanned through my hacks folders, to see if maybe it's a borked hacked object, but again, the only things that came up with red text are things I have used without problems.

The problem I can see is, if it IS elsewhere, how do I figure out which one it is? The Health Scanner doesn't show me any details about the object, such as where it's categorized, or how much its catalogue price is.

I'm pretty sure that it's my only piece of CC that's a Sculpture that costs 900, but I can't seem to find any option to list the catalogue details of various objects so that I can single it out and remove it to see if that's the problem.

Is there a trick I don't know about? Obviously deleting the object in-game is out of the question -- I can't even select it without the game crashing, I can only mouse-over it.

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Introverted, Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving. Conclusion: I IS TOILET PAPER!
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: How do I find this problem object with SimPE?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 24, 00:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried a binary search to track down the item?

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 24, 01:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried a binary search to track down the item?

well, I was hoping for a faster way to deal with it. Like, a way of isolating at least all "sculptures" in SimPE so that I can conduct a modified form of that. I really don't want to do that for ALL my CC -- that will take forever.

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 24, 02:59:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy's download organizer can work (though it's bombed on my since compressorizing). It'll scan and you can move all decorative into a separate folder, then binary search just that folder. You'll probably find a shitload of orphan recolors, as well.

EDIT: Links are useful.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Shake
Asinine Airhead

Unawesome Abomination

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 24, 03:11:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, strict levels of organization are crucial to such problems before they ever happen. Like Object/Sculpture/*object* is the absolute best way to organize. Or Hack/*hack* . Just advising you.
staroverthebay
Nitwitted Nuisance

¯\(º_o)/¯ lol wut?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 24, 22:06:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Delphy's download organizer can work (though it's bombed on my since compressorizing). It'll scan and you can move all decorative into a separate folder, then binary search just that folder. You'll probably find a shitload of orphan recolors, as well.

EDIT: Links are useful.

Woot! Thanks, Zazazu! I was hoping for something like this!
* staroverthebay mashes the Thanks button

(LOL that makes my dog stare at the computer in interest!)

¯\(º_o)/¯ I dunno lol
YOUNG AND STUPID.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: