More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 17:37:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  System freezes when trying to open the game - is BV the cause?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: System freezes when trying to open the game - is BV the cause?  (Read 8382 times)
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
System freezes when trying to open the game - is BV the cause?
« on: 2008 January 17, 20:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been playing BV on a daily basis for about 2 weeks, and a few days ago a problem started which I think might be BV-related. I insert the disk and open the launcher, and click Play. The screen goes black, as it always does, but then freezes instead of turning blue and then opening the Sims 2 game. If I open the task manager I can't click on anything, so I have to force the system to shut down. I've had to do this 3 or 4 times before the game finally opens.

I thought it was something wrong with my computer, but I searched on google and found a thread on Mod the Sims2 where people are talking about the same problem I'm having, and saying it started with BV. I posted on BBS but the only response I got is that there's something wrong with a driver. It's true that I'd rather believe that it's BV than my computer, but can anyone confirm whether the game freezing before it's open is somehow caused by BV?

On Mod the Sims 2 they suggest bypassing the launcher, but I tried that and still had the problem.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: System freezes when trying to open the game - is BV the cause?
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 17, 20:52:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe try getting rid of the opening video, like in this thread?
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,10722.0.html

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 17, 20:57:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This could be related to any number of things.  What video card do you have?  What are your system specs?  What hacks are you running (i.e. have you deleted all your old hacks and installed only updated BV compatible hacks)?

Generally it is recommended to bypass the launcher.  All you have to do for that is to set up a desktop shortcut that points to the Sims2EP6.exe file, rather than to the launcher.

If you installed BV in a user account on your computer that is not an adminstrator account your problems may be associated with securom.  There is a stickie thread in the Podium on how to remove Securom.

Other than that, find out what your video card is and search for threads on that.  A number of people (especially those with various NVidia cards) have found that upgrading drivers has helped.

Tribulatio proxima est
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 17, 21:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This could be related to any number of things.  What video card do you have?  What are your system specs?  What hacks are you running (i.e. have you deleted all your old hacks and installed only updated BV compatible hacks)?

Generally it is recommended to bypass the launcher.  All you have to do for that is to set up a desktop shortcut that points to the Sims2EP6.exe file, rather than to the launcher.

If you installed BV in a user account on your computer that is not an adminstrator account your problems may be associated with securom.  There is a stickie thread in the Podium on how to remove Securom.

Other than that, find out what your video card is and search for threads on that.  A number of people (especially those with various NVidia cards) have found that upgrading drivers has helped.

My video card is ATI x1800. I did put the shortcut on my desktop but still had problems opening the game. I had some weird thing happen with all my computers last year when a tech support service accessed my computers remotely to fix a problem,and ever since then, all three computers behave as though I am not the administrator, even though I am logged in as administrator. Maybe if that is an issue with Securom, I will have to remove securom. I have not been able to do things like set up automatic updates or upload tv shows from tivo because of this problem, so maybe this is why I can't open the game. But if the problem is because of securom, why was it working fine for two weeks, and also a few months ago,when I first installed it?

So, I guess I can't believe that it's BV, but some issue specific to my computer. Thank you for your help.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 18, 02:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds to me almost like the tech service people put some sort of malware on your system.  What sort of service did you need and what did they allegedly fix/do?

If your computer is generally behaving oddly, you might want to do a data backup, reformat and reload.  That would take care of any malware issues at least and you would be sure of what was on the system.

Tribulatio proxima est
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 18, 15:08:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds to me almost like the tech service people put some sort of malware on your system.  What sort of service did you need and what did they allegedly fix/do?

If your computer is generally behaving oddly, you might want to do a data backup, reformat and reload.  That would take care of any malware issues at least and you would be sure of what was on the system.

I asked them to come to the house because we had a couple of computer issues I couldn't handle and also because our laptops had been networked yet we weren't able to print to the desktop pc. The guy came and spent about 2 hours trying to figure out why we couldn't print, and since they were charging me $100 an hour, after 2 hours I told him to stop. The company agreed to have someone access the computers remotely to see if they could find the problem. They installed something that allowed them to access the computers. The problem turned out to be a setting in Windows Live Onecare or whatever it's called, that did not allow the laptops to print to the desktop. Probably something I should have been able to figure out but it never occurred to me that it could be a setting of some kind. So after that, I could no longer get automatic updates because I was not the administrator (even though I am), and the other thing I described, about uploading content from tivo to the computer - I can do it if I turn off the firewall, though. I wrote to the company and spoke to a couple of people about what happened, but they never followed up. Back then I didn't realize the effect this was going to have. I guess I'm going to have to re-install the OS in them if I want to get back to normal

BTW, it was securom that caused the problem with the game. I went to the BBS and saw that they have a tool to remove it from your game. I downloaded the tool and removed securom, and then my game opened on the first attempt.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 18, 22:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes, except for the fact that unless you are using a no-cd key, even if the removal tool removed it, starting the game installed it again.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 18, 22:39:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It certainly does not sound like a viable long term situation (I know I wouldn't be able to stand it), not being able to properly exercise administrator rights.  I would suggest this is untenable.

Tribulatio proxima est
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 January 19, 02:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yes, except for the fact that unless you are using a no-cd key, even if the removal tool removed it, starting the game installed it again.

Since removing securom I have opened the game twice so far and no problem. I thought it was only if you re-installed the game that you got securom again.
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 January 19, 02:28:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It certainly does not sound like a viable long term situation (I know I wouldn't be able to stand it), not being able to properly exercise administrator rights.  I would suggest this is untenable.

I agree, and although I still do not fully understand what I can do with administrator rights, running into this third and worst problem is enough to make me do something about it.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 January 19, 02:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since removing securom I have opened the game twice so far and no problem. I thought it was only if you re-installed the game that you got securom again.

Nope, it's in the exe. It's when on a non-admin account that it installs on game install, on an admin account it will install when you run the game from it's own exe.
What it's done for you, I have no idea, seeing as your computer seems to be confused about who you are.

snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 January 19, 15:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, it's in the exe. It's when on a non-admin account that it installs on game install, on an admin account it will install when you run the game from it's own exe.
What it's done for you, I have no idea, seeing as your computer seems to be confused about who you are.

Since my account seems not to be recognized as an admin account, I guess I'm fooling the exe.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 January 19, 16:54:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Clarification: it will attempt to install from the .exe regardless of which type of account you're using. The thing installed during a non-admin installation is just so that SecuROM can get admin access so it can install itself later (it might install itself there and then as well, but the key thing is that it installs a module that allows it to reinstall itself from the .exe even if the .exe is run without admin access).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 January 19, 18:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basically, it's a sneaky little bitch, and getting/using a no-CD crack will make your life easier regardless.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 January 19, 23:25:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basically, it's a sneaky little bitch, and getting/using a no-CD crack will make your life easier regardless.

So if I don't know how to get a no-CD crack, then the next best thing would be to follow the instructions on this site about removing securom entirely? I figured that the thing I got on BBS was  not as thorough as removing it altogether, but since I am barely functional in terms of understanding how computers work, I was intimidated by the instructions and thought I'd be better off with the thing on the BBS.
« Last Edit: 2008 January 20, 01:26:28 by snapdragon » Logged
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 January 20, 00:55:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I don't know how to get a no-CD crack, then the next best thing would be to follow the instructions on this site about removing securom entirely? I figured that that the thing I got on BBS was  not as thorough as removing it altogether, but since I am barely functional in terms of understanding how computers work, I was intimidated by the instructions and thought I'd be better off with the thing on the BBS.

Pointless.  SecuROM will just reinstall the next time you run BV.

You need to remove SecuROM entirely (as per instructions) to get it off your computer, AND you need to only run BV from a cracked exe.  There are instructions floating about on MATY on how to use a cracked exe, it's not hard.  BV is the first Sims game that I arrr'd, and the process was a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
snapdragon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 January 20, 01:28:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if I don't know how to get a no-CD crack, then the next best thing would be to follow the instructions on this site about removing securom entirely? I figured that that the thing I got on BBS was  not as thorough as removing it altogether, but since I am barely functional in terms of understanding how computers work, I was intimidated by the instructions and thought I'd be better off with the thing on the BBS.

Pointless.  SecuROM will just reinstall the next time you run BV.

You need to remove SecuROM entirely (as per instructions) to get it off your computer, AND you need to only run BV from a cracked exe.  There are instructions floating about on MATY on how to use a cracked exe, it's not hard.  BV is the first Sims game that I arrr'd, and the process was a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

Ok, thanks, I hadn't realized that I'd need to run it from a cracked .exe as well as remove securom from my system. I'll screw up my courage and make the attempt.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: