More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 22:30:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Database IS ready
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Database IS ready  (Read 49080 times)
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: Database IS ready
« Reply #25 on: 2005 October 23, 10:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hee hee.  My husband "caught" me with my notebook last night (new attempt to accumulate data in anticipation of this DB) and laughed so hard he practically threw his back out.

He thinks I'm a geek, can you imagine?   Huh  What makes him think that?  Isn't it perfectly normal to keep copious notes on a computer game when you can't be bothered to balance your RL checkbook?

Anyhoo, he'll not catch me so easily if it's on the computer.

Downloading now.  I have tons of Sims, so we'll see how far I get before I start pulling my pretty little curls out.

Big thanks!

---------

Edit:  I just downloaded and started to play. You are a Rock Star!  (There aren't too many times a database guy gets called a Rock Star, so run with it.  Grin)

This may be obvious as I proceed, but any thoughts on unique household names?  Real bear in my neighborhood that many households have the same name. I'm curious what other people are doing.  I guess I could make them numeric... March 1, March 2, March 3....

Also, killer report for me would be by age level.  I'm always keeping lists of who are the toddlers, children, teens, etc. as I like to grow my generations together.

Another report/thing to keep track of - who woo-hoo'd whom.  These Romance Sims are very demanding of variety.

Hee hee. Love this. Will take me forever to get the data in but, I just love all of the little records like scholorships earned etc. Smiley
« Last Edit: 2005 October 23, 11:03:22 by windy_moon » Logged

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2005 October 23, 15:07:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I started adding things in last night

Let me tell you this has become a new obssession for me lol

I have my sims running in one window and this in another so I can update as things the database keeps track of happens...oh it's quite a sad sight I'm sure Wink

It can be a bit time consuming. I'm sure when I go to my custom hood it will be a long drawn out process.  I don't mind really though b/c I am always writing things down anyways or keeping track of things in my head..it's nice to have an "all in one" place to put down info.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 October 23, 15:33:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*cackles maniacally*

Mwahahah! Yet another reason to get a laptop. Yeeees. And maybe a lab assistant too. <lightning crashes>

I've been thinking about putting togethor records for my sims for a while now, but never really got around to it, mainly because I would start with one format, then get annoyed and switch to something else. With the format already in front of me, I'm less distractable.

One random thing that might be useful would be if either it came with or one could download the sims that come with the game -- Pleasantview, Strangeville, Veronaville, and the standard townies. Would cut down on reduntant data entry somewhat. I'd be willing, once I get the hang of the program, to do/help with that. Don't really know how feasible it would be, but something to think about.

Equally random: It would be really, really nice if the game allowed us to edit existing household names. I suppose I could do it in SimPE, but it would still be a nifty feature.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 October 23, 16:42:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having fun playing with this dbase. 

I was a little concerned that I couldn't print a household report without getting all the households - then I discovered the search button Cheesy  Very nice search feature.

A couple of questions/issues :

* I've been using a genealogy program to keep track of my sims data, and I know I'm not the only one who does this - any chance of being able to import data in GEDCOM format?  Then I wouldn't have to retype the data that I've already got in the genealogy program.

* When a sim marries, and I then change the surname of one of the sims in the database, the children display the parent's new surname, however the spouse field doesn't update the name.  I find I have to delete the union then relink the couple.  (Eg if Mary Smith marries Bob Jones and becomes Mary Jones then Mary's children will correctly show their mother's name as Mary Jones, however Bob is still pointing to Mary Smith as his spouse, and I can't click to go to Mary's record by clicking in Bob's spouse field unless I put in a new link to Mary Jones).  I hope I've explained that without being too confusing.

That glitch aside, I really like this program.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
smcnic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 October 23, 19:43:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This may be obvious as I proceed, but any thoughts on unique household names?  Real bear in my neighborhood that many households have the same name. I'm curious what other people are doing.  I guess I could make them numeric... March 1, March 2, March 3....

Two suggestions.  What I've been doing is using the last name, plus the lot name.  One of my lots, for instance, is Fatabs Alpine Lodge, another is Fatabs 3 Burberry Lane.  Going numeric like you were thinking might actually be useful, though, if you wanted to keep track of what generation the household was at a glance. 

My other suggestion is, if most of your households contain a married couple, do use the last name and the maiden name.  Williams-Hart, Smith-Skyart, whatever.  Just a thought. Smiley
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2005 October 23, 22:45:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi Pegasys

I made a few notes last night as I entered my first characters, hope they're helpful.

I enter data in the new sim page. When I click on list view not all the data shows, even though it has already been entered. I didn't see gender, age or aspiration on the list view & had to re-enter the data.

If I altTab out to another program, then return to yr d'base, the dropdown list of the currently selected field will not work again until I select a different field, then return to the original field.

In the 'do you want to add a sim' dialogue box, the 'no' is on the left and the 'yes' on the right. I automatically kept clicking on 'no'. Don't know if it's counter-intuitive or me being kackhanded. Wink

Do you have Tab set up for field navigation? I tend to use it but tab seems to send me round and round a bit, doesn't go to the 'add children' subform very well, I keep ending up at the top of the form again.

Deleting a child is weird. I tried following the blue arrow, but could only change, not delete a child.

The neighbourhood name is not staying in the field as a default once selected, had to go back and fill it in a few times.

I'm not finding the date fields relevant at all.

The picture thumbnails are very small, they seem to be set to about 2cm square.

Extra data?
It would be good to store genetic character traits as well as in game ones. I would prefer to record numbers rather than just highlighting extreme character traits.

Gender preference would be good considering the game is supposedly using it now.

Is ghost? tickbox

Remaining days

Hope this is helpful. Smiley
witch

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2005 October 23, 22:50:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the 'do you want to add a sim' dialogue box, the 'no' is on the left and the 'yes' on the right. I automatically kept clicking on 'no'. Don't know if it's counter-intuitive or me being kackhanded. Wink

I had the same issue with it. Of course I was tired but....
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2005 October 23, 23:37:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the 'do you want to add a sim' dialogue box, the 'no' is on the left and the 'yes' on the right. I automatically kept clicking on 'no'. Don't know if it's counter-intuitive or me being kackhanded.

I had the same issue too.  Maybe it's because I'm left handed too?

I was using tab for field navigation as well.  When I was adding a partner, the marital status field didn't like the tab key for some reason - had to move my hand over to the mouse and select the marital status that way.

While I don't have nightlife yet (although I intend to get it soon), I think it would be neat if the physical data had a couple more categories beyond hair, eyes and skin tone - such as makeup, full face makeup, facial hair.  Then the database could be searched to find someone who matches a sims turn-ons or turn-offs.

Please don't think that I'm criticising your efforts or that I don't like the database - I love it.  I guess I'm just a little bit anal retentive in my own particular style.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 October 23, 23:56:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes same Pegasys, only constructive criticism is meant. I'm viewing myself as a beta tester helping you iron out the bugs. Smiley

joanm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2005 October 24, 01:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Phew, the initial test (alpha/beta/gamma?) version of the Sims2DB database is ready!   Smiley

Please go to http://www.sims2db.com/sims2dbv05.zip to download.

Unzip the files into a folder, and then click on the Sims2DB.EXE file to start the database.

I did this. But when I click on the Sims2DB.EXE file, nothing happens.  Have I missed something somewhere?  The download went fine, and so did the unzipping.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 October 24, 01:16:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know this sound silly, but did you double-click?

joanm
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 October 24, 01:47:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yup.  I double clicked.  I tried selecting it and hitting return too.   I'm currently blaming it on the otched patch installation and waiting for the SO to get home tomorrow.  When I install things with him here (even if he's asleep) everything works right.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 2005 October 24, 03:49:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks all for your comments! I appreciate all the feedback. I'm noting everything, and here's a quick reply to address some of your questions/suggestions:

- A report by age level will definitely be in the next release.
- I looked at the format of a Gedcom file. I can definitely set up something to import names, gender, and basic information about individuals from a Gedcom file. Importing the relationships would be much trickier. Not necessarily undoable, but I'd have to look into it further.
- Adding the default Pleasantview, Veronaville, etc. data is a good idea.
- I'm pretty sure having the surname updated in the Spouse relationship can be done. One quick question, though, for historical purposes might you want to keep the original name, for example Kennedy Cox is engaged to Jennifer Burb; the next entry is Kennedy Cox is married to Jennifer Cox; is it okay if the previous entry now becomes Kennedy Cox engaged to Jennifer Cox?
- Witch, about having to reenter the data which didn't show up in list view... Can you reproduce this? If so, can you tell me what sequence of steps produced this problem?
- To completely delete a child you have to delete the entire Sim record (by clicking on Delete Sim at the top of the screen), otherwise you can "unlink" the child by clicking on Add/Change Parents and blanking out the Parent fields... does this make sense?
- I'm not sure what you mean by "genetic" character traits, with record numbers. What are these record numbers?
- Just to let you know, clicking on the thumbnail picture will take you to a full-screen version of the picture.
- I will look into everything else you all have mentioned as well, such as the tabbing, dialog box order, etc.
- Joanm, I don't know what to say about nothing happening when you click on the Sims2DB.EXE file. Double-clicking should definitely start the database. Did you move the Sims2DB.EXE file from the folder with the other files? Does anything happen at all?

I'm appreciating all of your comments and viewing it all as constructive.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 October 24, 05:36:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downloaded and had a play - only 'problem', if it could be called that, is sometimes the database doesn't retain what's entered.  I think that's more to do with the method for entering though... just 'tabbing' resets the info to the default.
And sometimes there are issues with adding partners - I have to add both partners to the database before creating the partnership, otherwise it only appears on one sim's record.  You know how creating the partnership can create the second sim?  Well when it does that, their relationships panel is blank.  Adding the partnership to their record then leads to a duplicate record on the original sim - and working out which one is the 'duplicate' record just does not work!

I like it though, much more comprehensive than my Access database, which I think I've attached a screenshot of (ie I think I did it right Smiley )

EDIT: or not  Sad  too big by 22 measly kb.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 24, 05:42:13 by vecsta » Logged

<insert witty comment here>
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 October 24, 06:09:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I'm the only person who asked about importing GEDCOM files, there doesn't seem to be a high demand for it.  Since it's not a quick and easy addition to your database, it wouldn't be worth your time for you to add it just for one person.  Consider my request withdrawn.

pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 October 24, 11:01:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love your database. But one thing bothers me, I would like to hide some field that I do not use (mainly the "date" ones). And I would really like an option to manually save the data. I had it freezes once (no big deal and I was doing a lot of things at the same time on the computer) but I lost half an hour of work...
The reports are really handy and I really love it
Tanks a lot for your work
pioupiou
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 October 24, 20:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree with some of the others about it being more intuitive that Yes should be on the left, although I'm right handed.  I think this may be due to years of conditioning by Microsoft.  Undecided
knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2005 October 24, 20:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It looks great, I'll try it out more later, lots of printing coming up..and i can add my numbers thing to the side ( I keep track of a certain member of each family so that I rotate all familys 3 days.) The numbers tehy were talking about were for the genetics, with like a 1 for black hair and 4 for red,...stuff like that, then you can match sims up to get eh stuff you want, but some of the that could go in notes if necessary. or you could add a column to click or enter next to where you have hair and eye color displayed, just name it recesseive genes and have the same thing basically.

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 October 24, 20:38:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I thought witch was referring to, and at least what I would like to see, is a way to record peronality points such as 6 active/lazy, 4 sloppy/neat, 3 grouchy/nice, etc. instead of just a check box for each trait.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2005 October 24, 20:45:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I thought witch was referring to, and at least what I would like to see, is a way to record peronality points such as 6 active/lazy, 4 sloppy/neat, 3 grouchy/nice, etc. instead of just a check box for each trait.

I'd like to see this too, most of my Sims have 5 or 6 points in each trait so they don't really qualify for either personality type but I'd still like to keep track of what their personalities are.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 October 24, 20:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be good too Smiley

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Lynda
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: 2005 October 24, 21:11:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love it!

I have the same issue earlier reported where information isn't retained for spouses.  I've tried creating everyone separately and then linking, but for some families, this won't ever solve the problem.

I'd also prefer an alternative to "Date" (although I don't want that done away with - I can find uses for it).  I keep track of what Sim Day it is and only use the real date to keep track of when I last played a house.  I'd much rather be able to enter that Cassandra Sands was born on Sim Day 13 and her sister born on Sim Day 15,  even if they're born on the same real-life date.

(I know I could do this through notes, but it would be nice to eventually have the ability to pull a report of all Sims born between Sim Days X and Y, etc.)
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 October 24, 21:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd like to see this too, most of my Sims have 5 or 6 points in each trait so they don't really qualify for either personality type but I'd still like to keep track of what their personalities are.

I agree. The current system is quick and easy but I didn't know what to do with my sims that had 5 points in a trait. I ended up leaving it blank.
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005 October 24, 22:19:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* I've been using a genealogy program to keep track of my sims data, and I know I'm not the only one who does this - any chance of being able to import data in GEDCOM format?  Then I wouldn't have to retype the data that I've already got in the genealogy program
Okay, I definately know what a GEDCOM file is, since I've been using Family Tree Maker longer than I've been Simming.  I'm kicking myself now that I never thought to use it for my Sims!!!!

Pegasys:  Great work you did, hon.  Smiley  I just skipped (yes, I skipped) over to Hubby and said, "Guess what?  Someone made a Family Tree Maker Program for the Sims!"  Hubby just put his head in his hands and groaned.  He knows that this is an unholy marriage of my two obessions, TS2 and Genealogy. 
twink
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005 October 25, 01:33:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Downloaded and I like it a lot....

I am always trying to figure out who is related and a spot on the family information page for siblings in addition to children, parents and spouses would help gather that information. Just a thought.

Great job and it looks like you really put a lot of time into the database.

Your Simming Friend,
Twink

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: