More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 19:37:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Need Help Removing File
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Need Help Removing File  (Read 9632 times)
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
Need Help Removing File
« on: 2008 January 09, 04:57:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was referred here from ts2.com because there was suppose to be a link on how to do this but I searched and searched and can't find it.  I need some help locating a file and deleting it.  I'm not even sure how it got in my game unless it was included in something I downloaded.  Anyhow...all of the words that are suppose to be in my game have been replaced with the f-word.  I ran the clean pack installer program and can find nothing.  I did a search and found nothing.  I need to get this out of my game because I have a 12 year old daughter who also plays the game.  Could someone please help me get this thing out of here?  Thanks in advance!

I have kids.  Nothing scares me anymore.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Need Help Removing File
« Reply #1 on: 2008 January 09, 05:29:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ugh. I recommend you remove the color from your font, it will not be appreciated here. I doubt that there is anyone who is going to tell you anything other then scan your downloads and teleport folder with clean installer. A mod or hack should be highlighted in red. Remove all of them until you can figure out which one is the problem. One way or the other, the fifty- fifty method will be needed. You can find a guide for that here.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 January 09, 05:39:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it even possible for a hack to change every word, in every text string, in an entire game?

* witch scowls in deep suspicion

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 09, 05:42:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it even possible for a hack to change every word, in every text string, in an entire game?

* witch scowls in deep suspicion

I doubt it, but I know that one existed that changed "wooHoo" to "fuck". I have no idea where I saw it. I just remember it existing and thinking that it was stupid. There is one at sexysims2 that changes it to "have sex".

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 09, 05:45:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think pandora sims stole it somewhere however I don't know where from

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 09, 05:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah but Carlynn states that every word in her/his game is replaced with the word fuck. Unless s/he just didn't explain it very well.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 09, 06:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That would be the file that is in there.  The woohoo to fuck one.  Sorry if I didn't describe it better.

I already did a scan with the clean pack installer and did that both with the hidden files showing and without.  I haven't found anything yet. 

Sorry about the colored text as well.

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 09, 07:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Use Clean Installer to scan your Downloads folder. Click on Type to sort the list by the type of file. Some files will have nothing in the Type field, and those are the ones you want to look at.

Click each of the files in Clean Installer. Chances are you will get a little "preview" of the text, like this (note that this is a different mod that does the same thing):

If this still doesn't help you find the file, isolate the files that have no "type" listed and open each one in SimPE. It shouldn't be very many files, since the Clean Installer recognizes most types of files, and you obviously don't need to open files that you know aren't the fuck-mod because they're clearly labeled as being a clothing or hair mesh or they're a hack you downloaded on purpose from a reliable source (like from this site).

Fail.
Soylent Sim
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 January 09, 08:38:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A few rules of thumb:

Avoid downloading lots when you don't know what's in them.  Especially until you've familiarized yourself with CPI and what it does.

If you have any files in your downloads folder that look like gibberish strings of text, they're usually okay to delete.  They're items that came with lots you downloaded.  You might end up deleting a piece of CC that you liked, but it's usually best to get your CC straight from the source.  Downloading indiscriminately can cause you to have hacks that cause unwanted behavior, or even ones that conflict and cause game problems.

Finally, if all else fails, it's pretty easy to remove all your hacks at once.   From your My Documents folder, go to EA Games and then The Sims 2.  You can then either go into the Downloads folder and delete unknown files, or if you're not sure what you want in there you can delete the whole Downloads folder.  Then you can either play just the base Maxis game, or else be more discriminating with what you download in the future.
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 January 09, 15:27:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could also go to the web page where you downloaded the file, here, assuming this is what you downloaded, re-download and unzip the files onto your desktop so you know the names of the files to look for.

From the looks of it, this came with a replacement wants.package. I hope you made a backup of the original.

ETA: The correct URL... must stop posting before properly caffeinated.
« Last Edit: 2008 January 09, 16:00:07 by lemonfresh » Logged

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2008 January 10, 02:22:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still can't find this file!  Not only did it change the woohoo to fuck but it changed other things.  Like it changed one thing to "be a pimp."  Now I really don't know what  I am looking for. 

Just for the record lemonfresh, I didn't download this file.  It just happened to show up. 

I didn't download any replacement wants files either.  I have no idea what this is.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 January 10, 02:50:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It may have been included with a house that you downloaded.  It's a good idea to only install lots using Clean Installer so that you can avoid installing any hacks that may have accidentally been packaged with the lot.

Sometimes hacks that come with downloaded lots end up in funny places - not necessarily in Downloads.  Try looking in your Teleport folder, it may be in there.

If it came with a downloaded lot, the name of the package file is probably some random-seeming collection of letters and numbers.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 January 10, 02:56:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd probably do a binary search at this point to try to indentify the problem file(s).

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 January 12, 10:27:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here is what I am noticing.  This is only happening in CAS when I go to choose the sim's aspiration.  It is not happening in game at all.  I still can't find anything which tells me that those particular files were just over-written.  So I ask this:  if I were to go and download the f-word mod (I think that is what it is called), install it and then un-install it, do you think that would fix the problem?  Or should I just do an complete un-install and re-install of my game files?

I removed the downloads folder and it still happens. 

Thanks again everyone for your help!

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 January 12, 11:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mods do not install themselves into your Program Files directory by themselves (except for CEP). If you are sure you did not install a mod into your Program Files directory, there is no reason to reinstall your game, and doing so will not solve the problem.

No, installing and then reinstalling the mod will not help. Your problem is that the mod probably snuck in with a house, which means it no longer has the original file name. However, finding the mod and looking at the installation instructions will help you figure out if it's the kind that you would have installed into Program Files or the kind that goes into Downloads.

After removing the Downloads folder, did you delete Groups.cache? Removing the Downloads folder but not deleting the file can mean that the game will continue to use the hacked code, because it has saved a copy of it. Do that first before you reinstall.

Fail.
Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2008 January 13, 05:59:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I deleted the cache files.  I even went as far as deleting the entire game folder (like it says to do in the book), and let the game reinstall it.

When I was talking about uninstalling and reinstalling, I meant the entire game.  Sorry I wasn't so specific.

This is driving me nuts!  Maybe I will just completely remove the game from my system, right down to the registry and reinstall it and all of my CC except any lots.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 January 13, 06:44:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The entire game folder. Like the entire sims2 folder in my documents? If that didn't get rid of it then someone installed that. I'd be asking your kid questions.

Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2008 January 13, 06:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The entire game folder. Like the entire sims2 folder in my documents? If that didn't get rid of it then someone installed that. I'd be asking your kid questions.

That would be the one.  I am going to try it again.  You may be right.  Where my 12 year old daughter wouldn't do this, my 17 year old son WOULD.

Carlynn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
SNP to blame...Alternative?
« Reply #18 on: 2008 January 22, 01:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled my games.  It turns out that the super nude patch installed the f-word mod, even though I chose NOT to install that part!  It installed it any way!  So now I am wondering, is there an ALTERNATIVE to the snp? 

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 January 22, 03:37:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you're ok with your kids seeing lots of nudity (and not Barbie-type) but not the F-word? Ok.....  Roll Eyes

Your cocktail would be Quaxi's censor remover (SimPE + change options to remove filter), Crammyboy's cock (available here) and the nudist hack (available here). For the other levels of debauchery, I'm not sure what to tell you. I wouldn't touch anything from Pandora Sims2 with a 20 foot pole. Most of their hacks are stolen from others and outdated.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: