More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 15:32:47

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The patch ruined my game - Now with pictures!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The patch ruined my game - Now with pictures!  (Read 18522 times)
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
The patch ruined my game - Now with pictures!
« on: 2005 October 21, 12:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK.
Since installing the damn patch I've started having problems with my game that I didn't have before such as;

- blank dialogue box when asking a sim what they do for a living (I know this was a prob for some folk before but I never experienced it til patching my game)
- my graphics are screwed. I mentioned in another thread that I'm having trouble with the walls/floors/sim created paintings/sim's faces spazzing out. Now the control panel keeps breaking up, and more bizarrely becoming entirely covered in 'skin' files. (If someone can tell me how to take a screenshot and post it I'll do so next time it happens).
- buying clothes is next to impossible as the panel showing the clothes keeps breaking up and streaking, and for some unkown reason some of the custom clothes show up as a kind of distorted black catsuit when on the clothing dummy. Also the young adult icon doesn't show up in the clothing panel on university lots. Basically body shop seems to be screwed.

Is there anything I can do to sort this out? I'm pretty sick of it. Especially as we put in a brand new graphics card (GRForce 6800 GT)a month or so ago. I'm currently playing with my graphics turned down below what they were before the new graphics card. Is this happening to anyone else?
« Last Edit: 2005 November 01, 14:38:03 by sonofajoiner » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: The patch ruined my game
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 21, 12:18:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

for some unkown reason some of the custom clothes show up as a kind of distorted black catsuit when on the clothing dummy.

I get that sometimes. I know there was an issue way back with clothing made from the pre-release bodyshop meshes that caused that. I started downloading a fair bit of stuff again and am seeing that again recently and not sure if it's related to the pre-release bodyshop meshes or not.

Also the young adult icon doesn't show up in the clothing panel on university lots. Basically body shop seems to be screwed.

Where are you running the bodyshop from? The one that came with the original game still exists, but each expansion also has one. If you have just University you want to run the one at this path: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\CSBin\TS2BodyShop.exe and if you have both University and Nightlife you want to run the one from this path: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\CSBin\TS2BodyShop.exe

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 21, 12:32:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure what you mean. Doesn't each expansion update the body shop location automatically? I've opened body shop independently of the game to see if that makes any difference.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 21, 12:39:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, each expansion installs another version of the bodyshop.

Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 21, 14:14:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My theory is that you have a hack installed that might conflict with the patch?  There were several things that the patch finally fixed that the modding community had already created hacks for months ago.  Didn't we need to remove some of those?  And I can't think of any to name right at the moment. 
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 21, 14:57:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It actually doesn't matter which bodyshop you run, as the registry overrides make sure only the last version (ie NL) is loaded.
You can launch NL by clicking the original sims2.exe.
vector
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 21, 15:18:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It actually doesn't matter which bodyshop you run, as the registry overrides make sure only the last version (ie NL) is loaded.
You can launch NL by clicking the original sims2.exe.

That wasn't the case for me - I was tearing my hair out back when University was released because Bodyshop decided it didn't want to work properly anymore - I'd only have something like three items of clothing in each category (three everyday adult female outfits, one adult male undies, three elder male everyday etc). Custom clothes wouldn't load, although custom makeup and hair etc would, and even most of the maxis stuff was invisible. Pain in the ass, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was broken. Eventually I discovered another version of Bodyshop in my University directory and used that instead - and it all worked perfectly again.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 21, 17:29:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, the Nightlife shortcut to BodyShop should be used, not the old one.  Even so I'm not so sure this sounds like it's related to that.

One thing I've noticed is that installing expansions, patching, etc. tends to like to change graphic settings so since this seems to be a graphics problem I'd check those.

The only time I had a problem even remotely similar to this one was with a house in the neighborhood view.  Every time I would get that house on the screen to where I could even barely see it, the graphics would start going wonky, sort of like the house was a beacon and the distorted graphics were lights panning out from it.  I'm still clueless as to what that was all about and finally dozed the house because nothing I did would fix it.

Foxybaby
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 21, 18:50:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason i got the "jump Bug". Teens would reset in mid make out, kids would jump off chess board leaving books on seat......................., I had to take it out (well had to re-install)-It was fine without it-so I'll not bother with it
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 21, 19:36:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Foxybaby, are you playing with any mods?  After installing NL I went and got an updated mod for one particular thing.  It had problems causing my sims to jump out of many of their interactions: toilet, phone, dining, etc.  Mostly I'd rather blame the game than the high quality mods the users create, but once in a while it seems something's a bit wonky. Smiley

sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 21, 20:11:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and catch screenshot of the funky control panel malarkey next time I play. Also whilst playing last night I too seemed to be encountering the dreaded Jump Bug again, but I had been mucking about with the mailboxes on various lots so that may have been responsible for that. I reckon I'm gonna remove all my mods and see if that makes any difference. The graphics problem means the game is virtually unplayable at the moment. But it's all a massive pain in the arse really, and I am rapidly losing interest in the bloody game.
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 21, 20:35:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The graphics problem means the game is virtually unplayable at the moment. But it's all a massive pain in the arse really, and I am rapidly losing interest in the bloody game.

I truly feel for you because I know how frustrating that is.  A while back I ended up upgrading my graphics card because with the one I had I couldn't get a driver that would work with both TS2 and SC4.  My old card ran SC4 just fine but wouldn't run TS2 right so I updated the driver.  Then it would run TS2 and not SC4.  Then after I put in my new card and installed its drivers, both games had graphics that worked, but it lowered a bunch of the graphics settings in TS2, with no option for putting them back up!

kaarinah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 21, 22:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a problem with graphics breaking up when I had upgraded my computer. It was caused by overheating of the graphic card.

I don't know if it is the same as your problem, for me it would look like the pixels had been moved around. In the end I got coloured stripes all over the monitor. Replacing the fan on the graphic card and adding chassi fans did the trick.
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 22, 03:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aah, now, there is a little problem with the fan (too old/noisy/other half keeps fiddling with it and making it worse). Could be it. The graphics problem you describe sounds similar. One thing I don't understand though is how skin bmp files (? I'm not too good with tech terms) end up all over the control panel. I'm still working on getting a screenshot of it. It's really very weird.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 22, 05:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a problem with graphics breaking up when I had upgraded my computer. It was caused by overheating of the graphic card.

I don't know if it is the same as your problem, for me it would look like the pixels had been moved around. In the end I got coloured stripes all over the monitor. Replacing the fan on the graphic card and adding chassi fans did the trick.
I had an overheat problem a while back and as anyonr knows an overheated pc wreaks havoc with graphis in my case the game wa suddenly swaying back and forht like ocean waves. so I sshut down the game and shut pc down and spring cleaned my computer. removed dust bunnies from my clean freak computer . hooked my computer  back  up rebooted and went online and downloaded speedfan. My pc now maxes out at 106 F. with HDO temp maxing at 94 degrees F. when the PC gets to much dust in it speedfan lets me know in a hurry when I see HDO temps above 100 . I know its time to spring clean again. speedfan is effective at regulating case fan speeds and is totally free.  my main fan whirs away when the PC is actively being used at 3500 rpms  and more depending on what Im doing at the time it slows  the fans down when the PC is in Idle mode as well. I have noticed that The Sims 2 games heat up the pc in a hurry  but even with that being said the max temp Ive seen is 108 with hdo reading at 97 and thats after literaly 12+ hours of playing the Sims2 nightlife

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 01, 13:18:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have finally taken some pictures/screenshots of some of the graphics problems Im having. And despite showing up fine in game, for some reason the pictures are not showing up in the actual storytelling folder. So Ive collected together a few examples and packaged them as a story to the exchange. Itd be much appreciated if someone could maybe take a look and hazard a quess as to wtf is going on. If I cant get it sorted out Im going to give up altogether!

Link

Edit:

This is what I mean about the control panel spazzing out anyhow. If you look closely you can clearly make out teeth, eyes, ears and nostrils. Clicking on the 3 dots and back again usually corrects it. Weird though.

« Last Edit: 2005 November 01, 14:36:42 by sonofajoiner » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: The patch ruined my game - Now with pictures!
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 01, 14:55:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say it's either a video card/driver issue or else some corrupted install files. Have you tried backing up your neighborhoods and doing a reinstall? I know it's a pain in the ass but sometimes it does fix things.

If that doesn't work, try different versions of drivers for your video card. If you already have the latest, see if you can find an archive with some older versions of the video driver. In some cases older versions actually work better for some strange reason because they tweaked something that a particular game doesn't like in newer versions.

Try searching around too like big sites like MTS2, The Exchange, TSR and try different keywords to see if you can locate someone with the same problem and maybe they'll tell what they did to solve it. Also you could try large boards based around your video card manufactuer (ATI and Nivida have loads of fanboys  Roll Eyes ) and search those boards for "sims" or "Sims 2" and see if anyone else mentions the problem. It might be something particular to your card and/or driver version.  Undecided

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 01, 15:24:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's pretty cool, though. To think that you have literal skins in your UI "skin" textures.  Cheesy

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 01, 15:43:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whoa, that is bizarre! Your "storybook" cracked me up. I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing. "suddenly the boys have stopped calling"! I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard at that one. And "meet random skin"...

But, as for the problem goes, I agree with Motoki. Check the forums for your video card. I've had to consult those forums many times, with less-interesting problems than yours, of course...
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 01, 16:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am sorry about your game, but that is just hilarious.
Have you tried loading up your game without the download folder (yeah, I know your sims will be butt-ugly but maybe they will actually have a face...)

INTJ
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 01, 17:07:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am sorry about your game, but that is just hilarious.
Have you tried loading up your game without the download folder (yeah, I know your sims will be butt-ugly but maybe they will actually have a face...)
I finally stopped laughing long enough to post. I also would look in the error log and easy Info at lest easy info can pinpoint  you to the spes the game is currently reading ie get new drivers etc for the graphics card.

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 01, 18:46:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the suggestions folks. And glad you liked the story. I thought the mildly humorous approach would work better than using the torrent of expletives I originally planned.
The weird thing though is the game had been playing relatively ok (as far as TS2 goes ie a minimum of weirdo graphics thing) until I patched it. I'll definitely ask around the forums you mentioned but I cant work out why updating or rolling back drivers would affect the craziness with the control panel. Huh Ive had all kinds of other freaky stuff happen to my game since patching it (blank thought bubbles, blank message boxes, can't ask anyone what they do for a living etc etc....) And there would definitely appear to be some issues with body shop.
Bangelnuts, what's easy info? And where would a computer retard like myself stumble across such a thing as an error log? Embarrassed
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 01, 19:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can find error logs in your my documents/ea games/the sims 2/logs folder
 EZ info will be in your program list. EA Games and the Nightlife. You'll see EZ info listed first, I think. Click on it and it will do it's thing.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 01, 19:02:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more thing...have you tried dxdiag?
sonofajoiner
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 November 01, 19:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One more thing...have you tried dxdiag?

May I refer you to my earlier 'retarded' comment  Grin.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: