More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 17:15:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  holy resource vacuum batman!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: holy resource vacuum batman!  (Read 5056 times)
lasciel
Asinine Airhead

scruffy looking nerf herder

View Profile
holy resource vacuum batman!
« on: 2007 December 16, 15:59:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

all of a sudden today I've noticed that my game is grinding big-time on my computer...the last time I played it a few days ago, the maximum memory usage it would take was roughly 325k and my CPU would be at about 65-75%...I don't play with the graphics turned right up or anything like that, but when I loaded up this time I noticed that my CPU is running at 100% consistently and the memory usage for the game is running MUCH higher at roughly 450k-475k (which is making it so sluggish it's practically unplayable).

I know that resources differ from computer to computer so for comparison, a firefox window that I've had open for some 5+ hours at a time will tend to run at 115-150k memory usage and hover at around 5-10% CPU. I have all the EPs and SPs installed, I'm running windows XP on an Intel Celeron 2.8 gig with 2 gig DDR2 ram - which ordinarily suits the game fine. I haven't installed any new programs either and the rest of my computer's background tasks are all operating as normal for my computer...

anyone have any ideas for what could have suddenly caused the game to become a resource black hole and have any idea of how I could fix it? I haven't downloaded or added any custom content since the last time I played and I don't have all that much custom content at all because I recently cleaned out my downloads folder completely and started my neighbourhoods from scratch...

phasmatic sims
"Is it anything like how people in glass houses sink ships? Or a penny saved is worth two in the bush, isn't it? Oh, and don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen." - Immy
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: holy resource vacuum batman!
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 17, 16:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It may not be the game, as such, just something else that's running in the background that becomes apparent while you're playing the game.  I'd do a long search for a virus or spyware.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
lasciel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 18, 08:42:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It may not be the game, as such, just something else that's running in the background that becomes apparent while you're playing the game.  I'd do a long search for a virus or spyware.

I've tried that today, did a big virus scan and everything came up clean, spyware was the same way. Undecided I've even tried disabling background tasks because I know that Nortons can be a resource hog when it updates, but it's definitely the game that is sucking the resources....I opened up my system info while I had the game running to check it, and the CPU is flicking constantly around 90+ in the field for the game's process.

phasmatic sims
"Is it anything like how people in glass houses sink ships? Or a penny saved is worth two in the bush, isn't it? Oh, and don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen." - Immy
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 23, 04:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, do you have Auto patch enabled on your game? Do you have BV? Do you have it firewalled and made sure that the game is not trying to access the Internet?

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
lasciel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 25, 06:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, do you have Auto patch enabled on your game? Do you have BV? Do you have it firewalled and made sure that the game is not trying to access the Internet?

I have the patched BV version with the fairlight crack to bypass securom, I have auto-patch disabled, it's firewalled and not attempting to access the net at all.

eta: bodyshop AND the game itself now gets a "the application has crashed and will terminate" error immediately when I try and run it...for some reason my game seems to be choosing to die a horrible death.
« Last Edit: 2007 December 25, 13:49:55 by lasciel » Logged

phasmatic sims
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 27, 06:01:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I might be wrong, but I think Fairlight's crack is only for unpatched games. This could be your problem.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 27, 07:07:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fairlight did release the patched version of the crack.
Nec
Malodorous Moron

I have no sense of humor.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 27, 09:51:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reinstall BV without the patch and use YASU without a cracked exe. The patch is worthless anyway.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 27, 19:15:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reinstall BV without the patch and use YASU without a cracked exe. The patch is worthless anyway.
If you use it without a cracked exe you will get Securom anyway. I should know. It's why I had it.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
lasciel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 28, 06:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you use it without a cracked exe you will get Securom anyway. I should know. It's why I had it.

yeah, I patched and cracked immediately so that I could avoid getting securom.

I think I'm just gonna have to do a clean reinstall and gradually reintroduce downloads back into the game...it's been taken in a BFBVFS for now.

phasmatic sims
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: