More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 10:14:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Frequently Freezing Lot
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Frequently Freezing Lot  (Read 4174 times)
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Frequently Freezing Lot
« on: 2007 December 23, 18:07:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have one lot that keeps freezing. It's happened three times now. No error message, no crash notice, it just stops. It's a 5x5 lot, with barely anything on it. I can't think of anything that could be causing it.

Any advice on random freezes? Huh
Hecubus
Nitwitted Nuisance

That's Numberwang!

View Profile WWW
Re: Frequently Freezing Lot
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 23, 18:38:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fix the central heating?

Grin

Seriously though, have you got something on that lot you don't have anywhere else? I've found that pesky bits of custom content will freeze a lot for no apparent reason. What does activating the Lot Debugger do?

Cheezserver Fund: 27-Sep: $2518 We made out goal - WOOT!

I think one of the things that keeps a person sane is healthy skepticism about what you believe. Every now and then enjoy a conversation with an inner voice that says, "You're full of shit again." —Stewart Brand
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 23, 19:32:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A lot debugger is present on the lot, but I can't click anything once it's frozen. The only things on this lot that are different are the weeds the treasure holes.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 23, 21:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I now blame it on Numenor's coal stove. The freezing has spread.
Aner-Dyfan
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 23, 22:50:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it completely freeze? Have you tested for a long time (within reason) I say this cause in my custom hood I had a load of things ported from the base hoods for some reason the first load of the lot the game locks but after a few minutes it recovers. But after exiting the lot and trying again everything worked fine. I've noticed small occurances of this happening with other lots in my other hoods however I've not tried a huge lot yet.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 23, 22:57:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was certainly patient with the game. These lock ups weren't on the first load up, either. They seem to be occuring at random times without rhyme or reason.
Ennarys
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 04, 03:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I now blame it on Numenor's coal stove. The freezing has spread.

I have had the coal stove for some time and it hasn't caused problems like that in my game. I hope that helps the debugging proccess a bit.

Your ears hear but you don't listen,
Your eyes look but you don't see,
You complain about things gone wrong,
And then put the blame upon me.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 04, 04:47:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was certainly patient with the game. These lock ups weren't on the first load up, either. They seem to be occuring at random times without rhyme or reason.

This has been happening to several of my lots for a while now. I have yet to figure out the reason why either since there aren't any error logs or messages.

(Not a very helpful post, I know.)

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 January 04, 15:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have had the coal stove for some time and it hasn't caused problems like that in my game. I hope that helps the debugging proccess a bit.

I have removed the stove from all of my lots, and the freezes have stopped. Not sure why it's affecting me and not you.  Undecided
ReneeFox
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 January 05, 03:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tell ya'.  There are a lot of reasons for lots freezing/crashing with custom content in them.  I find the larger the lot, the more frequently this occurs.  I've also been fighting with EA forever about a problem with the game either writing illegal/incorrect instructions to graphics cards with DirectX, or mishandling older custom content.  EA won't verify either, they blame nVidia who says there is a memory leak and BV asks for the driver-version in the wrong way, but it took too much energy to fight them when this problem got out-of-hand with Pets. I had to threaten them with negative publicity, so nVidia helped EA out and created Beta 162.18 during Seasons.  When BV came out, this problem was alive and well all over again  Angry, and now ATI-users have problems but less often than nVidia-users.  I have to use boolprop useshaders off to play without all lots crashing within 5 minutes, and that takes away seeing lots of details in the game.  Some of my lots don't crash at all, but the commonality with the ones that do is that they are large, and have a fair amount of custom content.  I know it's not my CC, because I know what I've added since Seasons, and 100% worked perfectly fine after the 162.18 nVidia patch. Since I practically got the crap beaten out of me by EA, and ended up shunned by the Sr. Developer, I'll not tackle them alone again. So, if only 1 lot is doing this, most likely it is a CC object (or hack that isn't working correctly). My guess is the all-famous graphics problem caused by this game which affects previously-working CC, and nobody knows what it really is!  Sad
« Last Edit: 2008 January 05, 03:51:54 by ReneeFox » Logged

Please don't Delete Me 'cause I don't post much in the Forum!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: