More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:10:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  The Bowels of Trogdor
| |-+  The Small Intestines of Trogdor
| | |-+  Custom globals
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Custom globals  (Read 13083 times)
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Custom globals
« on: 2007 December 14, 11:08:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just wanted to ask Pescado and other hackers here if they have created new custom globals (BHAVs and other resources) and what range they have used.  This is probably as important to note as keeping the GUIDs unique Smiley

I have started using the range 0x0900 for BHAVs

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Custom globals
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 14, 11:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nein. Custom globals is something I avoid at all cost. My preferred method is to use RTBN 2 or 3 to invoke code on a control object by BHAV using a Global RTBN name instead. Certain versions of the game engine (NL is a known culprit) will randomly go down in flames if you even mention high-numbered globals, whether or not they exist. You don't even have to run them, the mere MENTION of it anywhere in the code, even if it is never, ever, invoked, may send the entire game down in flames, CTD/BSOD style. Extremely unstable engine.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 14, 11:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it didn't have that effect on my users fortunately, or on Jase's (it just kills kittens)  Smiley   RTBN doesn't work too well in a test tree.  Glad to hear you avoid them though, it leaves me more numbers to pick from Cheesy

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 14, 11:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it didn't have that effect on my users fortunately, or on Jase's (it just kills kittens)  Smiley
RTBN works fine in a test tree. The entire "Plugin Social" runs on RTBNs in test and execution trees.

RTBN doesn't work too well in a test tree.  Glad to hear you avoid them though, it leaves me more numbers to pick from Cheesy
Help yourself. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 15, 05:23:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ouch. I wouldn't use custom globals again. Debug hell. You're welcome to it Inge, but don't say we didn't warn you.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 15, 09:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

PJSE is a bit (lot) more helpful than it used to be about that.  At one time if you had someone's hacked globals or semis in your Downloads folder, you'd end up viewing or importing those - because of course they were overrides - and you would not know.  Now PJSE tells you you're viewing an override and offers you the chance to see and use the original instead.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 15, 16:15:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It isn't just the way SimPE works that is problematic. There are many times when I work on something ordinary where through 3 or 4 revisions, I make only subtle changes that should not affect the logic of the code, but somehow manages to work differently anyway. Were I doing that to a custom Global or custom PersonGlobal, I doubt the code would work consistently at all.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 15, 16:47:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, presumably you attempt to only have one unique instance of that instance in your downloads at any time?  And if Maxis didn't have one by the same number anyway, I can't see how it could be running the wrong BHAV.  I mean you take out your old versions first before installing the latest, don't you?

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 16, 01:03:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The problem is not conflicts. The problem, I think, is that you can't count on the state of the VM even for ordinary modifications. It goes without saying that WTF type problems will show up with the type you're proposing to do.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 16, 23:46:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why have you got that blue horseshoe thing instead of the bonfires?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 17, 01:55:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

New Senate icon.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 December 17, 09:17:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's a bit dignified and serious for MATY isn't it?  Whatever next, Kewian with a cute toddler avatar?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: