More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 23:10:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  BV freezes forever
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: BV freezes forever  (Read 5066 times)
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
BV freezes forever
« on: 2007 December 14, 05:36:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I just installed Bon Voyage.  Unfortunately, it randomly freezes after a few minutes of play.  The sound continues playing, but everything is locked up.  The curser will still move for a few minutes, then it will freeze.  There seems to be no pattern.  This will happen during play, buy, and build modes.  I cannot minimize the program or bring up the task manager.  The computer will not shut down after pressing the power button or restart with ctrl+alt+delete.  I have to cut the power manually by holding the power button in.  I reduced the sound acceleration in DirectX, as EA recommends, and then turned it off entirely.  I set the affinity to CPU1.  I have turned off all back ground processes.  Of course I tried it with no CC.  Nothing solves it.

My system more than  meets the requirements, but to be sure:
XP Media SP2
PentiumD 3.2 GHz
1 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB

So far I have only found references to this problem on macs.  Has anyone heard of this problem on P.C.'s, and a way to fix it?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: BV freezes forever
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 14, 12:53:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does this happen with Free Will deactivated?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 14, 13:54:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have the most recent NVidia drivers?

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 14, 15:38:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I just installed Bon Voyage.  Unfortunately, it randomly freezes after a few minutes of play.  The sound continues playing, but everything is locked up.  The curser will still move for a few minutes, then it will freeze.  There seems to be no pattern.  This will happen during play, buy, and build modes.  I cannot minimize the program or bring up the task manager.  The computer will not shut down after pressing the power button or restart with ctrl+alt+delete.  I have to cut the power manually by holding the power button in.  I reduced the sound acceleration in DirectX, as EA recommends, and then turned it off entirely.  I set the affinity to CPU1.  I have turned off all back ground processes.  Of course I tried it with no CC.  Nothing solves it.

My system more than  meets the requirements, but to be sure:
XP Media SP2
PentiumD 3.2 GHz
1 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256MB

So far I have only found references to this problem on macs.  Has anyone heard of this problem on P.C.'s, and a way to fix it?

I have had the same exact problem ever since BV came out. We have similar specs although you have a faster processor then I do and my card is the Nvidia 7600 GT.

I played the update, roll back, try different drivers, game for a few months before I finally just gave up. I haven't found any solution or pattern to the computer freeze up. I finally just uninstalled BV and hope that EA figures out a patch to solve the Nvidia conflict.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 14, 18:43:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't mess with free will since it will happen in buy and build modes too, when the sims aren't doing anything anyway. 

Yes, I updated the driver too, which installed this bloated Nvidia setting control thing. 

So you think this has something to do with the video card?  I am getting so sick of EA.  I almost didn't bother with Bon Voyage, after the SafeDisk fiasco, but since I have no problems with NWN2, I figured I'd risk this SecuRom.  After all this there's no way I'm messing with a Sims 3.  I was really looking forward to Spore, but now I don't know if I will ever buy another EA title again.
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 14, 18:44:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried using the bloated Nvidia Setting control thing to turn things down a bit?

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 15, 01:46:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So you think this has something to do with the video card?  I am getting so sick of EA.  I almost didn't bother with Bon Voyage, after the SafeDisk fiasco, but since I have no problems with NWN2, I figured I'd risk this SecuRom.  After all this there's no way I'm messing with a Sims 3.  I was really looking forward to Spore, but now I don't know if I will ever buy another EA title again.
So don't? Yarr!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Liveangel
Querulous Quidnunc

Meh.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 15, 02:29:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I just installed Bon Voyage.  Unfortunately, it randomly freezes after a few minutes of play.  The sound continues playing, but everything is locked up.  The curser will still move for a few minutes, then it will freeze.  There seems to be no pattern.  This will happen during play, buy, and build modes.  I cannot minimize the program or bring up the task manager.  The computer will not shut down after pressing the power button or restart with ctrl+alt+delete.  I have to cut the power manually by holding the power button in.
I'm suffering from this problem whenever I "Set Priority - High" for sims2ep6 in Task Manager. However, when I "Set Priority - Normal" for sims2ep6, BV runs ok. Weird.

"Jesus is not Santa Claus for adults! Jesus is for everyone!"Edward Current
Ionopachys
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 15, 02:50:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I turned off shading, even thought there has been no blue-screen or crashing, and this time I was able to play for over an hour without it freezing, though the fish tank was boring.  Of course, it has been totally random, happening once after only five minutes and another time after twenty.  I could have just gotten lucky.

One neat thing is that, other than the freezing, the game does seem to be responding faster.  Before it has taken several seconds to enter buy or build mode, and at least half a minute to load collections, but now they come right up without a delay.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: