More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 01:00:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Database almost ready...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Database almost ready...  (Read 25704 times)
knitro
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Database almost ready...
« Reply #25 on: 2005 October 20, 21:19:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm definitely intrested, my lab notebook is a bit tedious, and looks cluttery on my desk Smiley

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"
BeckerCheez
Irritating Ignoramus

'cause I don't have anything else...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2005 October 20, 21:21:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd try this out.  I have an odd family tree going at the moment and would like something to keep up with my Sims.   Cheesy

Poster Formerly Known as Chee-Z
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2005 October 21, 08:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah lovely idea!  I would also be very interested in trying this.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2005 October 21, 09:28:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That looks like it would be very useful! I would love to try it out.

Fail.
speedreader
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2005 October 21, 11:48:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess I should have known I wasn't the only one with a method for tracking my Sims.  I use large index cards for each household.  I also have a sheet of legal paper folded like an acordian where I track generations so that I am sure I am aging them uniformly.  Oh, and then there are the symbols for each generation.  I also keep track of attractions/crushes so that at a glance I will know Tom shouldn't flirt with Angie in front of Amanda with whom he already has a shared crush. 

And then there is my jobs cheat sheet - letter sized paper folded in quarters.  On the various quarters I have:  careers for each aspiration, total skills needed for each career, which degree for which career and, which careers for each degree.  The last ingredient to my play records are the three index cards with career chance cards and their outcomes.  I refer to those every time a chance card pops up so that I know what to expect.  Surprisingly I still get new ones occasionally.

I need all this information at my fingertips, so a database on my computer wouldn't work unless I bought a second computer and ran it next to the current 'puter...hmm...it wouldn't need an expensive Pentium...might be possible...(off to check Sunday ads).

My family thinks I am nuts.  Now I can point out to them that I'm not alone.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 2005 October 21, 15:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In reply to Lauraglenn: yes there will be printable reports available. There is one semi-customizable Excel-like view (called a table view) where you'll be able to position and resize columns and this can be printed. I also have a couple of other printable reports but this is is kind of the tricky part because there are so many possible ways to present the data. I fully expect that these reports will be tweaked and more reports added.

I think the way I'll personally use the database is to print the reports and use these also as a form to add more data. Or just review it before I start playing. I don't think I'll switch back and forth during play but take notes and then enter in afterwards. It was kind of weird I started playing yesterday after a 10-day hiatus and I had no idea to do with the one family I was playing, I'd sort of forgotten who they were and had lost momentum.  Previously I'd been playing (not just that family) at least a couple of hours a day every day.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Twibil
Blathering Buffoon

I open at the close.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2005 October 21, 16:43:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really have been in need of something like this, but have been too damn lazy to do it myself.  I just have post-it notes strewn all over my desk.  I would love to do some testing on something like this.

Printable reports?  Ooooh, now I am getting chills!

"The rumors that Peter Pan was a fairy are completely unsubstantiated; Not that there's anything wrong with that." - Pascal Curious

www.curiousstate.com
Lynda
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2005 October 21, 18:46:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This sounds great (I LOVE databases) but I have no printer and I too need info at my fingertips, so I'm not sure it'll be practical for me (I do have two monitors on my computer, so technically I could run TS2 in window mode on one monitor and the program can be up on the other one, but I don't like playing games in window mode)

It looks like SimPE does have an export feature, sort of.  It's manual and it uses a bunch of codes, so that would need to be translated into plain English, but it could theoretically be done to import and/or update Sims one at a time.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2005 October 21, 18:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd love this.  It would be great for reconstructing things when I fubar my game!

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2005 October 22, 01:07:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks really cool.  Can't wait to try it.

I can't install SimPE because my computer refuses to install NET Framework 1.1, and I refuse to care why.  While I'm sure this doesn't have all of SimPE's features, this looks to be sweet nonetheless.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2005 October 22, 02:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't mind that this wouldn't import data. Sometimes if I have to restore a n'hood or change a storyline in some way, I don't want an automatic update in my records. I want to be able record sequentially, separate from the game.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Bangelnuts
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2005 October 22, 05:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't mind trying it either. Smiley
I will try it it would certainly come in handy in my game

I have joined the ranks of many herre and have been banned from Brynnes forum.I must say the pleasure is all mine in having been banned from there .Self absorbed bragging is tiring  after awhile.
smcnic
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2005 October 22, 20:11:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any chance for a status update?  I've got a free evening and would just looooove to spend it databasing my Simmies.  On a Saturday night.  My life is sad.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2005 October 22, 20:30:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am in desperate need of something like this! I keep buying spiral notebooks for this very reason, and my son keeps ripping all the paper out so he can draw.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2005 October 22, 20:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am in desperate need of something like this! I keep buying spiral notebooks for this very reason, and my son keeps ripping all the paper out so he can draw.
You should buy him some drawing paper just for him so he will leave yours alone!
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2005 October 22, 20:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should buy him some drawing paper just for him so he will leave yours alone!

I do! He goes through a huge pack of printer paper every 2-3 days.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2005 October 22, 20:45:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do! He goes through a huge pack of printer paper every 2-3 days.
Dang!  When I was a kid, I was only allowed two sheets of paper to draw on, and I had to use them both front and back.  My mother was very frugal with paper.  But I've seen kids take a tablet, scribble once on every page, then say the needed a new one.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: 2005 October 22, 21:04:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can TOTALLY relate...

I was hoping to have it up by yesterday evening, and then I realized I had to find a place to host the darn thing, because Geocities Free won't cut it. (It's not a really big file, about 4 MB zipped, but obviously I can't upload it to the official Sims site, etc.) No worries... my plan is by this evening!

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
AllenABQ
Feckless Fool

Contemplator of Fuzzy Things

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2005 October 22, 21:28:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can TOTALLY relate...

I was hoping to have it up by yesterday evening, and then I realized I had to find a place to host the darn thing, because Geocities Free won't cut it. (It's not a really big file, about 4 MB zipped, but obviously I can't upload it to the official Sims site, etc.) No worries... my plan is by this evening!

Is there an appropriate section on MTS2 that you could put it?
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2005 October 22, 21:31:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are only 2,000 sections on MTS2.  I'm sure they could find one.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2005 October 22, 22:12:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dang!  When I was a kid, I was only allowed two sheets of paper to draw on, and I had to use them both front and back.  My mother was very frugal with paper.  But I've seen kids take a tablet, scribble once on every page, then say the needed a new one.

Oh, yeah, me too! My son has that artistic/autistic creates-like-a-madman thing going. No time for silly erasers. He works in pen, anyway. I can't tell what the mistakes actually are, they all look the same to me. Some sheets of paper will have a circle or line or something, then be discarded. He'll then draw a new circle or line on a new sheet of paper and it will satisfy him. I have tried to get him to be a little less wasteful, but no go. I, however, put his "mistakes" to good use. I use the scrap paper for my shopping lists, sim notes, etc.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2005 October 22, 23:59:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you get stuck, I could put it up on my home page for about a week or so till you get it sorted. I have a 10MB limit. My webpage is not current but am thinking of resurrecting it in the next few weeks.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2005 October 23, 04:01:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the idea of this database and will be eager to try it. I thought I'd posted earlier but can't seem to find my thread.
I wonder if there would be a way in SimPe to export useful info from the N00X_Neighbourhood file to it. I've considered trying it with Access, as some of my neighbourhoods have over 90 families, and I am still a little crazy with twoJeffs trips/quads mod, so none are small families.
I wonder if even running Clean Installer and trying to convert the character list to a text file which could be imported... bah, I talk too much.
I would be delighted to test this. I seem to have a lot of time on my hands lately and will do anything to further procrastinate cleaning out my neighbourhoods to install the EPs.

Oh, yeah, me too! My son has that artistic/autistic creates-like-a-madman thing going. No time for silly erasers. He works in pen, anyway. I can't tell what the mistakes actually are, they all look the same to me. Some sheets of paper will have a circle or line or something, then be discarded. He'll then draw a new circle or line on a new sheet of paper and it will satisfy him. I have tried to get him to be a little less wasteful, but no go. I, however, put his "mistakes" to good use. I use the scrap paper for my shopping lists, sim notes, etc.

A coworker has 5 kids under the age of 10 and keeps a crate beside our 'to be shredded' bin. Anything not confidential goes there so she can take it home for them to draw or colour on. It's no any special effort to throw it in her box vs. the one we pay to have removed, so it's working well for her.
I am a bit jealous though, my mom never bought paper and my sister used to snag her pantyhose so we could draw on the cardboard from the new pair. We weren't extraordinarily poor, just not something she bought, never occured to us to ask.
Must have scarred me because in college I bought a box of computer paper.  It wasn't very expensive, and though I give my nephew packs to colour on, it's been over 10 years and I still have over half left.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 2005 October 23, 04:15:06 by Zeljka » Logged

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
lauraglenn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2005 October 23, 04:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In reply to Lauraglenn: yes there will be printable reports available....
I think the way I'll personally use the database is to print the reports and use these also as a form to add more data. Or just review it before I start playing.

Pegasys, thanks so much for the reply.  I am really excited about your database.  I will probably use the reports just as you mentioned, to keep notes while playing and update the database regularly.  I can't wait!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: