More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 10:34:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Database almost ready...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Database almost ready...  (Read 25703 times)
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
Database almost ready...
« on: 2005 October 19, 19:05:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I've been putting a lot of time into this Sims 2 database... it's been an interesting project! Anyway as I've designed for more than just myself (trying to make it user-friendly, navigable, etc.) I would love to have a few testers before I figure out how to distribute it (totally freeware, of course) more widely. So if you're interested in testing it, please let me know. It's designed on a few-years-old version of FileMaker Pro but you won't have to have FileMaker to use it. 

If this is not the proper forum for discussing this, please point me to a better place! Cheers. And now I'm off to actually *play* the Sims 2, which I haven't in over a week!!!

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: Database almost ready...
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 19, 19:07:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can certainly try to break it for you.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 19, 19:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wouldn't mind trying it either. Smiley

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 19, 19:13:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is this database?
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 19, 19:37:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to give it a peek also. Smiley

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
striker
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 19, 20:25:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have FMP 6.  I'll give it a shot.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 19, 21:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is it about?  I'd probably like to try it too.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 20, 00:08:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, for a little more info, here's a sample screenshot...

Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 20, 00:10:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

that looks intersting. I think I'd like to try that.
seventhson
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 20, 00:11:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

'Nother volunteer here, though I'm not nearly so skilled as the others (who are much More Awesome Than Me).
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 20, 00:15:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are probably more skiled then me. I know absolutely nothing about modding and if I tried to learn I'd probably end up causing my game to explode in a firey ball visible from space.

So I reply on all the modders who are ALL More Awesome Then Me.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 20, 00:36:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oooh I wanna play!  Pick me!  Pick me! Grin

(EDIT: looks similar to the Access Database I made, but, like, better!) Cheesy

<insert witty comment here>
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 20, 01:14:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cool, count me in for sure!
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 20, 01:41:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Would love to try this out.  I badly need something like this in my Pleasantview, it's so full.  In fact, I've been looking for something like this for a while, as I have no idea how to use Excel or whatever it is that does this kind of thing.  This interface looks far more user-friendly, would be a great addition to the game I think.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
JenW
Irritating Ignoramus

Grilled cheese lovin' cyborg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 20, 01:59:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh wow that looks awesome Grin What a great idea. Does it pull any data in automatically or do you have to fill everything in?

Jen

<Pescado> With ninja throwing breadsticks, YOU are the dipping sauce! | The Literate Sim
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 20, 03:06:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately,  Undecided and this is the biggest drawback, it does not pull in any data, so you need to enter in all the data manually. I have to confess it is a bit time consuming (extra for me, because every time I've added a record I have found a new thing to tweak). If you have a lot of Sims it will take awhile. Now that I've entered in my data I can see I am managing about 40 Sims, and 15 households plus a couple of dorms. I know many people have a lot more Sims than that.  It's time for some of these Sims to transition...  Wink

However, once most of the data is in there, it is a breeze to update.  Cheesy If your Sims aren't having twins every other hour, no problem. 

I do wonder whether a tool like SimPE has a function whereby some of the data could be exported out, but I have to confess I tend to use very few hacks/mods and have not yet installed this software. If it turns out there's enough interest in it I will pursue it further.

jenflower
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 20, 03:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh - that is so great!  Awesome! 
I have been wanting something like this for a while.  I designed some charts in Microsoft Word and printed them out to keep track of my Sims, but all those papers get a little disorganized on my desk.  I was toying with the idea of trying a Visual Basic version...but I tend to lose steam mid-project, so I doubt I would have gotten very far.   Grin

The layout you have looks very user-friendly...let me know if you need any help testing it out. Smiley

"That probably would have sounded more commanding if I wasn't wearing my yummy sushi pajamas."
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 20, 04:48:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have so much paper on my desk - family notes, thoughts on where I'm going with each sim, future spouse possibilities & whether they've met yet, where they'll live when they do marry, family trees printed in a genealogy program, etc.

A database I could access by alt-tabbing would make my desk so much neater!  This is a great idea, hope it's released soon!

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 20, 05:02:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I'll be in too. Though I downloaded a geneaology program - Legacy - the other night and that's quite handy. I'm running 20-30 sims at the moment so it wasn't a big issue to enter data. What is not suitable in a free gen. program, is that I can't create custom fields to track my genetic data and the birth and death dates are irrelevant, amongst other things.

I'd be much more keen to try a custom made database for the sims. Smiley Pick me too!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 20, 05:17:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This looks so much more useful than the notepad file I've been trying to use! I'm only playing one family and even then I have a hard time keeping track of them. Just out of curiousity, how would one go about using the date of birth/marriage fields? Would you just note the day in-game the event occurred or use the RL date? Very cool indeed.  Grin

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 20, 07:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm hoping to have a release available for testing in the next day or two. I can already tell that there will probably be a lot of possible enhancements... things keep popping up in my head.  I started this project because I too had downloaded a genealogy program and entered all my data - but it is a trial version expiring in one day and I didn't feel like paying for it. Also I found it cumbersome to enter data that's unique to the Sims 2. I do love the tree charting aspects of the genealogical software though.

As far as the date field in the marriage/birth, it's a bit of a holdover from my working with the genealogy program.  If it turns out very few people really use that kind of data, maybe it'd be removed or deemphasized. (I do recall one person saying they kept track of their Sims' birthdays and only let them age on their actual birthday!) But it might be fun to track how long you've been playing a particular Sim - in real days. It's harder to figure out Sim days, especially if they've been drinking the green juice. 15 days till Elder, but one's gone through 3 bottles of Elixir? Hmmmm. Good question.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 20, 07:44:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...Also I found it cumbersome to enter data that's unique to the Sims 2. I do love the tree charting aspects of the genealogical software though.
Yes, difficulties with sims unique data, that's what I meant about no custom fields. The tree charting was why I tried the gen software. If you were able to make a report like that for your d'base, I would be thrilled. Which may be no incentive at all of course. Wink

As far as the date field in the marriage/birth, it's a bit of a holdover from my working with the genealogy program.

I briefly tried putting in dates as if it were real world - field was constructed to only accept dates in various formats - but quickly realised it was a lot of work for no real gain. I just used the dead/alive flag tickbox thing. I was going to import the character pictures too. I won't bother now, I'll wait for yours. Smiley

So I get to play tonight after all. Hope you do too at some point. This d'base is looking really good.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 20, 09:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me wants. Me wants.  Me wants!

I keep trying to keep track on legal pads but ..... me wants this.

Loading the database with all my frickin' Sims is going to be work  Tongue, but this is exactly the kind of thing I've been needing.

(I'd be lousy at testing mods and such, but I work with databases at the day job, so this I might actually be helpful with.  Just don't ask me to link tables.  I HATE linking tables.  Grin )

Thanks!

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
lauraglenn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 20, 10:24:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would love to try your database.  It looks great!  I've been trying to keep track of my sims on paper... this will be so much better.  I also noticed there is a reports tab.  Do you have some printable reports created?
draranha
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 20, 21:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Great idea!
I'm interested!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: