More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 02:29:54

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  An old problem with blue textures and my bad memory
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: An old problem with blue textures and my bad memory  (Read 2447 times)
millahnna
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
An old problem with blue textures and my bad memory
« on: 2007 December 09, 04:22:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm playing Base Game plus Uni (patched, no stuff packs) on an XP machine.  Radeon 9200 series vid card with updated drivers.  I went on a massive download bender and was in game double checking the look of stuff to delete it.  I killed a custom texture on a maxis door and suddenly all of my Maxis doors with white textures are flashing blue.  As in no CC is being affected, just the maxis textures.  Exited game, went back in, still blue and still only default game stuff. 

I've gone looking here, at the official site, the wiki, and modthesims for more info on the flashing blue thing (which I haven't run into in for literally years, and then in a perfectly normal way) and nothing I've found is helping.  I seem to be having weird issues with my search keywords in terms of finding more info.  Anyone have ideas?  A thread here that I didn't see?  I'm playing for the first time in a year or so, so I'm drawing a blank on a lot of tech info for this buggy game and not a lot of folks are covering Uni only these days.

Worst case scenario there's always a reinstall (in safe mode for me because I have one of THOSE disks) but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. 
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
Re: An old problem with blue textures and my bad memory
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 09, 05:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't seen this in ages either, but here are some ideas.

It may be as simple as needing to delete your groups.cache and thumbnail files.

If that does not fix it, before reinstalling try replacing the objects.package, Textures.package, and the Objects0#.package files in the Program Files directory for both base game and Uni. If you somehow deleted a game texture instead of a custom one, this should replace them, and it's usually easier to replace the files than to reinstall the game.

It's also possible you deleted one  texture from a package that contained two separate textures for the same object. In this case the broken file needs to be hunted down and deleted.

Fail.
millahnna
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: An old problem with blue textures and my bad memory
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 09, 06:27:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Sara, thread bookmarked and I'll try all of that next time.  This time, the repeated (2nd or 3rd) exit from the game did the trick. To which I say, "the hell?"  So I went back to cleaning downloads and caused the problem again.  This is me exiting game and going back in again.  If it doesn't work, I'll try all of your tips (and report back on how it went in case there's other dolts like me out there somewhere).

ETA:  SO far I haven't had to try your tips as exiting and reentering generally works.  Just in case I deleted all my relevant thumbnails and groups.cache for this next round.  I haven't replaced those package files because I don't particularly feel like fighting with my CD drive at the moment (I'm assuming I need to copy them from the disks to the program files folders as opposed to from the program folders to my ea games folder).  It's got a buggy open and close issue. 

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: 2007 December 10, 00:00:00 by millahnna » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: