More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 03:46:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Planet K 20X6
| | |-+  More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!  (Read 115544 times)
Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: More Awful Than You! December: 'tis the season!
« Reply #100 on: 2007 December 06, 10:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Kate-  Somewhere, on an obscure forum many, many light years ago, someone posted a direct link to your site.  This link was in reference to some very craptastic clothing.  I still checked your site out and found some of the most unique and useful flooring.  Almost all of my simmies' homes have parsimonious flooring in at least one room.  Many outside paths and driveways come from your site.  I, in turn, have commented on the wonders of parsimonious flooring and recommended them highly on other forums (though without direct links).  IMHO, any advertising is good advertising.  I always check out links for utter shite because you never know when you will find a gem while cruising around.  Bandwidth aside, traffic is good, yes?

I do agree that advertising is good up to a point - what I object to is someone ripping us to shreds AND stealing our bandwidth AND being fucking ignorant about it. And there isn't really any advantage to us in additional advertising *here* - because any visitors that do go to the site are likely to only visit once only just to gawp, so we're not picking up regular traffic from people who are going to  use the site for its intended purpose.  In that respect there's really no incentive for me to do anyone here a favour of allowing them to link to the pictures, since its done for the collective entertainment of MATY members and not for any purpose that might do us any good. All of that aside, if someone had *bothered* to ask then yeah, no problem, even if it is just to take the piss. I'm not a total bitch, but if someone treats me like a arsehole, I'm not going to do them any favours.

25 GB a day for IMAGES is still insane. PMBD only runs maybe 80-100 GB/day, and there's a MASSIVE amount of crap there. Besides, why complain about hotlinked images? You call it a problem, but I call it an opportunity. An opportunity to show the young and impressionable children of the world a GIANT PICTURE of a man's GAPING DISTENDED ANUS. An opportunity like that should not be passed up!

I do like your thinking JMP, we have just a regular epilepsy inducing gif that occurs for people direct linking to pictures in our download sections *if* I've decided that particular domain doesn't get the option to post our pictures *ever* - I think posting goatse would be a step too far personally, besides, I don't think most kids are that easily offended? Hot-linking to zips (which is the bigger problem, and accounts for most of the 25Gb), again where specified just brings people to the site front page.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2007 December 06, 11:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do agree that advertising is good up to a point - what I object to is someone ripping us to shreds AND stealing our bandwidth AND being fucking ignorant about it. And there isn't really any advantage to us in additional advertising *here* - because any visitors that do go to the site are likely to only visit once only just to gawp, so we're not picking up regular traffic from people who are going to use the site for its intended purpose.
That's not true. I've gone to gawp AND snag stuff before. If your content isn't all "More Awful Than You", and it really isn't, given that while some people who don't share your sense of taste nominate you, you never actually win, the less-than-popular may as well be considered an advertisement for that which is more in line with people's tastes. Gawping can be a good thing.

In that respect there's really no incentive for me to do anyone here a favour of allowing them to link to the pictures, since its done for the collective entertainment of MATY members and not for any purpose that might do us any good.
I dunno, if it wasn't for your features in More Awful Than You, I'd have never paid attention to your existence. That's worth something. So lighten up. Embrace the insanity. Find someone More Awful than You!

I do like your thinking JMP, we have just a regular epilepsy inducing gif that occurs for people direct linking to pictures in our download sections *if* I've decided that particular domain doesn't get the option to post our pictures *ever* - I think posting goatse would be a step too far personally, besides, I don't think most kids are that easily offended? Hot-linking to zips (which is the bigger problem, and accounts for most of the 25Gb), again where specified just brings people to the site front page.
Hot-linking to zips is a non-problem. Keep in mind that if you made people ACTUALLY VIEW THE ENTIRE CRAPPY PAGE just to get the zip file they want, they would chew up MORE of your bandwidth. Since hotlinked zips are never inadvertantly loaded by those who are merely passing by the page, only by those who have intentionally clicked the download link, it means these are people who really DO want those files. If they want to eat those files in a low-budget, no-fluff form, why not? That's my view of the matter. I encourage people to hotlink zips. It keeps those stupid noobs off my forum and lets them have their file without chewing up php cycles. It's a non-issue, and you'd do best to just ignore and chalk it up as being a regular download. No browser automatically grabs zips linked on random pages. Images are the real issue because they can be used in ways that have nothing at all to do with your site.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2007 December 06, 11:26:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what I object to is someone ripping us to shreds AND stealing our bandwidth AND being fucking ignorant about it.

At least we're not ignorant of the EULA.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2007 December 06, 11:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was random. I wasn't aware Parsimonious was a paysite. I thought they were not only free, but required absolutely NO REGISTRATION to get anything. I do so detest registration.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2007 December 06, 11:46:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok, my bad. I thought there was a post a few back saying do hotlink paysites.

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2007 December 06, 12:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh ok, my bad. I thought there was a post a few back saying do hotlink paysites.
There is. Parsimonious is not a paysite.

simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2007 December 06, 12:44:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well in that case I must have got confused between the two posts somewhere. Sorry.

Parsimonious Kate
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2007 December 06, 15:03:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

what I object to is someone ripping us to shreds AND stealing our bandwidth AND being fucking ignorant about it.

WTF?? I've never sold a Sims download in my LIFE? Time you put away that crack pipe I think. Plus given at 5 of our resident artists have worked for EAxis over the past 4+ years I think its highly likely that we understand more about the intricacies of the Sims 2 EULA than you do Simsfreq. We are well aware of what it *actually* means.

JMP, I can see the advantages of keeping people away from the site, but we don't have any visitor involvement aside from our guest books, so it doesn't make any difference whether people are stupid and irritating or not. What does make a difference is if they view the pages they also view the ads so I'm more likely to get paid for the traffic, a lot of international traffic doesn't pay anything but some chance of getting something is still better than none at all! Unlike MTS2 we're not taking in $3000+ a month in subscriber fees, so its gotta come from somewhere.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2007 December 06, 15:37:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You call it a problem, but I call it an opportunity. An opportunity to show the young and impressionable children of the world a GIANT PICTURE of a man's GAPING DISTENDED ANUS. An opportunity like that should not be passed up!

I did something like that once.  Unfortunately I forgot to remove all the original images from my own site.
Better be more organised than me before doing something like that.  Or maybe use more advanced tools, but if I have to use anything more complicated than notepad to make a webpage, I won't bother.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2007 December 06, 19:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

25 GB a day for IMAGES is still insane. PMBD only runs maybe 80-100 GB/day, and there's a MASSIVE amount of crap there. Besides, why complain about hotlinked images? You call it a problem, but I call it an opportunity. An opportunity to show the young and impressionable children of the world a GIANT PICTURE of a man's GAPING DISTENDED ANUS. An opportunity like that should not be passed up!
Gah not again!
Why must I click the links, things like that always tempt me, I'm very too 12

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
cenoura
Exasperating Eyesore

Talk to the hand!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2007 December 06, 19:33:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gah not again!
Why must I click the links, things like that always tempt me, I'm very too 12

But Jak, it actually said what it was. Even I didn't click it that time  Wink

ISTP
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2007 December 06, 19:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

WTF?? I've never sold a Sims download in my LIFE? Time you put away that crack pipe I think. Plus given at 5 of our resident artists have worked for EAxis over the past 4+ years I think its highly likely that we understand more about the intricacies of the Sims 2 EULA than you do Simsfreq. We are well aware of what it *actually* means.

JMP, I can see the advantages of keeping people away from the site, but we don't have any visitor involvement aside from our guest books, so it doesn't make any difference whether people are stupid and irritating or not. What does make a difference is if they view the pages they also view the ads so I'm more likely to get paid for the traffic, a lot of international traffic doesn't pay anything but some chance of getting something is still better than none at all! Unlike MTS2 we're not taking in $3000+ a month in subscriber fees, so its gotta come from somewhere.

Wow, this is great PR for Parsimonious. I'm sure lots of people are coming away with a good impression of the people behind your site now.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
MadameUgly
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2007 December 06, 19:59:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That child skankwear ("get more presents from santa") is disturbing.  So is the peek-a-boo granny panty dress.

Want decent sim stories?  Go forth and read: http://madame-ugly.livejournal.com/
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2007 December 06, 20:26:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Kate, you may have a couple of other problems. It would be trivially easy to set an automated downloader on these, and drain tons of valuable bandwidth, all the while skipping the main HTML pages (and therefore the ads).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2007 December 06, 23:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awful goes here!
Complaints go here.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2007 December 07, 00:32:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I didn't even realize you had those, because I block them all anyway. Tongue

Note to self: MATY needs a big annoying pop-up ad for Adblock.

Kate, you may have a couple of other problems. It would be trivially easy to set an automated downloader on these, and drain tons of valuable bandwidth, all the while skipping the main HTML pages (and therefore the ads).
Aww, yeah! Raw directories! Now that's some good web design. No more frilly purple crap!

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2007 December 07, 04:13:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, this is great PR for Parsimonious. I'm sure lots of people are coming away with a good impression of the people behind your site now.

I've always had a good impression of the site. I still do. Parsimonious gets tons of traffic, they have to pay for that bandwidth somehow. The ads on the site aren't too irritating, as ads go.

If one were to have a bad impression of everyone who has gotten pissed off at Pescado, one would have a bad impression of everyone but Pescado. I'd be pretty annoyed in Kate's position as well.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2007 December 07, 09:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I already apologised for my mistake about this earlier, I assumed, I was wrong, end of discussion? Can we get back to discussing fugly holiday crap now please?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2007 December 07, 10:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pull your head in n00b, Kate had a valid complaint about hotlinking, I was just surprised about the size of the traffic. Hopefully Venusy has pointed out some useful things so it's not a complete waste of Kate's time.

I've downloaded many things from Parsimonious too and I'm grateful they're around and they're free.

BTW this isn't all about you, just in case you are too narcissistic to notice.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2007 December 07, 10:58:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back on topic:

Xmas Special: Bodysuits for elders

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: 2007 December 07, 11:19:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ew. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. oh for the love of whatever deity is amusing this week, some things should just be left in the imagination of those depraved enough to conceive it.

fuck. I can't unsee that.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
sudaki
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2007 December 07, 14:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(picture of Buntah creation here)
The obligatory Buntah entry.  Poor textures, improbable pieces, visible asscrack, and yeah, that looks REAL warm.  This is a woman who obviously does not know what 'winter' means.  (Or 'good taste,' for that matter.)

That woman has a candy cane jammed in her asscrack.  If that doesn't win every contest ever, I don't know what does.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2007 December 07, 16:47:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've always had a good impression of the site. I still do. Parsimonious gets tons of traffic, they have to pay for that bandwidth somehow. The ads on the site aren't too irritating, as ads go.

I'd be pretty annoyed in Kate's position as well.

I have to agree with that. Parsimonious was one of the first sites I found after I got TS2. It was a while before I discovered that some sites were *gasp* pay!

I guess what I'm trying to understand is what is the proper method of using a picture from someone else's site that doesn't eat up their bandwidth. I've always downloaded the image to my computer and then uploaded it using photobucket. Is that wrong?

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 2007 December 07, 16:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No Kelly-but right clicking and copying the original url to the image is. It is called hotlinking. In general opinion it is ok to do that to a paysite, but not to a freesite.

I remember Parsimonious from the TS1 days! Ahh, the memories.... Grin

MadameUgly
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2007 December 07, 17:24:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Back on topic:
(image of granny skankwear removed)
Xmas Special: Bodysuits for elders

Wow.  I thought the ass crack as candy cane warmer outfit was going to be hard to beat but. . .

Even the founder of my whore house wouldn't wear that (when she gets to elder).

Want decent sim stories?  Go forth and read: http://madame-ugly.livejournal.com/
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: