More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 20:47:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Help! Accidentally stopped .package files from being openable
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help! Accidentally stopped .package files from being openable  (Read 5181 times)
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
Help! Accidentally stopped .package files from being openable
« on: 2007 November 30, 23:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am non-awesome.

I was trying to open a sim file in body shop without installing it first and accidentally told Windows to associate all .package files with body shop. Now when I try to open a download, it just says "double-click on the file to install it" in a box that looks like it would have a patronising voice. I am aware I need to be patronised. *Weeps* why do I never think before doing stupid stuff like this?

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
Re: Help! Accidentally stopped .package files from being openable
« Reply #1 on: 2007 November 30, 23:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What operating system are you using?  If it is windows XP, I might be able to help you fix it so it is useable.

Open up a folder in view mode.
Go to Tools->folder options
Click on the file type tab.
Scroll down until you find the .package extension.
Set .package to open in SimPE or your .package viewer.

That's the best I can do, but I do know that somewhere there is a way to de-associate file types.  Perhaps someone much more awesome than I?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 01, 00:02:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you could left click on a package file and "open with", then "choose program", then find simpe on the list and click the box that says "always use this program" while you have simpe selected then click ok.
That is, if you are using windows. No idea how to take things off the list, but firefox is on my list or programs to open packages, and since i've done the above procedure with simpe it hasn't given me a problem.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 01, 00:06:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Morrigan's method is the one that I use.

Don't fret about it either, it happens.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 01, 00:56:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks. Phew! Roll Eyes So if I open them in SimPE will they install into my game? Having a blonde day I think lol. And yes, I am on Windows XP.
« Last Edit: 2007 December 01, 01:01:57 by simsfreq » Logged

Time has gathered us here by coincidence; that's why what we say doesn't make any sense.
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 01, 07:23:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't need to open .package files to install them, just copy them into your My Documents/Ea Games/Sims 2/Downloads folder.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
simsfreq
Exasperating Eyesore

ENTP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 01, 19:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that's what I thought I remembered (had a long break from playing sims) but I downloaded some bedding and put it in my downloads folder and it didn't appear in-game until I double-clicked the file and it came up with a message saying it had installed.

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 01, 19:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That was a .SIMS2PACK, not a .package. And .SIMS2PACKs should be opening with Clean Installer (or *blech* the EAxis installer), not SimPE or BodyShop (.packages should still be opening in SimPE or in nothing at all if you don't have SimPE installed).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 02, 13:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you could left click on a package file and "open with", then "choose program", then find simpe on the list and click the box that says "always use this program" while you have simpe selected then click ok.
That is, if you are using windows. No idea how to take things off the list, but firefox is on my list or programs to open packages, and since i've done the above procedure with simpe it hasn't given me a problem.

Left click? I think it is right click, isn't it?

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 02, 13:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Normally it is, but I seem to remember Windows having a "lefty flip" option for people who are left handed, so there's a chance that morriganrant might be using that.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 02, 18:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Normally it is, but I seem to remember Windows having a "lefty flip" option for people who are left handed, so there's a chance that morriganrant might be using that.
Doh, it is normally right click. I did switch it over awhile back because I tend to peck when I type. I use one hand to peck at the keyboard and another for the mouse for some games. I'm right handed so I found using the right hand to peck to be a bit faster. I may be switching back though. It gets confusing at times.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: