More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 01:57:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I only have the Nighlife expansion pack. Is the harderjobs hack compatible?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I only have the Nighlife expansion pack. Is the harderjobs hack compatible?  (Read 10166 times)
DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I only have the Nighlife expansion pack. Is the harderjobs hack compatible?
« on: 2007 November 30, 13:52:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my major misgivings with this game, is the speed that the Sims move up the socio-economic ladder once they start advancing in their jobs. I want them to hover around the middle-class level, or at the most, upper middle-class.

Do I need OFB for the harder jobs hack to work? Please tell me that I don't!
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
Re: I only have the Nighlife expansion pack. Is the harderjobs hack compatible?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 November 30, 14:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Harderjobs isn't in the NL directory, so yes, you will need OFB.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 November 30, 15:00:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Upgrading to one of the higher EPs (OFB, Seasons, BV) is not a bad idea in any event, since the Nightlife engine is not great to begin with (so I understand).  The higher EPs would upgrade the game engine and make things more stable.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 December 01, 17:31:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NL engine is horrifically buggy and unstable. Recommend upgrading to it just for the engine boost, the OFBp2 engine is by far the most stable of any expansion combo, even more so than the subsequent expansions, which broke stuff that was fixed in OFBp2, and never refixed it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 December 01, 19:51:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The engine in Glamour Life is still the best one, no doubt about it. After that, there's a HUGE regression in the routing code somewhere that affects just about every possible animation/routing conflict.

DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 December 04, 00:01:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been seriously considering purchasing OFB for the longest time now. Cash flow issues is holding me back, though. In addition, I am wary 'starting over' again. I have tons of hacks and other downloads, and they are all horribly unsorted. I wasn't aware that subfolders within the Downloads folder are workable (I now know that under certain conditions, they are), so it's hundreds and hundreds of rows of content, and removing all of the hacks, and retesting them first, seems like a huge task.

Then again, OFB looks intriguing. It holds the most storytelling and playability value from what I can tell. Seasons also look like fun. I guess I'll make the OFB update soon and painstakingly sort out the hacks and reinstall the updates.

It's ridiculous how much of my time this game consumes!

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 December 04, 04:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been seriously considering purchasing OFB for the longest time now...In addition, I am wary 'starting over' again. I have tons of hacks and other downloads, and they are all horribly unsorted. I wasn't aware that subfolders within the Downloads folder are workable (I now know that under certain conditions, they are), so it's hundreds and hundreds of rows of content, and removing all of the hacks, and retesting them first, seems like a huge task.

Generally, as long as your hacks have names (as the Awesome hacks do) instead of incomprehensible numbers, they are not that difficult to sort out and delete.  Problems arise mainly if you miss something.  I would suggest deleting all hacks from the NL game (good idea to remove downloads altogether before installing OFB - save the downloads folder somewhere else while you install) and once OFB is installed, get the appropriate awesome hacks (and anything else you need that's compatible).

In any case, if your downloads folder is so disorganized, you might want to start over anyway.

Tribulatio proxima est
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 December 04, 10:41:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been seriously considering purchasing OFB for the longest time now. Cash flow issues is holding me back, though.
That's the best excuse you can come up with?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 December 04, 10:45:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's the best excuse you can come up with?

Aye Cap'n, aaarrrrrrr

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 December 04, 10:57:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm. I wasn't aware there was an awesomeness rating for excuses as to why I haven't updated my game yet.

I'm currently saving up a measly buck here and there for my year-long stay in Taiwan, coming up this February. So any buck counts at this stage. In addition, I'll only be really able to play the OFB expansion pack for roundabout 2 months, before I take off for parts unknown.

The main reason? I'm already so besotted with this game, I'm getting dreams about my Sims. So it's kind of reaching seriously unawesome levels of preoccupation.

Thanks to all of you, though, for helping out. You never know if you stand a greater chance of being mocked for asking for help, or saying thank you for the help offered. Haha.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 December 04, 11:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aarrr, 'e be a foine pirate, 'e be.

DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 December 04, 12:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I take it the same goes for the increasedbills hack. Tis a pity, because I crave mods dealing with the finances aspect of the game. I guess the OFB upgrade is becoming more and more imminent.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 December 04, 14:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I guess the OFB upgrade is becoming more and more imminent.

I believe Witch is hinting broadly at the word "torrent".

Tribulatio proxima est
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 December 05, 08:05:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blimey, that was hard work, cheers jolrei!  Roll Eyes

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 December 05, 08:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In even plainer language: Just fucking steal it already!
Arrr! and Jolly ho! and all that.  Pirate it! Download it! Take it! Claim it as your own!  We won't judge you (or rather, we're judging you right now because you haven't already).  If you feel bad, you can pay for it when cashflow resumes.  And you shouldn't feel bad, because EA are suspicious pieces of shit who treat us all like thieves even when we aren't.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 December 05, 16:00:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, feeling bad about possibly pirating it? I downloaded the Nightlife expansion pack from my university network, so it's safe to say that I don't harbour any unnecessary feelings of guilt.  Smiley

The reason I don't have the OFB, is because it is not available on the network in question! So I'll fork out the R175, and feel like a law obeying citizen.

It'll be worth it, methinks. Will be fun renting out apartments and appointing a landlord. The childsupport hack is also pretty (dare I say it?) awesome, even if it is located at modthesims2.com (a site I happen to like quite a bit).

Will you ostracize me based on the above paragraph?  Cheesy
Lyra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 December 05, 16:19:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What's to stop you getting it from somewhere else? There are loads of torrent sites out there.

Here, I'll help you out. Toorgle is Google for torrents.

There. No excuse now.

EDIT: Missing L.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 December 05, 19:01:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason I don't have the OFB, is because it is not available on the network in question! So I'll fork out the R175, and feel like a law obeying citizen.

Take your pick:
http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3634315/The_Sims_2_Open_For_Business
http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/1276341/Sims_2_Open_For_Business
http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/614731/The_Sims_2_Open_for_Business_www_torrents_and_more_to
http://www.mininova.org/tor/240134
http://www.mininova.org/tor/240733

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
DrKeith
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 December 06, 17:05:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well guys, I found a solution for my problem. I've managed to talk my parents and my brother into jointly getting me the OFB expansion as a Christmas gift. We're not big on Christmas at all, and only give presents (on most years, anyway), as a family nicety, so no one is expected to blow huge amounts of cash.

So, problem solved! Middle-class Simmies, here I come ...

As an aside, what did you find the most gratifying about OFB? I've heard Pescado refer to 'subhoods'; what would that mean? And is it feasible to run apartments on lots, or is the setup of even this expansion pack still not very conducive to this?

OFB so far sounds like the most interesting EP, followed by Seasons. I'll pick up Seasons some other time. I also like the chemistry mechanism in Nightlife - it makes the hookups and relationships less arbitrary. I care little for the Downtown lot, though. Really, who does? An occasional trip is okay-ish, but other than that, I'm very blase about exiting my Sims' homes. For that very reason, the concept of BV bores me to no end. I heard Pets was on the whole a disappointment, but I might get that one some time, as I've never played with non-Sims in the game, in the original and Sims 2.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 December 06, 19:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Subhoods are additional terrains you can add to your main hood.  Similar to the Downtown that comes with NL, but they act like regular 'hoods' in that they don't add any more townies. So you could spread your sims out, so to speak.

And no, no real way to run apartments yet.  The closest is the hotels in Bon Voyage, but they're limited to vacation sub-hoods, and you can't own them.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
pioupiou
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 December 06, 19:54:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Chemistry is added with every EP after Nl (like inventory I think).
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 December 07, 00:52:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me, the most compelling thing about OfB was setting up a home business. I don't really get the appeal of community lot businesses.

seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 December 07, 19:07:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really think it makes much of a difference if you run mostly retail businesses to sell to townies, but home businesses can't be visited by other playable sims.  I like to have crafted goods and produce available to buy conveniently without making every sim get the relevant badges.  Also, with Pescado's evilsimseviltoys my nice sims can buy evil toys!  Cheesy

The other thing is themed venues and restaurants.  It seems more reasonable to have a medieval-themed restaurant, or wild west saloon/brothel off-site.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: