More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 09:03:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Forcing WS resolution on non-WS monitor - is it a VBT?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Forcing WS resolution on non-WS monitor - is it a VBT?  (Read 10306 times)
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
Forcing WS resolution on non-WS monitor - is it a VBT?
« on: 2007 November 29, 17:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I changed from my widescreen laptop to the non-widescreen monitor I use with my desktop, the game only lets me see either wants/fears or motives when playing in windowed mode. This is full of suck and made of fail. If I play in fullscreen I can see both, but then I can't multitask like I want to.

I've started thinking that if I could make the game think it's on a widescreen monitor that's as wide as my monitor is, but less high, it'd let me see both. I'm fine with having "unused" screen over and under the sims window. However, this might not work. I'm also slightly worried this might be a VBT, since I don't know a lot about monitors and what might be bad for them.

The monitor has a native resolution of 1024x768, which is also what the game resolution is set at both for fullscreen and windowed.

purplebunny
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: Forcing WS resolution on non-WS monitor - is it a VBT?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 November 29, 18:28:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't see it as being a bad thing, myself, as I do the exact opposite... play in full screen mode on a widescreen laptop. I just had to tweak a few settings with my video card to do so.

Though maybe I should contemplate actually setting the game up to run in widescreen mode one of these days... would've made filming in widescreen a lot easier.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 November 29, 18:32:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Windowed resolutions can be set to anything without harm. It is not possible to set your fullscreen resolution to a resolution that is not supported by your monitor, your monitor simply will not do it and the effort will fail.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 November 29, 18:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do not use windowed mode, but presumably would you not have to run the resolution of windowed mode at less than the monitor's native in order to have the whole game viewable in the window?  The task bar takes up space on the screen, for one.  As far as I know you can force the game into virtually any resolution you want to without permanent damage to the game using shortcut tags. 

Quote from: RTFM
WINDOWED MODE
-------------
To run The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack in windowed mode, first create a shortcut to the game by right-clicking on sims2ep5.exe and selecting "Create Shortcut." Then, right-click the shortcut and select properties. At the end of the "target" line, add a space and the text "-w" (without quotes). Click OK, and then launch the game by double-clicking on the shortcut. Running the game in a window will allow you to more easily switch between different programs, but please note that running other programs at the same time as The Sims 2 will be detrimental to the game's performance. Also note that edge scrolling does not function in windowed mode. If you experience any graphical anomalies, please make sure your desktop is set to 32-bit color.

Other command line options:

-w      windowed mode
 -f        fullscreen mode
 -nosound   run with no sound
 -r800x600   run at 800 x 600 resolution
-r(w)x(h)   run at (w) x (h) resolution

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 November 29, 18:41:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

KoW - you mean I should lower the resolution instead? I think I've tried that, but it failed.

Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 November 29, 19:43:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

KoW - you mean I should lower the resolution instead? I think I've tried that, but it failed.

You tried the instructions as outlined in the TS2 'readme' that I quoted?

I would assume that the resolution would definitely have to be lower than the overall monitor resolution, otherwise you would not be able to see the whole game in the window.  I could be wrong, but I don't see how Windows or TS2 would automatically scale the game to fit in your window.  Maybe someone who uses windowed mode can give you an idea of a good resolution to use?

If there is one thing we learn from history it is that no one learns anything from history.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 November 29, 20:26:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I did yesterday, and tried it first with 1024x768 since PlaidSquirrel said that had solved it for her, and then on a widescreen setting that, like Pes said, did nothing. That's why I assumed I'd have to tinker with the game itself somehow, but I guess I wasn't clear on that in my OP.

I have tried to change to lower graphics settings in the in-game menu, but it didn't work. I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 November 29, 20:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you are running it Windowed, the resolution must necessarily be smaller than your desktop resolution is, or it overhang the edges of your desktop and not be visible.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Argon
Juvenile Jackass

What Would Brian Kinney Do?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 November 30, 00:28:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Resolutions below 768 vertical height will break up the game menus into the expanding junk. Since the native resolution on your monitor is 1024x768, you'd have to reduce the  vertical resolution. Thus, the stupid broken up menus.

There's no way around it, short of buying a new monitor. There is no magic setting that will avoid this, I tried using a lower resolution on my 16:10 (normal wide screen for pcs, real widescreen is 16:9) laptop and it broke up all the menus. Luckily my native resolution is 1440x900 on my laptop and 1680x1050 on my desktop so it's not an issue.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia Ge-Force GTS 450 1GB, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, WSXGA+ (1680x1050), Windows 7 Pro x64

Laptop: Sony VAIO VPCYB15KX, AMD Dual-Core E-350 1.60 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6310, WXGA (1366x768), Windows 7 Pro x86
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 November 30, 11:28:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm. From what I gather though, 1024x768 is a pretty common native resolution, which would mean that this is a very common problem - but I've pretty much only heard about it from two people before. Does everyone else just (wo)man up and bear it?

Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 November 30, 11:45:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think most people with 1024x768 monitors play in fullscreen mode, and so don't notice the problem (I don't use windowed mode that often, but when I do, this drives me up the wall).

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2007 November 30, 12:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right. Keep your fingers crossed I'm getting a new screen for my birthday, then. Wink

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 November 30, 15:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not trying to be snide (honestly), but do they still make monitors with native resolutions as low as 1024x768?
My 19" CRT monitor is at least five years old and it runs 1280x960, 32 bit colour, at 85 hertz, with no problem at all.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Khan of Wyrms
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 November 30, 16:23:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not trying to be snide (honestly), but do they still make monitors with native resolutions as low as 1024x768?
My 19" CRT monitor is at least five years old and it runs 1280x960, 32 bit colour, at 85 hertz, with no problem at all.

It is my understanding that CRT monitors do not suffer from native resolution issues, since CRT monitors do not have a native resolution.  Although, 1024x768 does seem a bit low for a native resolution.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 November 30, 18:30:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Gwill swears to CRT monitors for that exact reason

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 November 30, 21:37:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, this is what I get for thinking I know what I'm talking about - Mr Kofi says this is a CRT monitor, which means this is a non-issue?

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 December 01, 08:38:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's big and bulky it's a CRT monitor.  If it's flat and slim it's an LCD monitor.  It's hard to get them mixed up if you know that.
Is it possible to set the resolution higher than 1024x768?  Try it.  You might have to skimp on some of the other settings, but unless you're a photoshop pro you can go from 32-bit colour to 16-bit without noticing much difference.  And unless you spend more than 8 hours a day in front of said monitor, the frequency could be lowered to around 70 or75 hertz.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 December 01, 10:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know why I thought I couldn't change the settings, but of course I could. I changed the resolution and now the menus aren't broken up anymore.

Feel free to poke for stupidity.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 December 01, 21:19:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*poke*

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 December 01, 21:39:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: