More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 21:02:39

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Stocking defective goods in shops
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Stocking defective goods in shops  (Read 11336 times)
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
Stocking defective goods in shops
« on: 2007 November 09, 16:07:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When robots are made at the crafting station, there is a certain margin for failure.  However when employees are assigned to make many robots they automatically put their finished item in the owner's inventory regardless of its state.  Furthermore, anyone assigned to restock items will put goods on display regardless of their state of repair, and customers will buy broken goods without a second thought.

If you watch your crafting stations like a hawk and spot a faulty item as it is finished you can pull it from the owner inventory right away and have someone fix it.  Other than that I don't see any other way to enforce certain quality standards.  Is it possible to chain a repair interaction after a defective unit is made?

doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Stocking defective goods in shops
« Reply #1 on: 2007 November 09, 16:58:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apart from being generally rather useless the robots broke almost immediately when my sims tried them (regardless of badges or mechanical knowledge), so it does not really make a big difference if they are already broken when they are sold. I am sorry to have to tell you, but you are not selling a quality product in the first place.

The jack-in-the-box with the devil inside is sorted as a different category and will only be used to restock others of the same kind.
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 November 09, 17:15:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a hack here on the site which makes robot breakage less frequent.  I'm not saying it makes them hugely better, but there are a couple of robots that are worth using when they go for long periods without breaking down.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 November 09, 17:29:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was not aware this was a serious problem with robots, since any robot you buy will soon be broken anyway, and it is a trivial matter for a sim to fix it. Heck, even when they work, they're not exactly USEFUL. Broken snapdragons is a much more serious concern, since even having the item on the shop floor is hazardous. We recommend you not employ crafters who do not have platinum state, which seems to eliminate craft failure.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 November 11, 09:55:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interestingly (or not) enough, when you improve your badge it doesn't eliminate the chance of failure for the items you've already learned to make.  Even having figured out how to build a flying robot, you can still screw up making a basic toy robot.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 November 11, 10:04:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fail odds are tied to aspirational level, platinum = no fail, non-platinum = fail. Don't use nonplatinum crafters for snapdragons. For other goods, where it's unimportant if they do it right, it doesn't matter.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 November 12, 07:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interestingly (or not) enough, when you improve your badge it doesn't eliminate the chance of failure for the items you've already learned to make.  Even having figured out how to build a flying robot, you can still screw up making a basic toy robot.
It seems a little different with toy making. They seem to fail only at the hardest items they can make at their badge level. A gold-badge Sim only fails at Water Wiggler, but almost never fails at Kite or Clown-in-a-Box even in the red aspiration. Similarly, a silver-badge Sim only fails at Kite, and never fails at Clown-in-a-Box. I'm actually a little disappointed that they lose the ability to make evil toys when they hit permaplat. I LIKE evil toys, they are much funnier. Grin

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 November 12, 08:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not sure about that.  I had a servo with max all skills and badges, in constant aspiration failure, and he made all kinds of broken toys.  But broken toys are annoyingly rare.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 November 12, 08:42:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Undiscovered Shiny which causes Evil Toys to be the standard for mean sims.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 November 12, 10:33:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gwill? That's your cue I believe? Mate?  Kiss

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 November 12, 15:43:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* Gwill jumps up and down!
Release silly shiny!

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 November 12, 16:26:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Undiscovered Shiny which causes Evil Toys to be the standard for mean sims.
Oooh. Putney Ridge would have soooo much fun with that. She's such an ass. Loves her twin and girlfriend to distraction, but is absolutely cruel to her little brother.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 November 13, 02:39:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are Evil Toys?  (Googling but not finding it.)

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 November 13, 02:42:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What are Evil Toys?  (Googling but not finding it.)
The evil kites, I believe. Sims got electrocuted when they play with them
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 November 13, 03:46:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is this a bug or a feature?  Please tell me it's a feature!  Any other evil toys?  Do they look different?

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
bowrain
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 November 13, 03:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A feature, and yeah they look different, they have this evil face instead of fancy colorful drawings on them. I don't recall any other evil toys, but i could be wrong
neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 November 13, 04:01:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are evil versions of all the toys Sims can make, I think. The evil jack-in-the-box is especially nice.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 November 13, 04:07:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That nails it.  I WANT EVIL TOYS.  I WANT THEM NOW DAMMIT.

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2007 November 13, 04:35:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are evil versions of all the toys Sims can make, I think. The evil jack-in-the-box is especially nice.
No, there are only three kinds of evil toys. (Clown-in-a-box, Kite and Water Wiggler)

More info about evil toys here: http://www.snootysims.com/infoindex.php?id=badges

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 November 13, 06:35:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh that's what the kite does. I've just been throwing them away/selling them as they are ugly. Now I see that they are a Knowledge sim's best friend. That's what I need to put Putney on (she's Knowledge). Then when she and Marjorie's three-bolt lovefest gets so annoying I can't stand her anymore and I feel like getting away from OMG twindom, she can play with the kite a little too much.

<insert evil laugh>

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 November 13, 19:25:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And don't forget the bad snapdragons -- if memory serves, they decrease nearby sims' motives, instead of increasing them, possibly to the point of death if the sim's needs are low enough.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 November 14, 06:53:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I could be mistaken, but don't the faulty craftables sell for less than the non-faulty ones? For example, when you sell a broken toy robot directly from inventory, it sells for a bit less than the perfect ones. Doesn't this also work with the OFB shelves? Personally, I choose to think of it as 'scratch and dent' merchandise being sold for a discount.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 November 14, 07:20:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope. Prices are prestamped onto the item, so what you restock with doesn't affect anything. In fact, to a great degree, prices are simply entirely arbitrary.

Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 November 14, 10:16:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Prices are prestamped onto the item, so what you restock with doesn't affect anything.

This can be exploited when running a bakery. Prices of meals cooked from fresh food is higher than normal food. Initially stock the bakery with goods cooked from fresh food. Once you set the price, restocked goods cooked from normal food will be sold at the initial higher price unless you reset the price.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 November 14, 17:26:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There really isn't a point to trying to "exploit" anything. You can just use the "custom price" tag when a sim sets the price of an item to set any arbitrary price you want. Unless you go COMPLETELY overboard, and that's pretty damn hard, you can just set anything you damn well please. I sell the damn things off for $1000 each, no problem. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: