More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 12:16:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Crash on resized lots at 7PM -- any ideas?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Crash on resized lots at 7PM -- any ideas?  (Read 152541 times)
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
Re: Crash on resized lots at 7PM -- any ideas?
« Reply #250 on: 2007 November 05, 16:55:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Of course, the keyword is "playable" - maybe I will agree with you when I playtested the houses more. But its good even if you can make them for deco. Time will tell.
nil
Blathering Buffoon

nil is just an orphan and doesn't own anything.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2007 November 08, 18:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Omg, I think I killed the discussion here somehow as well.  Undecided

Stop staring at me, stop following me, stop stalking me, stop spying on me, stop petting me, stop touching me, stop pressuring on me, STOP!
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2007 November 09, 06:13:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still playing them, although i'm past just 'testing" them.

Interesting observations: If you can just get past that first day in the house, everything works fine thereafter.  I had a great deal of trouble, though, getting past the first day on a vacation lot using one of my own packaged 1x1's.  I tweaked the lot a couple of times in build mode, but it still crashed when I moved a family in.  Finally, I tried repainting and changing the roof, which I Had done before successfully.  Strangely, that worked.  I haven't done an exhaustive test on this, but I wonder if just changing the roof in unoccupied build mode is enough to fix the lot.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: 2007 November 09, 06:51:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This might sound silly, but why don't you try packaging the lots without roofs, no 'roof flat tiles, anything. Leave the lot open at the top. Then when the lot is placed, whoever has downloaded it can go into it in unoccupied build mode and add a roof. Might just work if what Doc Doofus is saying about changing the roof colours is all he needs to do. Wink

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2007 November 09, 07:25:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose you never really do until you see evidence of it, which could happen quite a ways down the line.  But I have been playing with these for several nights now and I have seen no suggestions of on-going corruption.  And I'm going to continue playing it for the foreseeable future, so I'll report back if anything unusual comes up. 

Have you had reports of any corruption?  You have been posting these on the net for a while now (I haven't been following the MTS2 thread) so you would know if anybody has experienced that.
It's very unlikely that this condition would corrupt anything, because the game simply crashes and burns spectacularly, preventing the data from saving.

There is only one condition under which this could potentially damage the game saves, and that is if a character was created in that session: I have noticed that the game will write out character files for characters that should not have been committed to disk yet, as can be seen when doing CAS on totally deleted neighborhood, and if the game were to terminate unexpectedly, those files would get left behind, gunking up your data.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2007 November 09, 10:15:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is only one condition under which this could potentially damage the game saves, and that is if a character was created in that session: I have noticed that the game will write out character files for characters that should not have been committed to disk yet, as can be seen when doing CAS on totally deleted neighborhood, and if the game were to terminate unexpectedly, those files would get left behind, gunking up your data.

A-ha .. thanks for that info. Might that be an explanation for why only CAS sims seemed to crash? The game writing those character files before/during/after the shrinking business, I mean?

why don't you try packaging the lots without roofs, no 'roof flat tiles, anything. Leave the lot open at the top. Then when the lot is placed, whoever has downloaded it can go into it in unoccupied build mode and add a roof.

Firstly, I'm not going to package any shrunk lots (and I hope nobody else will either) before this isn't fixed; secondly you can't add roofs edge to edge on any lot (except allegedly hipped auto-roofs), so it wouldn't work anyway.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2007 November 09, 10:28:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A-ha .. thanks for that info. Might that be an explanation for why only CAS sims seemed to crash? The game writing those character files before/during/after the shrinking business, I mean?
I honestly don't know why CAS sims crash. Does this only afflict CAS sims fresh off the boat, or does it also afflict sims that, at one point, may have originated as CAS sims, but have been played for some time? What about born-in-game? It is entirely possible that the CAS-sim issue is purely a red herring. I would imagine the true issue is still objects being placed in illegal places on the lot. Clearly, there is something about walls that is bad for the game when the wall is placed flush with the edge of the lot. Does the problem entirely go away when the wall is set one tile in (the game normally insists regular walls be two tiles in, but greenhouse walls can be placed at one tile)? Clearly fences do not trigger the problem. What about if the wall is placed such that only the edges run into the side? You could simply leave that "edge" unsealed, as it is offworld anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
nil
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2007 November 09, 12:02:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado,

Actually, I've manually made a 14x20 lot as the smallest overlapping lots for rowhouses.
Since it's done manually, I can't be expected to edit the arrays chunk by chunk to go to both the left and the right of the lot.

So, in this instance, the 4 block rows are on the left hand of the lot.

Here's the link to reach that lot download "Moi_DR14x20_LightdeFL.rar"
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost.php?p=1791493&postcount=295

Also just in case for those who may be interested, that post has shown how the lot terrain is easily switched.

As for lots with just walls @ the edges, I've not come across a crash at all so far personally.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost.php?p=1811531&postcount=859

However, the roof tests got me in questions.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost.php?p=1814222&postcount=963
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost.php?p=1815065&postcount=989
Only the half gabled roof with 3 attic walls at the edges had crashed by the day/night toggle @ build mode but then no more crash on newer instances of that same build feature and the only difference is the saved fixed lot was then rotated in the same neighbourhood.  Gonna test if that's a factor.

Roofs crossing the trimmed and the reserved absolutely caused crashes on loading in all cases in my experiments.   That fits in pbox's roof test results.
However, new CAS families can still move in and played well for at least a sims day!  There's at least the shadowing problem.  The arrays for it was clearly messed up.

Please note I "clamped" the neighbourhood.package file and sometimes even the lot package file with simpe to avoid over-writing on these files in the experiments.  I might delete the tmp files as well or let them replace dependent on if the testing resulted in a crash.

« Last Edit: 2007 November 09, 12:15:28 by nil » Logged

Stop staring at me, stop following me, stop stalking me, stop spying on me, stop petting me, stop touching me, stop pressuring on me, STOP!
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2007 November 09, 12:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason for the 2-square limit on walls (but not on fences) might have to do with things like box windows, which can extend out from the window an extra space or two.

I have had crashes with NON-CAS Sims...  But the problem is more reproducible using CAS Sims, so it makes more sense to test it that way.

This may be bullshit speculation, but I think the problem has to do with something not getting initialized correctly.  Perhaps tweaking the building just the right way causes the game to do some necessary housecleaning that removes the problem.

The ones that I build in my BV game work fine every time, but the ones that I plop down as new copies from a PACKAGED version of that same house seem to have problems that require a build-mode tweaking to correct.

PBox or somebody said that there were reports on MTS2 of somebody having problems with a house that had a flat roof.  I haven't tried that.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: 2007 November 09, 12:38:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: pbox
why don't you try packaging the lots without roofs, no 'roof flat tiles, anything. Leave the lot open at the top. Then when the lot is placed, whoever has downloaded it can go into it in unoccupied build mode and add a roof.

Firstly, I'm not going to package any shrunk lots (and I hope nobody else will either) before this isn't fixed; secondly you can't add roofs edge to edge on any lot (except allegedly hipped auto-roofs), so it wouldn't work anyway.

I didn't mean offer them for general download, I meant for testing purposes. I can't see these lots ever working anyway and I wouldn't ever either 1) make one for general download or 2) download one for playing with.

ps. You came across as very rude and terse in your post. All that was lacking was a emotie giving me the finger or saying 'you suck'.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2007 November 09, 12:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I've manually made a 14x20 lot as the smallest overlapping lots for rowhouses.
Since it's done manually, I can't be expected to edit the arrays chunk by chunk to go to both the left and the right of the lot.
Is that a legal lot size? I thought neighborhood terrain was parceled out in 10x10 blocks as a minimum size quantum? So how is it that you can make a *14* size lot? Wouldn't this still be a 2x2?

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: 2007 November 09, 13:00:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It can be done.  I accidentally made an L-shaped 11x10 lot when I was testing shrinking manually.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2007 November 09, 13:24:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does the game think of this, though? Is this treated as 2x2 or an oddly-shaped 1x1?

ps. You came across as very rude and terse in your post. All that was lacking was a emotie giving me the finger or saying 'you suck'.
Have you forgotten where you are, EMMA? But anyway, ALL EMMAS SUCK.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: 2007 November 09, 13:41:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What does the game think of this, though? Is this treated as 2x2 or an oddly-shaped 1x1?

Have you forgotten where you are, EMMA? But anyway, ALL EMMAS SUCK.

*smacks forehead

Of course, this is Maty-all good manners must be left at the door before ye enter Tongue

nil
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2007 November 09, 14:16:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado,

It's the neighbourhood presentation limitted to 10x10 tiles scheme in terms of the scale measurement in lot (lot grids).
so, a lot can be 30x30 in its size in terms of lot grids while its presentation in the neighbourhood  can be 1x1, 1x2, 5x6 or a matching one 2x3 or 3x2.
Or even vice versa, 7x7 in the neighbourhood can represent a 20x20 lot.
Note the lot's actual location can be switched or tweaked from its original location.

The 14x20 lot I made has 1x1 presentation in the neighbourhood view, so you can see how the rowhouse illusion can be approached.
Since there'll be no after-build or after-play lot shrinking, it's assumed to be as safe as the mini plain lots.  After all, manual resizing relies on the game engine to do the rests to fix the arrays by itself, so we assume the game engine can presently fix better than adding or trimming arrays.

But if we can figure out all the essential precautions, LA may eventually do a better job with more features.

The expected largest and most stable lot is still 64x64.  I'll release it once tested more and longer in more instances... 

But so far, these manually resized plain lots are working fine just like the mini lots in my experiences.  Surely, anyone if interested can download them to test.  They're all attached in the MTS2 R&D thread.  Search "14x20" and/or "64x64" in that thread.

Yet, to get the "ideal" type of row-house, we're still looking forwards to any solution to the shrinking method.
« Last Edit: 2007 November 09, 14:35:12 by nil » Logged

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: 2007 November 09, 14:56:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yet, to get the "ideal" type of row-house, we're still looking forwards to any solution to the shrinking method.

As far as I am concerned the feature is completed and working, in my game Smiley  It hasn't yet crashed for me, and frankly I don't mind if it does, I will just load the game up again.  I might move the family out of that particular house if I can't play it Smiley

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2007 November 09, 21:09:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The 14x20 lot I made has 1x1 presentation in the neighbourhood view, so you can see how the rowhouse illusion can be approached.
Since there'll be no after-build or after-play lot shrinking, it's assumed to be as safe as the mini plain lots.  After all, manual resizing relies on the game engine to do the rests to fix the arrays by itself, so we assume the game engine can presently fix better than adding or trimming arrays.
This is an interesting area for study, as an alternative to the current LotExpander shrinking feature.  However, I don't believe that we can consider this to be safe, just because these lots aren't shrunk.  I'd need more evidence that the game is able to properly handle lots with mismatched sizes.

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
nil
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2007 November 10, 04:42:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol, the walls at the edges are all working fine with me personally just like Inge's experiences.

Most roofs are working well in my base game as well except the one in question.

I guess people can just build their walls, foundations, half-walls and roofs (those can't built on the whole last grid row at the edges) before lot shrinking and build the rests (including windows, doors, garages, etc...) after the lot shrinking.  That should be a safer approach than trimming a fully built lot.  Crossing walls, roofs, halfwalls on both the trimmed and the reserved is still regarded as a no-no unless it's for experiments.

lol, 14x20 and 64x64 lots are working well in my experiments and so I personally think they're safe... Cheesy in my game copies, settings, and usages.
Sorry, there was a defect in that 14x20 copy but now fixed. please re-download that one for testing.
Please note that currently, any new 2D array added may use 41 instead of 57, and now I'm considering to make the 2D arrays values to follow the next 10x scheme for foreseeable additions.

After all, I'll test them further... Cheesy  I shan't test them in EP4 or SP...  Those I shan't buy and personally don't want them unless someone give them to me as gifts so then I may have a copy of them.

the greenhouse fence may just well support that the last 2nd lining may not be as significant to be limitted to built on. After all, there might have been fixes on this since EP5. remember, EP 5 is actually a big-fix patch to improve and enhance the game interface and that's what Maxis should head on.  Maxis needn't create beautiful meshes or texturing, modders know what they like best and do their arts.  Maxis needs make the object bases to facilitate modders' creations or arts and  improve and enhance the game interface.  I guess I said this over and over.  And seemingly, Maxis has picked this up by chance or what.

PS. the sauna room is an interesting object to study for walls.

All in all, I personally still want the row houses by means of shrinking the lots.
« Last Edit: 2007 November 10, 08:42:19 by nil » Logged

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2007 November 10, 06:01:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

lol, 14x20 and 64x64 lots are working well in my experiments and so I personally think they're safe... Cheesy in my game copies, settings, and usages.
Just tried playing your 14x20 lot.  Crashed within a minute or so of starting to play.  Tried again, crashed again.  It really doesn't like adding maxis-made terrain paints.
« Last Edit: 2007 November 10, 06:13:58 by Mootilda » Logged

nil
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2007 November 10, 08:54:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mootilda,,

Sorry for a defect in that copy. My mistake...
I've updated the post for the download, and I'm now pretty sure the lot texture also affects the terrain painting.
Please re-download it for further testing... Smiley

eek, I can't replicate what I did now...
The shadowing doesn't go the way it was...

Now, I doubt myself too about these lots ...

« Last Edit: 2007 November 10, 10:23:31 by nil » Logged

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: 2007 November 10, 09:18:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now... is *that* possibly what's causing the crashing?  Terrain paints on the shrunk bit?   I know terrain paints have been implicated in crashing in other contexts.

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2007 November 10, 20:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for a defect in that copy. My mistake...
I've updated the post for the download, and I'm now pretty sure the lot texture also affects the terrain painting.
Please re-download it for further testing... Smiley
Not a problem.  Thanks for the update.  I'll try it again, when I get a chance.

In general, I think that these mismatched-size lots are an interesting area of study... I'm just not sure that the game will like them any better than the shrunken lots, in the long term.  I was really pleased to see that I could add a wall to the left lot edge without any problems at all - this would be cooler than shrunken lots (since the edges are buildable), if we could get it to work.

Now... is *that* possibly what's causing the crashing?  Terrain paints on the shrunk bit?   I know terrain paints have been implicated in crashing in other contexts.
No, I doubt it.  After I got the crash with niol's lot, I tried adding terrain paints to various of my shrunken lots without any problem.

Then again, I've never added terrain paints *before* shrinking - that's an completely different test.  Could someone see whether there's a correlation between terrain paints on the original lots and crashing on the shrunken lots?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: 2007 November 10, 20:55:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll go test that now.  I have just tested a width-shrunk beach lot and that worked fine in spite of some wave machines stranded off-lot trying to animate invisibly without a location to do it in.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: 2007 November 10, 21:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope - no crash even with shrunk-off groundpaint.  Sad   I feel as if I don't fit in!  Everyone else has managed to make at least *one* crashing lot

Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2007 November 10, 22:05:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope - no crash even with shrunk-off groundpaint.  Sad   I feel as if I don't fit in!  Everyone else has managed to make at least *one* crashing lot
Not me.  No crashes with any of my shrunken lots.  Then again, I haven't been trying very hard.  I've probably only played a few hours in the last 2 months.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: