More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 11:31:46

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What are the advantages of a Vacation hood over a regular subhood?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What are the advantages of a Vacation hood over a regular subhood?  (Read 4136 times)
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
What are the advantages of a Vacation hood over a regular subhood?
« on: 2007 October 20, 03:09:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want owned shops in my vacation land.

I know this can't be done in a real vacation hood.  I'm thinking of attaching a new subhood and making it a vacation spot.

I can make locals who will actually live in houses and own businesses.  I could also makeover the local townies to match the theme.

That brings up the first question - does each subhood have its own pool of townies?  I know the Universities share their townies.  If I install a second downtown, will it share townies with the other downtown?

The main question is, what can only be put in a vacation hood?  The secret Bigfoot lot?  The witchdoctor hut? 

I have a hack to allow sleeping on community lots, so fake hotels are no problem.  The tents work in all hoods, right?  I know, silly question, but then again this game is weird sometimes.
behold_the_muse
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: What are the advantages of a Vacation hood over a regular subhood?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 20, 05:42:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think sims would get memories of traveling to a subhood, even with hotels. I guess you could run a shopping district as a resort town and pretend townies are on holiday there and sell them touristy stuffs. (I love your stories, by the way! I know you can come up with some crazy stuff to sell townies Smiley)
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 20, 07:49:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Multiple downtowns use the same set of downtownies.

I haven't tried making a new vacation hood from scratch, but I would bet, if the trend holds, that the new vacation hood would use the same local townies as the other vacation hood of the same type, like asian with asian, tropical with tropical, mountain with mountain.

It would be interesting to own a business on a vacation lot, if you could ever figure out how to do that.

You can set up a hotel in your main neigborhood or a suburb.  You can visit it like any commercial lot, but you can also check into a room and stay for as long as you like.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 20, 08:02:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As for what can only be put in a vacation hood - the secret lots, for sure. The game needs the destination type (Far East, mountains, island) for the correct NPC to spawn. A lot of actions are destination dependent, too - you can't go on tours, and I don't think you can learn the massages. Plus, you won't get the vacation memories.

Most of the other mementos can be gained "at home" - trink tea, play mahyong, eat local food etc., because the objects needed for that are available in the main hood, too. The tents should work in all hoods.

You can set up a hotel in your main neigborhood or a suburb.  You can visit it like any commercial lot, but you can also check into a room and stay for as long as you like.

Are the sims charged correctly for the stay? That would be a nice opportunity to burn some cash without having to go on vacation.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 20, 08:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just wondering, is it possible to run a home business from a vacation home?
Probably not.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Doc Doofus
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 20, 11:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Charged correctly at a local hotel?  Yes.  Actually, there is a hotel that comes in the "specialty lot" bin, ready to be plopped down anywhere you want, so you can try it out.  I put mine in Pleasantville.  Worked fine.

Operate a business while on vacation?  No.  You can't visit any lots that aren't in the vacation hood.  And the Start Home Business action isn't available on the phone.   

However, you can freelance doing music or fire dance or freestyle at the park. 

I have never got a bill in the mail while staying at a vacation home.  That's one minor relief.

Medusa stared at the two creatures approaching her across the Piazza and, instantly recognizing them as Spanish Gorgons, attempted to stall them by greeting them in their native tongue, "Gorgons, Hola!"
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 20, 12:17:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can also write novels and paint and sell paintings.

I only posted that so I could say 'Awwwww, Gwill! Your avatar!'

* Emma melts at the cuteness overload

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 21, 11:04:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

behold_the_muse  - I'm glad you like my stories.  Now I can sneak in a link to my archives.   Wink

http://spiritworldfiles.com/nocommente/

I appreciate all the input.  I had hope for Gwill's suggestion and tried it before Doc Doofus posted that it doesn't work.

I really want my sims to be able to buy T-shirts on vacation.  I also have all kinds of custom trinkets I've downloaded that would make perfect souveniers.  I'm going to mull this over and maybe play around a little more in the test hood.  And now that I think about it the clothing rack might work on a vacation lot.  It was originally designed for unowned lots.  Hmmm.

notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 21, 11:23:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every premade vacation neighborhood has at least one lot that sells clothes.

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 21, 11:56:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha, thanks!  I obviously need to do more poking around in the vacation hoods.

I'm still disappointed that we can't sell loads of tourist junk.  I think I'll make a few "My best friend went to Twikki (sp?) and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" shirts to cheer myself up. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: