More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 14:27:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Did EAxis bork sharing beach front lots too?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Did EAxis bork sharing beach front lots too?  (Read 16200 times)
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
Re: Did EAxis bork sharing beach front lots too?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 October 20, 03:04:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, only lots built on SC's terrain can be placed there, and then you have to be careful, but I placed Emma's lot fine, not even knowing where it was "supposed" to go, and so have others, on Twikkii. It makes me think something else weird is going on there.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 October 20, 14:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Emma told me that lots of folks are having problems with it, too, so who knows -- maybe placing other new lots on Twikkii first (regular, not beach) messes with the terrain enough that it prevents hers from being added even though the other lots are nowhere near where hers is supposed to go.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2007 October 20, 15:37:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could be right, sometimes when I place lots on certain terrains, I see a 'shift' in another part of the terrain nowhere near where I placed the lot! The Bluewater terrain is notorious for it.

doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 October 20, 16:23:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just want to add to this incase anyone didn't already know...

In the neighborhood decorations there are now 2 kinds of "waves" to place along shorlines.  The original has the light & dark sand appearance to enhance the look of waves lapping the shore.  The new one doesn't have that sand and you can place it on lots.  With the original you can't do that.  Aside from slopes and all that jazz, which I am sure is important, I just want to point out that I opened a lot of previously unusable space on Twikki Island by deleting the shore lines where I wanted to put beach lots. 

Maybe it would help you, maybe it won't.  Just sayin.

That was extremely helpful. I was really annoyed that there were these empty plots along the beach on Twikki island where you could place ordinary lots but no beach lots, because I wanted some families to own beach lot holiday homes. I had already started to think about creating another location, but I wanted the Twikki locals. After removing the waves I could place three beach lots along that one road. I am very happy.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 October 20, 21:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know how this would affect already built beach lots but:

I  too was pissed at the lack of beach front property on TI, so I tried the slope value change (at MTS2 by boatnana) files and this allowed better beach lot placement...well ok I didn't actually PLACE the lots, but I hovered over the beach front terrain (on several terrains too) and the beach lots turned green indicating I could place them.

I just had an issue trying to enter a lot from 3 Lakes, which had placed fine, in another vacation destination on another hood--hung the game until I finally had to 'end process' to get out.

Maybe sharing vacation lots is not going to work well?
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 October 20, 21:35:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like placing a "house" is the same as dictating what the terrain looks like.

What they really *should* be doing is finding the outline of the house so that the house can be applied to whatever terrain you place it in. But maybe this is a case of nobody remembers how to code that because that's all SC4 code.  Tongue

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 October 23, 13:31:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had any trouble placing beach lots I have built on my flat terrains, usually I place multiple copies of them to save time. Some have been placed in different hoods (using one of my flat terrains) with no trouble either.

I don't usually download other peoples lots so I have no experience with trying other peoples beach lots. I wouldn't even try placing a downloaded beach lot that has any kind of slope on one of my flat terrains, it'd probably break/mangle them.

But... I do understand other peoples frustrations over this problem. I am planning on trying to make a couple terrains (or atleast one) soon that have different sections of beach, with different levels of terrain. maybe that will help?  not sure how well I'll do but I can atleast try  Grin 

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 October 23, 17:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no problems placing lots built on your flat terrain anywhere else on flat terrain. So I'd stick with those, instead of trying to make different slopes.  It's the sloped lots that bork the neighborhood in the first place, as Pes has long warned us about.  It's too bad EA didn't listen.  Roll Eyes

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007 October 24, 15:47:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

good! saves me from the headaches I would have gotten trying to do different levels for beach lots *laughs*   
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 October 24, 16:09:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

good! saves me from the headaches I would have gotten trying to do different levels for beach lots *laughs*   

I generally do what you do - build my own lots (apart from one or two EAxis houses that I use for "emergency move ins" when a house isn't ready when a sim graduates from uni).  If I want to keep the house, I generally make sure that it is built on flat terrain so it transfers nicely from hood to hood.  On the other hand, I have a couple of non-flat lots where I like the house enough that I use it anyway.  I have never managed to get beyond Gen3 on a hood anyway before I feel like seeing something and someone new, so the "your uneven lot will bork your hood" problem has not affected me so far.  Admittedly, the uneven lots are not beach lots, so I have not run into problems placing them. 

My beach hut and beachfront comm lot were built using your flat terrain and I have had no problem transplanting them so far.  On the other hand, I will probably continue to build other lots as I need them (all that mucking about with clean installer and finding downloadable lots is too much work, and I get more satisfaction from having sims live in something I have built myself).

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 October 24, 16:17:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh. Saish (community lot, two-story loft restaurant and a club up top) is my favorite lot of mine and it was originally built into a mountain in Urban Paradise. It completely screws the terrain when moved, but as I put it Downtown and never look at Downtown in 'hood view, who cares? My current Downtown has only six lots, and I haven't seen it since Gen 2. Queen's Cove is self-sufficient.

I'm on Gen 4 with this 'hood...two Gen 4'ers are children, the rest mere thoughts. UP got to Gen 11 of my Alphabet family, with a couple of others on Gen 3.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 October 24, 16:35:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm on Gen 4 with this 'hood...two Gen 4'ers are children, the rest mere thoughts. UP got to Gen 11 of my Alphabet family, with a couple of others on Gen 3.

Oakenwald was my first real hood (after "orientation" in Pleasantview).  It's still on the drive and works (kinda - this was started before I came to MATY, so it may have some pre-apocalyptic "issues").  I use a couple of houses from there.  The sims are gen1-4 (gen 1 is headed for the last hula roundup and gen 4 is infants).

Mittelschmerz is my big clean-custom hood.  It has Gen 3 just starting now, and Gen 1 is edging into elderhood (I have an unfortunate tendency to have sim adults drink elixir like cool-ade, so they don't age up that fast).

I'm really into Pango-Pango, my beach hood.  This hood is about 2 RL weeks old and has only 1 playable family, started by my self-sim.  He's married now and "my" spawn, little Alex is at the bashing blocks into the logic toy and chewing on them stage.  I'm hoping to stick with this hood a bit longer.  I want to incorporate an alien overlord theme into whatever story is there.

I keep saying that I'll go back and play in Oakenwald sometime (I left it after I killed off 90% of a founding family for the crime of having weak chins and long noses - there was a terrible satellite crashing disaster...in the bathroom...and a bedroom...and right by the carpool).  Unfortunately, after 4 months, I have kind of forgotten all their names.  I cloned my favourite sims from there and they show up under different names in all my hoods, usually as townies.

Old hoods are, at the moment, a scavenging ground for houses/lots.  I tend to re-use comm lots that I build and like as well.  Building new ones has its drawbacks (eg. I always forget that there should really be a bathroom somewhere on the lot). 

With the beach hood and the problems with moving beach lots around, I thought it safest to build a beach comm lot, and so the Pango Mall was born, without a bathroom.  It was renovated quickly after the first peeing accident. 

Tribulatio proxima est
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 October 24, 18:11:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only community lot that has potties on QC is the public beach--which is technically a residential with a ticket biz $10/hr, 8am-8pm daily. They still don't use them much, preferring to spend their time slapdancing, passing out from heat stroke, and, in the case of Stella Young, kicking everyone's ass. When it gets truly terribly hot and I have someone man the lemonade stand, then they use the public toilets. At the 1x1 lvl 10 convenience store, 1x2 lvl 9 art store, and 2x2 lvl 3 "massage" parlour, no potties. Customers go in, do their business (or in the parlour, each other) and get the heck out. Of course, I've decided that the next sim who whines to Edmund Young about the unmade bed they just got done woohooing in, I'm smiting them.

I never reuse houses between 'hoods. I have a couple in the lot bin, but they were townhouses I had in Urban Paradise that I can't bring myself to delete. Most of Queen's Cove has very singular homes...some totally random creations and my favorite being from a houseplan site (pic below)...that's where the Alien Overlords are making their home. They are completely accidental natural abductions. I have the best pic of Tre as a toddler staring down a stray at night. So scary, but very dark. All my playables but one have either blue eyes or the grey-green geneticized recessive custom ones I'm trying to keep in play.

I really need to add a true shopping center (the convenience store only has magazines, frozen foods, cell phones, boom boxes, and souvenirs), but I want to do a farm first and don't have enough spares to start one. That really should be placed outside of Badger Square (affluent section) and be run by one of the affluent sims with all employees of the lower class. Meh. Might switch it around. Kennedy Young's branch has almost $200,000 in the hopper from the convenience store and Stella's novels.

Gen 1's already dead and gone. Gen 2 is halfway there, but prematurely since Logan's wife Laura's ghost scared him to death right after reaching elderhood.

« Last Edit: 2007 October 25, 00:59:59 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007 October 24, 19:18:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I can't bring myself to cheat abductions.  I'm just sending my selfsim out every night to stargaze.  He needs the logic points for his LTW anyway.  Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Just so as not to derail this thread completely, did I mention that the telescope is on a perfectly flat beach lot?  Very scenic.

* jolrei admires sleepycat's work on the terrain again. *

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: