More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 09:06:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Securom and denying it permission from the registry, anyone know how?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Securom and denying it permission from the registry, anyone know how?  (Read 18806 times)
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Securom and denying it permission from the registry, anyone know how?
« on: 2007 October 16, 23:39:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am wondering if any one knows how to use permissions that is found by right clicking on the file in the registry and choosing permissions. I have noticed that administrator rights can be denied or allowed full control. I have also notice an advanced security settings with these administrator rights. I am not sure how to work these.
I am interested in knowing how to worik the permission section of the software folder. Mostly will this do anything to disable it.
Thanks in advance. Smiley

« Last Edit: 2007 October 16, 23:50:10 by Lucrecia Borja » Logged
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Re: Securom and denying it permission from the registry, anyone know how?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 October 17, 00:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You really shouldn't be playing with permissions in the registry. There is no reason for you to tinker with any of them.  You especially don't want to start removing administrator access.  If you want to lock down your system, what you can do is make your user account type to limited.  This means that when you are logged with this user, you will have limited rights to make system changes and install program.  When you need to make  changes, you'll need to log into the admin account.  I can't vouch for how that works.  Badly would be my guess, from limited previous experience. 

Oh since you mention securom, I am not sure this will help prevent it's installation.  It's my understanding that Securom gets around the little detail of insufficient access rights.  If you want to avoid it altogether, use a no CD hack.  Look in the other threads for details on how to.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 October 17, 06:13:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW It's spelled Lucrezia Borgia for future reference.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 October 17, 14:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the correct spelling. Frankly my dear I do not give a F__k. If you do not know of what I am talking about in regards to my post do not reply. If on the other hand you do then please give me some information. I am not here to be trolled or hi-jacked I just have a question.

Thank you to the first poster, that posted but I am not interested in a cracked copy at this time.  I just would like to know if I can just some how disable this software in my computer but not remove it. Thank you both again.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 17, 16:50:32 by Lucrecia Borja » Logged
sluggo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 October 17, 14:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the correct spelling. Frankly my dear I do not give a dam. If you do not know of what I am talking about in regards to my post do not reply. If on the other hand you do then please give me some information. I am not here to be trolled or hi-jacked I just have a question.

Thank you to the first poster, that posted but I am not interested in a cracked copy at this time.  I just would like to know if I can just some how disable this software in my computer but not remove it. Thank you both again.

Ouch. Suddenly this place is over run by people that can't take criticism.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 October 17, 14:49:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just wondering where s/he got a dam.  Is it a beaver dam?  I know that none of the major dams are privately owned.  Perhaps s/he built a dam in the back yard, and doesn't want to give it up?
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 October 17, 15:08:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the correct spelling. Frankly my dear I do not give a dam. If you do not know of what I am talking about in regards to my post do not reply. If on the other hand you do then please give me some information. I am not here to be trolled or hi-jacked I just have a question.

Well, then you're in the wrong place.  What is it with idiots coming in here and telling us how to behave? Go away, and take your dam with you.

No disable, only remove, then use cracked exe to prevent it coming back.  Or just don't play BV.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 October 17, 15:33:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the correct spelling. Frankly my dear I do not give a dam.

Well, then you're in the wrong place.  What is it with idiots coming in here and telling us how to behave? Go away, and take your dam with you.

You get that sort of idiot everywhere - they bust in somewhere and then expect the place to change to suit them.  Unfortunately, most places are "nice" and try to accommodate people like this, which is generally a fatal error, as this causes the original members to leave.

@OP - LURK MOAR.  You will find we care about spelling and the basic stuff like not insulting the inMATYs in your first couple of posts.  You do not need a dam for that, you need a couple of brain cells (preferably trained) that rub together in useful ways.  A dam blocks things - apparently yours blocks spelling.  Don't give it to anyone here.  We don't want it.

Witch's post regarding your interesting manner in spelling your handle may be looked on as a test of your overall compatibility with the normal denizens of MATY.  From the posts above mine, it would appear that you fail.
« Last Edit: 2007 October 17, 16:10:42 by jolrei » Logged

Tribulatio proxima est
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 October 17, 15:37:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You gotta love MATY Cheesy  Nothing like a good snark fest in the morning ......

Any, as for disabling Securom, my guess would be that if you remove it, it will get reinstalled.  If you disable it, or interfere with it, it will prevent you from playing the game.  That's what it's designed for after all.

PS:  Good one Jolrei.  You might want to fix your /quote  Tongue
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 October 17, 16:03:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To the poster that suggest this.   No disable, only remove, then use cracked exe to prevent it coming back.  Or just don't play BV.
 Thank you for posting. I do understand that with some games this type of protection soft ware comes along with the package. I also know that with any software listed in the registry there is a section that the software will automaticly allow full control for the administrator. I find this permission section a bit confusing and was hoping that I could find someone that has knowledge of how to use this permission area.

This site came highly recommended to me. I was left with the impression that if anyone knows any thing about computer information, game information etc.  This is the place to go. I am not looking for chitty chat or anything else Just looking for information about my question.
So again Please if you know of what I am asking please reply. If you do not then please pass on this post.
Thank you to all that have posted. Most thanks to the ones that actually gave some information about my post.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 October 17, 16:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since you don't like the advice given, try Google. 
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 October 17, 16:26:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To the poster that suggest this.   No disable, only remove, then use cracked exe to prevent it coming back.  Or just don't play BV.

Right.  If it was simply a matter of disabling secuROM, it would probably have been discussed here already.  There are a lot of us concerned with this issue.  However, it is generally a bad idea to fool about with the permissions in the registry, especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing.  In any case, if there is a bit of malware on the system, why just disable it when you can get rid of it.  That's like closing a garbage bag and putting it in a corner of the living room because it's easier, rather than taking out the trash.  Counterintuitive=fail.

This site came highly recommended to me. I was left with the impression that if anyone knows any thing about computer information, game information etc.  This is the place to go. I am not looking for chitty chat or anything else Just looking for information about my question.

Yes, well, if you had bothered to check what sort of forum this was, you would (maybe) have noticed that there is a certain style to the place.  One thing that your high recommendations obviously did not tell you is that this is not a safe and polite place.  You have now been given advice.  Do with it what you want. 

As for your desire for "chitty chat", you came to MATY.  When you are with us, please do not criticise the way we carry on our normal life.  Manners are so important.  kthxbai. Angry

(@angelyne - thanks for the note - previous post edited. Tongue)

Tribulatio proxima est
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 October 17, 16:28:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you know of what I am asking??? Do you know how to use the registry??? I have googled it and have searched but nothing concrete. To the post above this one. IF you un install the software that has securom with it. You will have to do a full reformat of your computer.  I would just like to know if anyone has ever used this section of any software in the registry  and if they ever did a disable, and  did it keep it disabled?
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 October 17, 16:41:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just wondering where s/he got a dam.  Is it a beaver dam?  I know that none of the major dams are privately owned.  Perhaps s/he built a dam in the back yard, and doesn't want to give it up?

"I am your dam guide, Arnie, please don't wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?"
"Yeah, where can I get some damn bait?"

Sorry, I just woke up and am suffering coffee deprivation... Wink

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 October 17, 16:46:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right.  If it was simply a matter of disabling secuROM, it would probably have been discussed here already.  There are a lot of us concerned with this issue.  However, it is generally a bad idea to fool about with the permissions in the registry, especially if you don't know exactly what you're doing.  In any case, if there is a bit of malware on the system, why just disable it when you can get rid of it.  That's like closing a garbage bag and putting it in a corner of the living room because it's easier, rather than taking out the trash.  Counterintuitive=fail.

As far as my spyware programs I have not had it detected it as malware or rootkit.  However that more then likely is  not unusual as  securom is very tricky. I agree with you about a simple matter of disalbing that it would have been discussed and someone would have figured it out. That is what I am tring to do is figure it out and see if maybe it can just be disabled with out un installing the software. If you have not ever seen what I am talking about and if you have xp or vista. go to your registry and then go into HKey_Current_user. Then go into software and click on any of your software. then look for the word permission and check it out. Maybe it will give an idea as to what I am talking about.
I agree the best way would  be to un install and then reformat or just delete the protection program from the computer. If I am correct with that.  Thank you for posting.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 October 17, 16:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IF you un install the software that has securom with it. You will have to do a full reformat of your computer. 

You are seriously misinformed.  I strongly suggest you read the first thread stickied in this forum that tells you how to remove SecuROM without having to reformat.  And playing with the registry is a very bad thing if you don't know what you're doing, and in all my years in the computer field, I never heard of anyone disabling rather than removing stuff from the registry.  Probably because it's a really bad thing to do.

And a work of advice -- if you don't like the advice you're given, don't keep demanding new answers.  The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Read more, talk less, and do engage your fucking brain first.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 October 17, 16:52:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you know of what I am asking??? Do you know how to use the registry??? I have googled it and have searched but nothing concrete. To the post above this one. IF you un install the software that has securom with it. You will have to do a full reformat of your computer.  I would just like to know if anyone has ever used this section of any software in the registry  and if they ever did a disable, and  did it keep it disabled?

Excessive punctuation much?HuhHuh!!!

Feeling frustrated? Feeling out of sorts? Not able to use the "Search" function at the top of the page? Not able to ask for help nicely? Feel like getting poked with sharp pointy sticks?

Come to maty, we've got your sharp pointy sticks right here.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 October 17, 17:01:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are seriously misinformed.  I strongly suggest you read the first thread stickied in this forum that tells you how to remove SecuROM without having to reformat.  And playing with the registry is a very bad thing if you don't know what you're doing, and in all my years in the computer field, I never heard of anyone disabling rather than removing stuff from the registry.  Probably because it's a really bad thing to do.

And a work of advice -- if you don't like the advice you're given, don't keep demanding new answers.  The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Read more, talk less, and do engage your fucking brain first.

I have read that the only way to get it completely off after un installing lets say a game  is to do a full format of your hard drive. I understand that it is confusing about this protection software. I agree with removing instead of disabling. I was hoping that it could be done. Guess there is no real answer to this. Well I can tell you this if you try to disable it by using the security section of this perticular program, nothing bad happens. I have tried that much I can still play a game that has it.
Thanks for you info it is greatly noted. Thanks
« Last Edit: 2007 October 17, 17:23:18 by Lucrecia Borja » Logged
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 October 17, 17:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IF you un install the software that has securom with it. You will have to do a full reformat of your computer.  

Where, oh where, is a bunny with a pancake on its head when you need one?

@OP - Please, oh please, if you're going to keep posting, at least read the FAQ!  Especially the bit about how NOT to post.  It may have some tips that could help you with your quoting of previous threads, rather than annoying the resident ravening inMATYs.

Tribulatio proxima est
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 October 17, 17:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have read that the only way to get it completely off after un installing lets say a game  is to do a full format of your hard drive. I understand that it is confusing about this protection software. I agree with removing instead of disabling. I was hoping that it could be done. Guess there is no real answer to this. Well I can tell you this if you try to disable it by using the security section of this perticular program, nothing bad happens. I have tried that much I can still play a game that has it.
Thanks for you info it is greatly noted. Thanks

You read wrong. It is entirely possible to remove SecuRom from your computer without reformatting and without removing the game. As has been pointed out already, the instructions are here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9929.0.html and here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,9559.0.html

As for your question about fiddling with security options and the registry, the answer is NO.

Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 October 17, 17:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you I have read that. I actually copied and pasted that info a while back. That will be my last resort. Thank you all it has been fun. Most thanks to those that have actually given me some information. As far as the reformating info lots of people might think that is what you have to do. Glad to know that is not the case and is not necessary to go to all that trouble. Thanks much.
mitchellcjs
The Genius
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 October 17, 17:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last resort?  And here I thought it was the tried and true method.  In all my searching on the net, I have found no other clearly written step by step guide for removing SecuROM from a BV installation.  I hope you don't have to reformat your computer because you fucked with your registry.  Reformatting computers because of SecuROM is a debunked myth.  Reformatting computers because you borked it beyond repair messing with something you shouldn't have is more common, and likely if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing.
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 October 17, 17:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Last resort?  And here I thought it was the tried and true method.  In all my searching on the net, I have found no other clearly written step by step guide for removing SecuROM from a BV installation.  I hope you don't have to reformat your computer because you fucked with your registry.  Reformatting computers because of SecuROM is a debunked myth.  Reformatting computers because you borked it beyond repair messing with something you shouldn't have is more common, and likely if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing.

Things must be different in the land of dams and bunnies with pancakes on their heads. Why anyone would want to mess with their registry and invoke an exploding computer, rather than follow instructions on something that's been shown to work, is beyond me.

Lucrecia Borja
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 October 17, 18:06:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for your info my computer is fine no I did not as you say fuck it up. I am a bit computer savvy and know how to do lots of things with my computer. why is every one so afraid of the registry? Oh I agree yes you can fuck it up. No I have not just with that one perticular soft ware and really nothing has happened to my computer or game or anything.  Actually I only have but one file and that is the file that states the name of the software. There are no longer any additional files that where with it. They are all gone. Just one lonely file sitting in my registry with the name securom. no additional why to see the other files from securom.  I do have all the files of other programs and all files that belong in my registry. But anyway thanks.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 October 17, 18:24:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

why is every one so afraid of the registry? Oh I agree yes you can fuck it up.

Asked and answered?

No I have not just with that one perticular soft ware and really nothing has happened to my computer or game or anything.  Actually I only have but one file and that is the file that states the name of the software. There are no longer any additional files that where with it. They are all gone. Just one lonely file sitting in my registry with the name securom. no additional why to see the other files from securom.  I do have all the files of other programs and all files that belong in my registry. But anyway thanks.

This paragraph is incomprehensible, so:

Found the macro at last.

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: